Miscellaneous NHL Talk V6.0 - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Hakstol needs to be fired immediately, yeah, but we still have to be careful.

In other words, if we say Hakstol's a 2/10, then sure, the vast majority of coaches would be an upgrade. But, hypothetically, I wouldn't want to be hasty and replace a 2/10 with a 3/10 or a 4/10 and be stuck with that new guy for 4+ years. I'd rather be careful, have an interim for a bit, and find a better improvement.

Now, could Q be an upgrade and do great? Sure, I'm not saying he couldn't, I'm just pointing out causes for concern based on what people familiar with his coaching have said. At the very least, it's not a no-brainer move.

I agree with this post, if not your earlier ones, and I think we have to go back to Hexy. What does he actually want? I don't think he wants progressive hockey - I think he wants LA Kings quicksand hockey, and while we have Sandy, we don't have Johnny Quick, so that is a huge problem. On the other hand, I can't imagine he is happy with the TOI NAK (for example) is getting after his call-up. He's not going to say anything publicly, and may not even want to second-guess his son's coach to his face, but I can't imagine he is happy with it.

This doesn't mean I want Hexy fired - I don't. I just want him to have a Come to Jesus moment with himself. I'm not going to hold my breath on that. But why hire Knob in the first place if he doesn't ultimately want the more progressive hockey we saw out of Knob's Erie? So I guess there's some hope on that front.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Brandon Manning is averaging 15:56 TOI and ranks 6th among defenders on Hawks for that (And was healthy scratch once already)

Kunitz is averaging 11:07 TOI

This love and Q overplaying them is nonsense narrative from Hawk fans who hate Q. Also I would point out with Manning the Hawks are currently without Murphy and were without Forsling until recently (He just joined Ice Hogs and is playing his way into shape now 3 games into his year)

How has he been the last three or so seasons at handling young players - how would you characterize his attitude toward them? (I just want to be clear that I am not being sarcastic - sometimes I make it hard to tell lol but I'm sincerely asking you as a Hawks fan.)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yes, coaching matters, but it isn't what wins you games and cups. It can definitely lose them for you though..

Did you watch the Hawks cup wins?

Q outcoached the f*** out of all 3 opposing coaches especially in 2nd half of series (Which was a Q trademark)

And he outclassed AV for 3 years (Only reason Nucks finally got past Hawks was because of cap dismantling 2010 team and Bolland missing start of Nucks series) and other so called great coaches along way to 3 cups

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If anything, this puts a ton more pressure of Hextall. The fans are already restless. Imagine sticking with this doofus while there is a Stanley Cup winning coach out there that the entire fanabase knows.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This goes without saying. Problem is, Hakstol is not capable of this. Quenneville has proven that he is.
Has he though? I mean, Bylsma also won a cup, would anyone here want him?

Like I said, I'm just going by what I read and how scarily similar it sounds to our current problem. The last thing I want is to make a change and not fix our biggest issue.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's an extremely important part of a teams success. That "set-up." We've seen countless times over the years where teams have great rosters but don't go anywhere in the Playoffs.

Just recently, we saw that between 2010 and 2016 with Pittsburgh and then suddenly, with virtually the same roster, they were able to win back-to-back Cups. Hmm, I wonder what changed in 2016?

Coaching matters. There are great coaches.

Other than turning over half their players in a single season, starting the summer before and then bringing in a half dozen players in trades and promotions from the AHL in mid-season.
New players in the 2015-16 Cup season: Kessel, Cullen, Bonino, Fehr, Dumoulin [Lovejoy and Cole were TDL pickups the previous year]
TDL deals: Hagelin, Daley, Schultz
Promotions: Kuhnhackl, Sheary, Rust, Murray

On the other hand Trotz was considered a failure in Washington until he won with basically the same players.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Q outcoached the **** out of all 3 opposing coaches especially in 2nd half of series (Which was a Q trademark)

And he outclassed AV for 3 years (Only reason Nucks finally got past Hawks was because of cap dismantling 2010 team and Bolland missing start of Nucks series) and other so called great coaches along way to 3 cups

So what changed then?

Why is he suddenly not outcoaching teams when the roster got worse? How do we know it wasn't just the roster that caused the success? What specifically did he do to outcoach the opponents?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with this post, if not your earlier ones, and I think we have to go back to Hexy. What does he actually want? I don't think he wants progressive hockey - I think he wants LA Kings quicksand hockey, and while we have Sandy, we don't have Johnny Quick, so that is a huge problem. On the other hand, I can't imagine he is happy with the TOI NAK (for example) is getting after his call-up. He's not going to say anything publicly, and may not even want to second-guess his son's coach to his face, but I can't imagine he is happy with it.

This doesn't mean I want Hexy fired - I don't. I just want him to have a Come to Jesus moment with himself. I'm not going to hold my breath on that. But why hire Knob in the first place if he doesn't ultimately want the more progressive hockey we saw out of Knob's Erie? So I guess there's some hope on that front.
What makes me doubt this is his drafting.

When drafting players he seems to understand what's needed in the present day NHL. Speed, smarts, and skill. If he just wants boring, grinding, Hak-style, hockey, then why even draft guys like Sanheim, TK, Frost, etc?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Has he though? I mean, Bylsma also won a cup, would anyone here want him?

Like I said, I'm just going by what I read and how scarily similar it sounds to our current problem. The last thing I want is to make a change and not fix our biggest issue.

Yes. Absolutely. All you had to do was watch those Chicago teams play during their peak from 2009-2015.

Which biggest issue are you referring to?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Q outcoached the **** out of all 3 opposing coaches especially in 2nd half of series (Which was a Q trademark)

That's how I remember too. It was fun to watch to him coach in the Playoffs, even as I was usually cheering against Chicago for my breaking my heart in 2010. There are few guys I can say that about.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Striiker is right that coaches are needed but the roster has to be solid to win the cup forsure. Scotty Bowman had stacked teams along with Shero and Keenan and sather and Q but Q would be a great hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad