Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: The "like literally" mid-February 2021 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Lol! If Friedman becomes an impact defenseman for them, I'll pull out my pitchfork.

But until then, I'm sticking with the null hypothesis.
To be fair he only has to not suck completely to help them out while they are in a jam health wise. Against us to boot.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Approx 1.5 seconds after puck moved = 3 games

Approx 1.5 seconds after puck moved = ???

Re: Farabee, if they actually called cross checking ever, he wouldn't have even been able to hit Perrault.

Re: Wilson, guy is a scum sucking piece of shit. The sooner knuckle draggers like him are gone, the sooner these types of his will be out of the league. Which is for the best. While I enjoy big hits, I don't like seeing players get injured from totally unnecessary hits.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Re: Farabee, if they actually called cross checking ever, he wouldn't have even been able to hit Perrault.

Re: Wilson, guy is a scum sucking piece of shit. The sooner knuckle draggers like him are gone, the sooner these types of his will be out of the league. Which is for the best. While I enjoy big hits, I don't like seeing players get injured from totally unnecessary hits.

Yep. Farabee got decked with no call and got up seeing red.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Jeff Skinner is gonna be in so much trouble!

iu

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
The likelihood of having a league made up of people who have never played the game is next to none, even if they weren’t professionals. To me, this is an unreasonable expectation, though I know what you’re trying to say.

Also, I would argue that everyone has biases, player or not. I think no matter what, it will be an imperfect system, especially in cases like this where he actually didn’t make any contact with the head. How do you quantify the necessary suspension here in a black and white manner? I don’t think you can.

It's fine to have ex-NHLers as the vast majority of hockey executives but, goodness, it doesn't take too many brain cells to decide against populating the DoPS with ex-goon types who look back on the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em days with a tear in their CTE-scarred eye. A lot of us here were raised on the BSB days, Legion of Doom, etc., but with the increased speed and rock-hard padding, it becomes a horror to see someone take a blind-side hit and know what that is doing to his brain.

If I am Jankowski, I'll be ready to bring my stick up in the face of the next guy who tries to plow me like that, or I bail and low-bridge him and allow his momentum to crack his own skull.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
It's fine to have ex-NHLers as the vast majority of hockey executives but, goodness, it doesn't take too many brain cells to decide against populating the DoPS with ex-goon types who look back on the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em days with a tear in their CTE-scarred eye. A lot of us here were raised on the BSB days, Legion of Doom, etc., but with the increased speed and rock-hard padding, it becomes a horror to see someone take a blind-side hit and know what that is doing to his brain.

If I am Jankowski, I'll be ready to bring my stick up in the face of the next guy who tries to plow me like that, or I bail and low-bridge him and allow his momentum to crack his own skull.
Oh agreed. I can’t place enough emphasis on getting the right player. I think someone like JVR would be ideal someday. He’s acquitted himself well off the ice and is far from a dirty player.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Oh agreed. I can’t place enough emphasis on getting the right player. I think someone like JVR would be ideal someday. He’s acquitted himself well off the ice and is far from a dirty player.

Optimally it would be a 5-person committee that included an ex-ref and a goaltender, as well as try to select from different eras. Imagine if Paul Stewart and Ken Dryden, for example, were weighing in on disciplinary decisions.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Like I get people essentially want hard line zero tolerance rules but the reality is the NHL & the NHLPA don’t want that. The latter group will just take the bad with it as they don’t want to start getting hit hard in the wallet. The system is created this way on purpose. They want leniency.
I fully agree with you here. After years and years of this I always wanted union brothers to team up and give one of their own an FMJ-style blanket party. Or an aggrieved team to implement a "Tom Wilson gets a two-hander to the face from a different player every single shift he skates" policy -- players get penalties and short suspensions, but nobody misses a season with a broken neck and the owner pays the fines. There are power relations that have yet to be explored, including rather extreme tactics -- but they like the wild west.

My guess is that it will continue this way until someone is very obviously paralyzed or killed outright on the ice. Anything that got outside lawyers involved could bring down the entire league pretty quickly ... but players seem to not want to cross that line preemptively, just want to put in their time and get out before it's their turn for the really bad luck.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The guys in the 2nd row aren’t even wearing masks. :laugh:
While dumb I was just assuming they were eating and the Rangers scored and they stood up to cheer.

They shouldn’t allow eating in the bowl though to prevent that kind of thing though.

I know the Flyers are strict about that with the writers. They have to go out to the concourse to eat or drink anything.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I was at a MJHL game earlier when they were playing and two young guys and girls walked in and sat down . The two guys had no masks on at all and thought they were cool in front of their girls . The arena staff left them for a min to see if they would put a mask on but they just sat their . The arena staff then walked over and explained that they needed to wear a mask and explained why and then they proceeded to pull masks out of their pockets and put them on .

As soon as the staff member left they pulled the masks below their noses and a few mins later had them below their mouths . After about another 5 mins another staff member came over and just started at them like Army Drill Sargant , it was great . Everybody just started to laugh at them and guess what : they kept them on the rest of the game .

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad