Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: Pre-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
So glad NBC broadcasted that thrilling battle of the geezers in New York over this game. Blocked shots and players hydrating with prune juice -- that's how you grow the game! :)

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I'd kill to have either Matthews or Laine on this team.

For both IMO:

-Matthews is the 2nd best prospect since Crosby trailing only behind McDavid
-Laine is the best goal scoring prospect since Ovechkin. I have never seen a prospect with his shot since Ovechkin

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
This new NHL.com is terrible. Why is it so difficult to find a recap of all the major plays in a game?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
NHL Network also sucks now. They should more of their played out "Top 25 Comebacks" type videos than they do the highlighte of the night before. When I turn NHL Network on a 830 AM I should be able to watch highlights of last nights games.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Matt Murray signs 3 year deal....3.75 million per year.

Not sure I get the wisdom of doing that now. They will have zero leverage in trading Fluery. They will have to except pennies on the dollar or sweeten the deal.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Not sure I get the wisdom of doing that now. They will have zero leverage in trading Fluery. They will have to except pennies on the dollar or sweeten the deal.

If a team legitimately wants/needs Fleury, the fact that the Penguins have Murray locked up won't change what they're willing to give up. They were obviously going to re-sign Murray anyway. Nothing's really changed except confirmation of the obvious.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah. He'd be perfect for them.
High cap hit, known commodity, very marketable, two time Cup champion etc.

If worst came to worst and the Pens were in danger of losing Murray to Vegas because of MAF's NMC, I think they would buy out MAF.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Since Friedman said the Flyers talked about Mason it shows where Hextalls mind is it seems. We have a large group of goalie prospects that are close or getting closer. I think hexy doesn't want to pay Mason a large contract for long term. Maybe he re-signs Neuvy to a short term deal around 2.5-3 million and rolls about 41-41 games with a youngster next year. That reduces the load on Neuvy and gives out goalie(whoever that may be) an opportunity to make an impact. If we use a young goalie we know they will play him. Hexy doesn't believe in bringing them up and sitting them.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
A bunch of Goalie prospects be damned. We spent forever looking for a legitimate #1 netminder and Mason has been great since he's been here and still has a LOT of great years ahead of him. Neuvirth has been solid as well. But there is a difference between playing in sporadic starts throughout the season vs. being the guy carrying the load. Not resigning Mason would be a very costly mistake IMO.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
A bunch of Goalie prospects be damned. We spent forever looking for a legitimate #1 netminder and Mason has been great since he's been here and still has a LOT of great years ahead of him. Neuvirth has been solid as well. But there is a difference between playing in sporadic starts throughout the season vs. being the guy carrying the load. Not resigning Mason would be a very costly mistake IMO.

Maybe. But if Mason wants too much money or term I'd rather Hextall stand firm.

Something like 6 x 6 for Mase doesn't seem like a good bet when Stolarz will be 23 next year and Lyon will be 24/25.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I like Mason and I think he's performed well in the regular season and decent in the playoffs. If he wants something like what Curufinwe is saying I would prefer to lose him to UFA vice sign him. I don't think any goalie playing right now is worth over 6 million but I can understand re-signing a player like Quick for more than 6 given that he won a cup with them.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Precap there would be no question the Flyers should hold onto Mason or any other good player. However the salary cap has created a system where a GM has to take chances on younger cheaper players. That's just the reality. It would great if Hextall can get him on a two year deal to give the rookies more time but it's doubtful Mason would except that. So now do the Flyers spend big long term with extensions to Provorov and Konecny needed in two years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad