Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part 12 - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
That’s because Manning was never as bad as the majority made him out to be. He was the victim of bad situations in Chicago and Edmonton.

True justice would be for the Flyers to pick him up to right the wrong they did for not resigning him. He could slot into the third pairing right now. Let’s go Mandog!!
Bad situation in Philly. Bad situation in Chicago. Bad situation in Edmonton. Maybe he's just bad. Well, not maybe, he's f***ing terrible

Third pairing where? Reading

Last edited:

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
His regular season average TOI since Hakstok:
4dzHjNA.png

Quenneville and Hitchock clearly did not recognize his veteran abilities. His two lowest ATOIs were both not on the Flyers

His play offs TOI:
Y20XJwd.png

Even his last play offs ATOI was still higher than during his stay in CHI or EDM.

Hitchcock has never played him over 20 minutes - 16:50 at best. In Chicago he only played over 20 minutes once - 21:34. In Philadelphia, he has recorded over 20 minutes TOI 32 times. 32 times. They clearly did not love him at all.
Vk1HfaN.png

Data per hockey-reference.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Manning was a 6th/7th defenseman, we paid him what he was worth, then let him walk.
Like some other players, he was a cheap placeholder.
He's not as good as MacDonald, probably the same as Hagg but with zero upside.

FlyerEra2010

May 20, 2010
Lakeville, MN
Lest we forget, Gudas/Manning were used essentially as the #1 pairing IN THE PLAYOFFS after Provy got hurt LESS THAN A YEAR AGO. I'm pretty sure they were 1 and 2 in ES ice time in game 6 last year because I remember losing my mind about it.

I really don't know how I survived the Hakstol era without jumping in front of a bus.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Lest we forget, Gudas/Manning were used essentially as the #1 pairing IN THE PLAYOFFS after Provy got hurt LESS THAN A YEAR AGO. I'm pretty sure they were 1 and 2 in ES ice time in game 6 last year because I remember losing my mind about it.

I really don't know how I survived the Hakstol era without jumping in front of a bus.
They should’ve used Farmer/Hagg.:sarcasm:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Getting a new coach and dumping MacDonald should be the #1 priority of the club this off-season. Literally boggles my brain how many hockey minds see "if he tries, he should be playing but if he doesn't try hard enough, bench him". Getting up a prospect or two next year along with maybe acquiring a center or defensemen would go a long ways for this club.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Manning was a 6th/7th defenseman, and we did not play him like one (see above), we paid him what he was worth, then let him walk.

We had no depth, both on defense and the bottom six.

People still have this stupid notion that bad players play over good players, mediocre veterans play over marginal players and prospects who aren't ready to play on a regular basis. All HCs want to win to keep their jobs, they play the players they think will help them win now (unless they're tanking the season).
Laughton is a perfect example, started for an entire year, played so well he spent the next season in the AHL.

When better players became available, about a dozen scrubs over the past two seasons were sent packing.

The issue isn't the scapegoats, but Holmgren stripping this team bare of talent and screwing up the salary cap. That meant Hextall had to patch a roster together, and the bottom of the roster were scrubs.

Manning, like a lot of marginal players, fell below replacement level in his late 20s, that's pretty normal, Read was finished by 30 and he was a much better player, Raffl at 30 may have a year left, and so on. Guys like Varone who are barely NHL players can't lose a step and remain in the league.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
We had no depth, both on defense and the bottom six.

People still have this stupid notion that bad players play over good players, mediocre veterans play over marginal players and prospects who aren't ready to play on a regular basis. All HCs want to win to keep their jobs, they play the players they think will help them win now (unless they're tanking the season).
Laughton is a perfect example, started for an entire year, played so well he spent the next season in the AHL.

When better players became available, about a dozen scrubs over the past two seasons were sent packing.

The issue isn't the scapegoats, but Holmgren stripping this team bare of talent and screwing up the salary cap. That meant Hextall had to patch a roster together, and the bottom of the roster were scrubs.

Manning, like a lot of marginal players, fell below replacement level in his late 20s, that's pretty normal, Read was finished by 30 and he was a much better player, Raffl at 30 may have a year left, and so on. Guys like Varone who are barely NHL players can't lose a step and remain in the league.

I mean I think this is actually a really good post with a lot of excellent points. In general.

But specifically about Manning, you're wrong. There were always better options than Manning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad