Miscellaneous NHL Talk V6.0 - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
@Striiker, so who would YOU hire if not Q?

This is a good question for you Striiker. Q at least has the track record and has proven to be successful (even if you argue he had a loaded roster). There is something to be said for at least not f***ing up. I feel Hakstol can't even do that and I don't trust Hextall to go out and look for a coach.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is a good question for you Striiker. Q at least has the track record and has proven to be successful (even if you argue he had a loaded roster). There is something to be said for at least not ****ing up. I feel Hakstol can't even do that and I don't trust Hextall to go out and look for a coach.
I honestly have no clue. I'm just extremely wary of anyone who could potentially be more of the same.

I just want someone who knows what year it is and doesn't overvalue intangibles and heaviness. Whoever fits that description works for me.

Not sure how it isn't relevant. Even if he only contributed %1 to those wins, that is still better than Hak and co.
I have no doubt he'd be an improvement, but I just worry he would still be too similar in the worst areas.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Been staying out of this conversation because I don’t pay much attention to most teams other than the flyers but... Are there any coaches in the NHL right now running a system a lot different from the majority of teams? Or is everyone running similar stuff?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What finesse team has won the Cup since 2005?

For all this talk of a new NHL, Penguins added a fat scorer (Kessel) and a bunch of forecheckers and veteran defensive defenseman (Cole, Daley).
Outside of Kane, Blackhawks weren't finesse, Hossa, Toews, etc. Keith might be a mobile D-man, but Seabrook is 6'2 220.

TB got to the 2015 finals, that's pretty much it.

So I'm wondering, exactly when did the NHL change to a league where forechecking, hitting and physical defensemen have no value?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
What finesse team has won the Cup since 2005?

For all this talk of a new NHL, Penguins added a fat scorer (Kessel) and a bunch of forecheckers and veteran defensive defenseman (Cole, Daley).
Outside of Kane, Blackhawks weren't finesse, Hossa, Toews, etc. Keith might be a mobile D-man, but Seabrook is 6'2 220.

TB got to the 2015 finals, that's pretty much it.

So I'm wondering, exactly when did the NHL change to a league where forechecking, hitting and physical defensemen have no value?

You're really going to say the Penguins weren't a finesse team?

Reactions: Jray42

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
So what changed then?

Why is he suddenly not outcoaching teams when the roster got worse? How do we know it wasn't just the roster that caused the success? What specifically did he do to outcoach the opponents?

There was a feud between him and Bowman.

It’s not Q’s fault his idiot GM made dumb trades like trading away a star like Panarin for a plug like Saad.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
@Striker
tumblr_n47ku4wivD1qlfo2so4_250.gif

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I know it’s just talk on a discussion board but I’m not convinced Q would even take the job here, he might retire, I mean Hexy could sell him on the up and coming kids which is a pretty stout selling point but, Q seems like he needs more control then Hexy is willing to give, I don’t know either way, I doubt Hack is going anywhere, so they will continue on in mediocrity until Hexy is axed

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Manning's already been a healthy scratch a couple of times, and I would expect quite a few more of those this season.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Manning's already been a healthy scratch a couple of times, and I would expect quite a few more of those this season.
The way things are trending, Sanheim is on track to pick up a few healthy scratches too.

Clearly playing well won't save him from low playing time.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're really going to say the Penguins weren't a finesse team?
Kessel, Guentzel, Hagelin, Letang, Schultz, Rust, and Sheary don't count. Duh.

The only undersized forward on the 2015-16 team was Carl Hagelin at 5'11 186.
Sheary 5'8 186, Rust 5'11 192 were primarily forecheckers. Think less skilled version of TK this year.
Everyone else was 200+ lbs, including Crosby.
Guenztel came up the next season at 5'11 180, but they also brought in Hainsey, 6'3 205 and Rowney 6'2 206.
Defense: Letang 6'0 201, Dumoulin 6'4 207, Cole 6'1 219, Lovejoy 6'1 205, Daley 5'11 195, Schultz 6'2 193, Maata 6'2 206
Sullivan brought his pressure game from the AHL.

What has changed in the NHL is that slugs no longer have a place in the game, but hitting, pressure, and big defensemen are still valued.
Your bottom six guys tend to be full sized players who can skate but don't have polished skills.
Only "slug" Hextall has drafted in 5 years has been Strome, and that was in the 4th round.
Cousins, Ghost, Leier predate his arrival, Weal is the only undersized player he added.

But look at all the Cup winners, and even the losers other than TB, you won't see a lot of smurfs, if a team has one or two smaller players, they're on a line with bigger forwards or paired with a big defenseman.

Only undersized players on the Caps, Djoos 6'0 169, 10:51 in the playoffs
Nashville 2016, Ryan Ellis 5'10 180
San Jose 2015, Karlsson 6'0 180
Rangers 2014, St Louis 5'8 180, Hagelin 5'11 186, Stralman 5'11 190
And so on. Kings were a big physical team, Bruins, Datsyuk was 5'11 194, Hudler 5'10 190, smallest guys for Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad