Miscellaneous NHL Talk (discussion about NHL matters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Thomas Hickey is on waivers.

Let's pick him up

Hickey is another Danny Syvret.

Offensively gifted and put up strong numbers in junior hockey, but clearly doesn't have the same ability at the NHL level nor does he have the required all-around attributes to be an everyday NHL level defenseman.

Hickey was a terrible draft pick by the Kings at 4 overall and were called out for it at the time.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I dont watch much east coast games and I noticed something about Pens fans. I want you guys to clarify since you are their rivals, but is James Neal really that good? Why is he considered an untouchable? I think they make him way too much of a big deal, but I am not sure, so I ask you guys, is he the real deal or do they just hype him way too much?

He's that good. Shero robbed Dallas in that trade. It took him til his first full season to get acclimated with the team (he struggled the season he got traded), but he's a premier power forward in the league.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Bettman will be at the Kings' banner raising but by his choice won't go on the ice. Finally he does something right and will keep the ceremony free of boos.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Only player to get claimed from the waiver wire was Joe Finley by the Isles from Buffalo. Thomas Hickey ect cleared.
The Flyers have put Syvret and Matt Ford on waivers.

Bill Meltzer ‏@billmeltzer
Waiver of Syvret, Ford, etc. is just a formality. They are non-ELC players so they have to be waived to remain w/ Phantoms.

EDIT: I think Hickey is back on wire again today. maybe to get him back to Manchester.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Sam Carchidi
#Flyers Braydon Coburn: "The guys are like caged animals and can't wait to get going."
1:47pm - 14 Jan 13

I'm starting to feel it.:yo:

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Dimitry Kulikov still unsigned and in Russia.

@GeorgeRichards
#FlaPanthers asst GM Mike Santos says he hasn't talked to Dmitry Kulikov's agent in past two days; says he's free to play in KHL as a FA

Richards is apparently a beat writer for the team.

(Not sure where this belongs :laugh:)

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If he hasn't returned to Florida yet, does that really make him easier to get or harder to get?

I don't believe that there are any accounts of him preferring to stay in the KHL to returning to the NHL (in the abstract), so the only think I take from it is that the two sides are not close contract-wise.

Given the Panthers finances, I think this might be a spot where an offer sheet could possibly work--but I doubt they would deal him in a traditional trade for anything we would be happy to part with.

Shayne Gostisbehere was born about 20 minutes from Sunrise, FL.... He'd be a natural replacement for Campbell down the line.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
"@DarrenDreger: Waivers: Nsh claimed Rich Clune from LA; NYI claimed Thomas Hickey from LA."

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
KHL backing off previous hot air statements and sitting Wisnovsky until Isles situation clears up.

NHLPA and league discussing options in the Redden and Gomez situations, possibly letting teams use compliance buyout now, but still carrying the cap hit. Teams gain no advantage and player gets to play somewhere. Thats fair and I hope they work it out, would suck to sit home but being able to play.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
KHL backing off previous hot air statements and sitting Wisnovsky until Isles situation clears up.

NHLPA and league discussing options in the Redden and Gomez situations, possibly letting teams use compliance buyout now, but still carrying the cap hit. Teams gain no advantage and player gets to play somewhere. Thats fair and I hope they work it out, would suck to sit home but being able to play.

What's the incentive for the owners?

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull
Less than 180 canceled season tix during lockout; about 300 bought season tix after lockout ended. #Flyers

so much for stickin' it to the owners

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Frees up a contract slot, perhaps?

Yeah, that's true, but weighed against paying a player and eating his cap hit, only to have him sign for a potential rival at peanuts, I'm not sure they'd do it.

I'd take Gomez on the Flyers at the NHL minimum. Solves our fourth line problem--or, if Laughton impresses, he can slide out to wing.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Yeah, that's true, but weighed against paying a player and eating his cap hit, only to have him sign for a potential rival at peanuts, I'm not sure they'd do it.

I'd take Gomez on the Flyers at the NHL minimum. Solves our fourth line problem--or, if Laughton impresses, he can slide out to wing.

Well they acquired/signed these silly deals, not sure why they deserve any incentive. And we're not talking LeCavalier/Luongo or someone good. A roster spot is award enough IMO.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Well they acquired/signed these silly deals, not sure why they deserve any incentive. And we're not talking LeCavalier/Luongo or someone good. A roster spot is award enough IMO.

I'm not debating whether they "deserve" a benefit, but given that they would have to agree to the change, I think they would need to get something positive out of it.

A roster spot vs. paying a player to (potentially) play for a rival.

Dunno. Guess it depends on how many contracts those teams are carrying.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
I'm not debating whether they "deserve" a benefit, but given that they would have to agree to the change, I think they would need to get something positive out of it.

A roster spot vs. paying a player to (potentially) play for a rival.

Dunno. Guess it depends on how many contracts those teams are carrying.

Good stuff and I don't disagree with you, I'm probably just looking at it more from the players and team side. Screw the owners. ;)

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

God no, he's so soft it's ridiculous. He also went literally almost a calender year not scoring. He's garbage. He's not even camp invite worthy. He's also a former Devil...one of the few that I loathe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad