Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part 11 (not II) - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Marian Gaborik was acquired at the 2014 Deadline and was integral to the Kings winning the Cup in 2014.

Ok. Thanks. I actually couldn't think of one off hand. Ya, I guess it rarely works out. Most times it seems like these big acquisitions at the TDL don't actually pan out

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Legit question. Has any team ever done anything w/ a high TDL rental? Seems it never works

Best to make moves in the summer when you have a full year ahead of you imo

In terms of the team winning & that player having a good hand in it? Off the top of my head Gaborik with the Kings years ago.

The odds probably aren’t in your favor for both things to align. I think that’s why teams have started to target guys with term.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Legit question. Has any team ever done anything w/ a high TDL rental? Seems it never works

Best to make moves in the summer when you have a full year ahead of you imo
I was going to say Gaborok, but already been covered. Hossa helped Pitt to a Cup Final loss.
I can’t recall Bourque & Roy’s contract statuses; same with Belfour; but all three forced their teams’ hands.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ok. Thanks. I actually couldn't think of one off hand. Ya, I guess it rarely works out. Most times it seems like these big acquisitions at the TDL don't actually pan out

Blackhawks made TDL acquisitions, 2013, Handzus 23 PG games, 3-8 11 +7, 2015, Vermette 20g 4-37 +5, Desjardins 21g 1-3 4 -4. Kimmo 18g
Pittsburgh wouldn't have won in 2016 without Hagelin 24g 6-10 16 +9 (Perron, Clendening) & Justin Schultz 15g 0-4 4 +1.
Next year, Hainsey 25g 2-6 8 +5.
Kings 2012, Carter, 20g 8-5 13 +0 (Johnson and 1st rd pick), 2014 Gabornik, 26g 14-8 22 +6

Reactions: bobbythebrain

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Just stay away from Panarin and his mercenary attitude. He is the prototypical highly talented locker room cancer who demands big bucks and term and then leaves for the KHL once things are not going his way.
The worry I'd have with Panarin is whether he's willing to play defense, he doesn't have to be great, but he has to be good enough not to negate some of his offense - we're talking paying him $10-11M, so he has to be more than good. But it seems he has improved over his four years in the NHL.
Yep hot garbage.
Interesting posts. IDK if he's hot garbage but he can be a puck hog at times which can stall an offense. He has always been more interested in one end of the ice than the other. My biggest question with a lot of the players from overseas is how much they really are interested in winning the SC. For mostly all NAs its all about the Cup with money being a secondary thing. I just don't know if the Euros/Russkies see things that way. So where does Panarin fit? $10M+/- is a lot to pay for a stat chaser. Whoever gets him needs to hope that he's more than that.

Last edited:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Man you people are terrible.

Panarin is legit game changing forward who we would only pay. No assets involved. He creates more than he needs to defend. The good far out weight the bad with him.

What’s the Flyers cap space number next year counting everyone coming off the books? We need a scoring winger and I would love to add a top line defenseman as well. Just have to be careful we are not too top heavy with the contracts

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Interesting posts. IDK if he's hot garbage but he can be a puck hog at times which can stall an offense. He has always been more interested in one end of the ice than the other. My biggest question with a lot of the players from overseas is how much they really are interested in winning the SC. For mostly all NAs its all about the Cup with money being a secondary thing. I just don't know if the Euros/Russkies see things that way. So where does Panarin fit? $10M+/- is a lot to pay for a stat chaser. Whoever gets him needs to hope that he's more than that.

cherry_don11.jpg

I think you checked off about every stereotype here.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Agreed he sure is no stamkos, suter or rick nash.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher major deadline deals:

2/12/10 Barker for Nick Leddy, Kim Johnson
Barker was only 24, Chicago's #3 pick in 2004 and looked like he was breaking out, 63' 215, 70g 5-16 21 that season, went downhill from there
Leedy #16-09 was still in college, would start the next year for Chicago, Johnson was a throw-in.

3/3/10 #56 for Eric Belanger (32), who would have one more good season

2/28/11 Jeff Penner for Khudobin (24) goalie who has bounced around but had some solid years as a backup

2/24/12 2nd rd pick for Mark Zidlicky (35) D man who played four more seasons

4/3/13 Jason Pominville (30) & 4th rd pick for 1st, 2nd rd picks, Larsson (21) #56 pick who had a meh career,
10 4-5 9 down the stretch run, 60,53, 36, 47 points the next four years for Minnesota, PO: 34g 9-14 23

3/4/14 Bryz (33) for 4th rd pick

3/5/14 Matt Moulson for 2nd rd pick 2014, 2nd rd pick 2016
Moulson 20g 6-7 13 down the stretch, 10 PO games 1-2 3 then left in free agency

1/15/15 Dubynk (28) goalie for 3rd rd pick
39 game .936 down the stretch, .918, .923, .918, .913

2/24/15 Bergenheim (31) & 7th for 2016 3rd
17 1-0 1 down the stretch
3/2/15 Chris Stewart (27) for 2nd rd pick
20g 3-8 11 down the stretch, PO 8g 0-2 2

3/2/15 Jordon Leopard for 5th rd pick

2/16/17 Hanzal (30), White & 4th rd pick for 2018 1st, 2019 2nd
20g 4-9 13 down the stretch, PO 5g 1-0 1 then left in FA

Last edited:

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
For mostly all NAs its all about the Cup with money being a secondary thing. I just don't know if the Euros/Russkies see things that way.
This comes across as xenophobic, and incorrect. In a manner of being akin to the reasons Don Cherry is lambasted as the drunk old uncle who's out of touch with reality.

JT didn't take a pay cut to go to the Leafs with intentions of still winning a Cup. Guys like Alfredsson and Sundin weren't mercenaries only looking for dollars. Didn't McDavid break the bank recently? What, instead of 20% he signed for 18.8%, such a philanthropist!

Be better.

Edit- Ninja'd up above

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The NHLPA is pretty much filled with NA players as far as representatives go & they’re complaining every time they can that they’re not getting their fair share.

It’s a total myth if you don’t think all players are motivated by money regardless of where they come from. Nobody is playing for free & guys aren’t taking considerably less than what the market says they’re worth.

In Panarin’s case it’s even stated that geography is going to be a considerable factor in his decision so much that it could knock his price down a bit.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What the hell is a stat chaser? FOR ****'S SAKE, THE OBJECT OF THE ****ING GAME IS TO SCORE MORE GOALS THAN YOUR OPPONENT!

I swear to god some of these takes make my eyes bleed.
Some people literally don't understand that goals are the entire point of the game.

These are the same people who want Ghost to be traded. Really shows how worthless those hot takes are.

Reactions: kudymen

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
This comes across as xenophobic, and incorrect. In a manner of being akin to the reasons Don Cherry is lambasted as the drunk old uncle who's out of touch with reality.

JT didn't take a pay cut to go to the Leafs with intentions of still winning a Cup. Guys like Alfredsson and Sundin weren't mercenaries only looking for dollars. Didn't McDavid break the bank recently? What, instead of 20% he signed for 18.8%, such a philanthropist!

Be better.

Edit- Ninja'd up above
Xenophobic is one of the most misused and over used words especially nowadays,

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Xenophobic is one of the most misused and over used words especially nowadays,

xen·o·pho·bi·a
Dictionary result for xenophobia

/ˌzenəˈfōbēə,ˌzēnəˈfōbēə/
noun
  1. dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.
Pro tip: Making broad negative generalizations about people from other countries is indeed xenophobic. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad