Miscellaneous NHL Talk (discussion about NHL matters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Lacerated achillies; out indefinitely. Will require surgery per nhl network.

Sucks. Feel bad for sens fans. Backbone of their team and a really fun player to watch.

Really hope he can come back without any issues and be the same player.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Judging from the video, I don't think it was intentional, but you can't rule it out, either.

edit: It did look somewhat careless, though, and if it's to be seen as such a play, then I'm all for a suspension. I don't think they only need to be handed out for intentional transgressions.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I was a casual contributor to Part 1 of the main boards thread, with the position that Cooke's act was (most probably) unintentional but was dangerous and reckless. The more I watch it, though, I'm unsure it was anything more than Cooke trying to regain balance after the initial bump. Cooke's skate doesn't seem to be destabilized by the rut he hit, but I could see how the shoulder-to-shoulder bump could make Cooke lift his foot to regain balance. I don't know.

And once again we have a Zapruder moment.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
i look forward to Don Cherry comment on this.
Was it intentional? who the hell knows. But at the very, very least it was completely reckless play by Cooke.
Lets see how Ottawa handles it the next time they play.

chimrichalds18

the key
Apr 17, 2007
philadelphia
I'm on the fence about that hit. On one hand, things happen so quickly. On the other hand...it's Cooke. Also, his left leg has no business being out there. He puts it out, does the deed, then brings it back closer to him. The more I watch it, the more intentional it looks.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I don't think it was intentional. The entire TSN panel said it wasn't and gave their reasoning and as much as I'd like to see all Pens suspended just for being Pens, I think this was just a hockey play. Guys that have a rep like he does automatically are looked at as guilty but if anyone else did it the scrutiny wouldn't be there.

Hopefully the tear isn't too bad. What a huge blow.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
I don't think it was intentional. The entire TSN panel said it wasn't and gave their reasoning and as much as I'd like to see all Pens suspended just for being Pens, I think this was just a hockey play. Guys that have a rep like he does automatically are looked at as guilty but if anyone else did it the scrutiny wouldn't be there.

Hopefully the tear isn't too bad. What a huge blow.

true, much like Rinaldo is treated by refs.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
CookeHitsKarlsson.gif

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Not sure it was intentional, he went into the boards with Karlsson basically lifting him up and bodying him off the puck. The leg looked like it came down with a little force, but would Cooke really try to do something like that? Hitting is one thing, but cutting someone?

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
Not sure it was intentional, he went into the boards with Karlsson basically lifting him up and bodying him off the puck. The leg looked like it came down with a little force, but would Cooke really try to do something like that? Hitting is one thing, but cutting someone?

I agree.

His leg going up was definitely intentional...it takes a special type of person to intentionally cut someone though. Not sure if Cooke is like that, despite his dirty play over the years. Maybe someone like Bertuzzi would though, he has a history.

Last edited:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
It's hard to believe a professional guy is capable of doing it intentionally but history has shown even worse plays that have almost ended lives (hi Bertuzzi). So it's possible.

Just the fact that its Cooke, he's ended careers before through dirty plays, and this play itself is in doubt I wouldn't shed a tear if he was penalized. Hard to tell if it was intentional but the point is, who cares? It's Matt Cooke. At this point a lot of fans probably want him out of the league.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
It looks to me like his intention was to upend Karlsson over his left leg by lifting Karlsson's right leg while simultaneously trying to leverage his upper body in front of Karlsson's right shoulder and bring him down that way but he failed and went into the boards. It's possible he was trying to slew foot him after that but missed his skate and caught his calf. Just a dumb play by an incredibly dumb person.

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Ya know, I try to remain optimistic about the Flyers chances this season but we've got a really tough road ahead of us. As I said in a previous thread, if you keep the same points to games ratio that a regular season requires (1.12 ppg) to make the playoffs (92 points) then the Flyers would need approximately 54 points to make the 8th seed. I'm not sure how much that total will rise or fall due to the unique schedule this season. But if 54 points remains the minimum then we need approximately 41 points in the next 34 games just to make 8th. We're going to need some really consistent play with a few winning streaks here and there if we want to move up to 5th place or so.

If Bryz continues his strong play I can see us doing some damage. But if he falters and the team is mediocre as it has been, we aren't going to make the playoffs.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Ya know, I try to remain optimistic about the Flyers chances this season but we've got a really tough road ahead of us. As I said in a previous thread, if you keep the same points to games ratio that a regular season requires (1.12 ppg) to make the playoffs (92 points) then the Flyers would need approximately 54 points to make the 8th seed. I'm not sure how much that total will rise or fall due to the unique schedule this season. But if 54 points remains the minimum then we need approximately 41 points in the next 34 games just to make 8th. We're going to need some really consistent play with a few winning streaks here and there if we want to move up to 5th place or so.

If Bryz continues his strong play I can see us doing some damage. But if he falters and the team is mediocre as it has been, we aren't going to make the playoffs.

Making the playoffs isn't the same as doing damage and were not good enough to do damage. Just a poorly constructed team.

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Making the playoffs isn't the same as doing damage and were not good enough to do damage. Just a poorly constructed team.

Don't totally agree with you as this team isn't massively different compared to last year. Sure we lost Jagr and Carle but if we can add a sniper and/or a D-Man at the deadline and Bryz is stellar I believe we can do damage. Mez and Hartnell are injured and G has disappeared. If the Kings can do it so can we.

That being said, I don't think we will do any of that. I think we'll barely make the playoffs and lose in the first round unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad