Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: Pre-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
If they're serious about trying to win the Cup they'll probably keep him for the season and he can walk as a UFA. They don't have to move him.

Vasilevsky will get claimed by Vegas

Edit: He has a NMC and would have to be protected if TB kept him beyond this year, and they would be forced to expose Vasilevsky. He has to be moved. Or bought out.

Edit2: For all the credit Yzerman gets for being a genius on the main boards. He sure leaves himself in a lot of vulnerable positions in regards to cap space and losing players for nothing. He's also signed quite a number of questionable deals that could potentially be or are cap killers.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
They would protect him over Bishop if they had no intentions of bringing back Bishop. He has an NMC but you're not forced to protect players with NMC's on expiring contracts.

My fault I thought he had a year left. Disregard what I said earlier, well half of it anyway.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
They're not going to move Vasilievskiy.

If they try to move Bishop and can't, you don't think they'd try to move him? Bishop is a UFA and unless someone desperately needs a goalie at the deadline, they're likely not going to have any dance partners. With AV, on the other hand, they'll have a ton. Bishop is a good goalie, Vasilievsky is likely going to be better, but if you get a huge haul for Vasilievsky while re-signing Bishop, you've got a potentially better deal overall.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If they try to move Bishop and can't, you don't think they'd try to move him? Bishop is a UFA and unless someone desperately needs a goalie at the deadline, they're likely not going to have any dance partners. With AV, on the other hand, they'll have a ton. Bishop is a good goalie, Vasilievsky is likely going to be better, but if you get a huge haul for Vasilievsky while re-signing Bishop, you've got a potentially better deal overall.

Nope. They'll value keeping the younger cheaper goalie of the two which is Vasilievskiy.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Nope. They'll value keeping the younger cheaper goalie of the two which is Vasilievskiy.
Especially since their core is still young and their window will be open for many more years. It's not really a win now or never situation for them.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Bishop came second in vezina voting, so I'm not sure I would be ready to say Vasilievsky is superior. Also Tampa won't trade Bishop just because he is ufa. They need solid backup plan for playoffs. Remember the year when their backup was Lindback and Bishop got injured? I don't think they want a repeat of that.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Bishop came second in vezina voting, so I'm not sure I would be ready to say Vasilievsky is superior. Also Tampa won't trade Bishop just because he is ufa. They need solid backup plan for playoffs. Remember the year when their backup was Lindback and Bishop got injured? I don't think they want a repeat of that.
Vasilevskiy may not be superior yet, but do they even have a choice but to commit to him?
Johnson, Palat, Drouin, Sustr and Nesterov all need new contracts next year.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Bishop had his bags packed for Calgary over the summer he was that close to being traded.

Bishop said his camp was "in the process" of working out a potential contract with Calgary, but the Flames instead acquired Bishop's former Blues teammate, Brian Elliott, from St. Louis on June 24 for a second round pick and conditional third round pick in 2018.

They're keeping Vasilevsky.

Last edited:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Vasilevskiy may not be superior yet, but do they even have a choice but to commit to him?
Johnson, Palat, Drouin, Sustr and Nesterov all need new contracts next year.

Doesn't mean they can't let Bish play out his contract. Look at Bruins last year, they knew well ahead they won't be able to resign Eriksson and compared to goalies they could have gotten a haul for him, yet they decided to keep him and called it their TDL acquisition.

Given the contract situation and age difference they would be dump to keep Bishop over Vasilievsky though.

Bishop will be almost 31 to start the next season, perfect age for him to sign a stupid fat contract.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly

One small problem, that salary cap is a *****. They have zero chance of giving Bishop 6+ million per year. Especially with a talented kid ready to go. No chance he's in Tampa next year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
One small problem, that salary cap is a *****. They have zero chance of giving Bishop 6+ million per year. Especially with a talented kid ready to go. No chance he's in Tampa next year.

Well, it is likely that one of Killorn, Johnson, or Palat is gone in the expansion draft, so that frees up about $3-$4 million in cap space right there. And if Vasilievsky is gone as well, that's another $3.5 million gone, which would give them ~$19 million in cap space next offseason. Even if Bishop gets $7 million, they'd have room to fill out the rest of the lineup without having to make any cap sacrifices (or caprifices, as I will call them from now on). It really wouldn't surprise me either way.

The logical move, I agree is Vasilievsky from a team standpoint. He's younger and has a better contract. But he is not as good right now as Bishop is. In addition, I'm sure teams would be lining up to trade for Vasilievsky.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Now that the season has started and they are basically in the ****. It is interesting how this is playing out.

Almost like the Penguins were told by LV GM they will take Fleury.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Bishop had his bags packed for Calgary over the summer he was that close to being traded.

Bishop said his camp was "in the process" of working out a potential contract with Calgary, but the Flames instead acquired Bishop's former Blues teammate, Brian Elliott, from St. Louis on June 24 for a second round pick and conditional third round pick in 2018.

They're keeping Vasilevsky.

Lazy writing there. Bishop and Elliott were teammates in Ottawa.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Good catch. Bishop did play for the Blues, but it was before Elliott was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad