Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: Off-Season Edition IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I have been blasted by many people for saying it seems like the nhl holds a grudge of some sort on the flyers because we get screwed by them constantly

Usually, but we did get a lot of favorable rulings throughout the season on some rather contentious incidents — those being Gudas' string of hits on Catenacci, Lessio and Farnham and Simmonds' punch on McDonagh.

We did get absolutely shafted on the headshots to VdV and Giroux, though.

Last edited:

boodangleroo28

Jul 9, 2010
I bought NHL 17 the other day and played draft champions and got to use Lindros and Hextall. Is there anyway to get them in other modes? Would love to put Lindros on my team to start a franchise

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Usually, but we did get a lot of favorable rulings throughout the season on some rather contentious incidents — those being Gudas' string of hits on Catenacci, Lessio and Farnham and Simmonds' punch on McDonagh.

We did get absolutely shafted on the headshots to VdV and Giroux, though.

You mean we got shafted from the McDonagh/Simmonds incident? McDonagh got away with a clear cross-check to the head.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You mean we got shafted from the McDonagh/Simmonds incident? McDonagh got away with a clear cross-check to the head.

No one cared though after Glass Jaw McDonagh took a glove punch and toppled like a Jenga tower.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The garbage this guy has spouted about Morin, Myers and Gudas over the past couple of years could fill a warehouse.

Haha, really? Like posing a question about Morin about when we should start to be concerned about his development? What else have I said about Morin, because I'm pretty sure that's about it and saying I'd trade him for Drouin (which I still would). Is that garbage...are we not allowed to ever ask a question about a prospect's development or suggest a trade of a guy for another high-end player? As for Myers...similarly, all I said was essentially to hold off on getting excited about the guy until he puts it together for a full season, not just a handful of games, which after he did I said he certainly has shown that he is better than I thought. Do we have to get a ***** about every player that shows a flash every week?

And Gudas I said he was a dime-a-dozen which I've gone back and said that I was wrong about that, and I certainly wasn't alone in saying that and I'm certainly not the first person on these boards to say a player is bad (or good) and be wrong about it.

Nobody is acting any way. Reinhart will never be more than a bottom pairing defenseman while the progress Morin has made is extremely encouraging. Reinhart on the other was already traded by a team who drafted him highly and he still is struggling to make the big team. Morin was known to be a raw prospect which is why he is still developing. You seem to always forget important aspects of players profiles when defending against others. Different players but Morin by far is the better prospect right now and going forward. Not playing in the NHL has nothing to do with that.

Reinharts biggest issue which is tough to teach at his age, skating. That will be a hurdle that he most likely never overcome to become a better player

That's all fine. If you go back to the Reinhart vs. Morin discussion there was really nothing crazy said. That I hadn't heard much about his season to that point which led me to believe that Morin was not having a particularly good or bad season. Morin when drafted was 2-3 years away. We are now entering that three year mark and there is no indication that Morin will be in the NHL to start the season and I'm not so sure he's the first call up depending on who is sent down, the play of Sanheim, or other defenders who are on the team. Its funny that no one is concerned that he isn't really an option for the team out of camp and that he was passed by Ghost, Provolone, and Sanheim on the depth chart (and maybe even Myers depending on who you ask). I wonder what the perception of Morin would be if he were a Penguins prospect? Probably the same.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Reinharts given people many reasons to doubt his ability/future, meanwhile no reason to doubt Morin. I'm not saying Morin's a lock to be a great player, just that there's no reason to worry about him at all yet, while there's obviously a reason to worry about Reinhart.

One of these players is far below average at skating, the other is a very good skater. I think by now everyone should realize that skating is an incredibly important attribute in the NHL, not even being average makes the chances of making it in the NHL pretty damn slim. Morin has no glaring weaknesses, he's not far above average in every single category, but he's not completely hopeless at anything either. Reinhart has seriously disappointed since being drafted, Morin's done nothing but improve every year.

Very different players in very different situations... there's no reason to even bring Morin up when people laugh at Reinhart.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Why would anybody be concerned that Morin might not make the team out of camp knowing the GM & his philosophies? :laugh:

There's been multiple members of the organization that not only have said that Morin is developing fine but ahead of schedule where they initially expected heading into pro.

As for call-up's you're not calling Sanheim up to fill a defensive/PK role. So if Schultz, Gudas, MacDonald, Manning, etc. (which ever ones are consistently playing) Morin's going to be your guy.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Why would anybody be concerned that Morin might not make the team out of camp knowing the GM & his philosophies? :laugh:

There's been multiple members of the organization that not only have said that Morin is developing fine but ahead of schedule where they initially expected heading into pro.

Because when he was drafted it was pretty much a consensus that he'd take 2-3 years. We are at year three and he's not likely to be in the nhl without and injury or trade, and even then it is not a lock given the rest of the talent and potental that amac may be in the minors. Who said he is ahead of schedule, btw? I have not seen that.

As for call-up's you're not calling Sanheim up to fill a defensive/PK role. So if Schultz, Gudas, MacDonald, Manning, etc. (which ever ones are consistently playing) Morin's going to be your guy.

That's fine. I'm not saying he won't get called up, just that he may not be first line. All I'm saying is a guy drafted in the first round in 2013 is not in the NHL right now and won't be unless there's an injury. Then next season he will presumably be battling Sanheim, Myers, and Hagg (and maybe even Friedman, Wilcox, or others). He is not even a lock to make it next year it would seem even if we ditch AMac. Provolone, Ghost, MDZ, Gudas will be here, that leaves two spots. I'd expect Sanheim to be in line for one and Morin for the other...but that assumes we don't sign anyone, trade anyone, or get unexpected help from Hagg or other prospects. Patience is great, but at some point you have to think maybe it is better to either trade him or be concerned that there just isn't room for him here.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I bought NHL 17 the other day and played draft champions and got to use Lindros and Hextall. Is there anyway to get them in other modes? Would love to put Lindros on my team to start a franchise

Lindros and Hextall can both be obtained in HUT. For the Franchise mode stuff you'd probably have to create them yourself.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Because when he was drafted it was pretty much a consensus that he'd take 2-3 years. We are at year three and he's not likely to be in the nhl without and injury or trade, and even then it is not a lock given the rest of the talent and potental that amac may be in the minors. Who said he is ahead of schedule, btw? I have not seen that.

That's fine. I'm not saying he won't get called up, just that he may not be first line. All I'm saying is a guy drafted in the first round in 2013 is not in the NHL right now and won't be unless there's an injury. Then next season he will presumably be battling Sanheim, Myers, and Hagg (and maybe even Friedman, Wilcox, or others). He is not even a lock to make it next year it would seem even if we ditch AMac. Provolone, Ghost, MDZ, Gudas will be here, that leaves two spots. I'd expect Sanheim to be in line for one and Morin for the other...but that assumes we don't sign anyone, trade anyone, or get unexpected help from Hagg or other prospects. Patience is great, but at some point you have to think maybe it is better to either trade him or be concerned that there just isn't room for him here.

You were essentially saying the same thing about Gostisbehere heading into last year & how did that turn out? :laugh:

Let things play out for at least this year & reevaluate in the offseason (more than likely that's going to be Hextall's approach). There's a lot of assumptions in your scenario that need to actually play out first.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You were essentially saying the same thing about Gostisbehere heading into last year & how did that turn out? :laugh:

Not sure exactly what was said about Ghost but IIRC it was something that I was concerned his size would be an issue and that I'd be open to trading him for another high-end prospect, such as Anthony Mantha since we don't have any big time goal scorers in the pipeline. Now Mantha is going to be in his first NHL season this year it would seem. I wouldn't do that trade now, but I'm Not sure there's a "how'd that turn out" moment there. Mantha could have a good rookie season and Ghost may regress (which I know is not popular here but is actually possible).

Let things play out for at least this year & reevaluate in the offseason (more than likely that's going to be Hextall's approach). There's a lot of assumptions in your scenario that need to actually play out first.

Those assumptions are the most likely scenarios tgough, are they not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad