Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: Off-Season Edition IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Just so I'm clear, what is the outlook on Morin? Same as draft day? And is he still our top defensive prospect? Because if not then I'm not sure where this discussion is going.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
So anyways, crazy offseason huh? Alot of youngsters refusing to go to camp, wanting to be paid with no bridge deals, the cap needs to start rising if everyone wants to demand 6+ as soon as the elc is done

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just so I'm clear, what is the outlook on Morin? Same as draft day? And is he still our top defensive prospect? Because if not then I'm not sure where this discussion is going.

You do know that someone can be drafted, do exactly what you hoped for, and still have others "leapfrog" him. It has nothing to do with Morin, but to do with the others.

But you know this, you just liked to be difficult.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So anyways, crazy offseason huh? Alot of youngsters refusing to go to camp, wanting to be paid with no bridge deals, the cap needs to start rising if everyone wants to demand 6+ as soon as the elc is done

Well Gaudreau, Kucherov, & Lindholm are legitimately worth that. Trouba I think it's more so a case of him wanting to be traded so he's not going to sign until that happens. If he signs then Winnipeg can kind of take their time even more. If he doesn't then the deadline for him to be eligible to play this year is December 1st. If he's not signed by then he's not eligible to play for the rest of the year. Rieder they're fighting over like $400-500K on a two year deal. Rakell it seems like Anaheim wants to go long term on a smaller cap hit while he doesn't want to. I don't know what the deal is with Ristolaninen but he's skating with the team without a contract.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You do know that someone can be drafted, do exactly what you hoped for, and still have others "leapfrog" him. It has nothing to do with Morin, but to do with the others.

But you know this, you just liked to be difficult.

Absolutely. But if we keep drafting better players than him what does that say about him? When he was drafted he was 2-3 years away, but he was supposed to be a top pair guy. We're now entering year three and he's not in the NHL and may not be next in line for a call up. I don't care if that's because he sucks or because we drafted 12 Bobby Orr clones, the fact is it us a real possibility he is not going to be here in the 2-3 years we all expected, and I'm not sure everyone still sees him as a future top pair guy. But I'm just being difficult. No need to worry.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Sorry for being ignorant, the game today is not televised but won't there any stream either? They don't stream it in the flyers website?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hey guys you think it's time for the Leafs to worry about Nylander or Marner? I mean they both got leapfrogged by Matthews and, as we all know, that takes away from their potential and skill. :laugh:

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
Hey guys you think it's time for the Leafs to worry about Nylander or Marner? I mean they both got leapfrogged by Matthews and, as we all know, that takes away from their potential and skill. :laugh:

That's actually a marvelous response to the above. Great comparable.

On a side note, wish tonight's game was televised. We're seeing 5/6th of our ideal D in 2-3 years as it currently stands.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Well if the Leafs expected them to be in the NHL at this point and it looked like it might not happen and the limited NHL roster spots were pencilled in for other players then yea. But that's not the case in Toronto, is it? Nylander was in the NHL last year and played well, and by all accounts Marner will be this year. But yeah...same thing I guess.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

We need to worry about how we will get cap compliant with Pronger still on the roster. Such a shame we weren't able to trade him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well if the Leafs expected them to be in the NHL at this point and it looked like it might not happen and the limited NHL roster spots were pencilled in for other players then yea. But that's not the case in Toronto, is it? Nylander was in the NHL last year and played well, and by all accounts Marner will be this year. But yeah...same thing I guess.

I'm sure some fan over there pulled an arbitrary timeframe out of their ass just like you did.

I'd bet Hextall/Holmgren are smart enough to not do such a thing when drafting prospects. They wait until they're ready, they definitely don't create a concrete schedule that the player must follow, otherwise being labeled a concern or bust.

And if your response to this is anything like "that was the consensus from other fans/media/scouts" (and I doubt that it was) then my response will be "so ****ing what?". If that's what one of these idiot writers said or a fan who was merely guessing, then you should be able to realize just how irrelevant that opinion is and you definitely shouldn't be using that as your main reason for being so worked up by his development path. What was actually consensus was that he was a long term project, that people would need to be patient.

As for my Leafs example, there were plenty of people who said that Marner and Nylander would be full time NHLers by now... the fact that they aren't means nothing other than that the Leafs are being careful with them and now going by fan made timelines. And like you said yourself, it's easier for forwards to make the team than defensemen so I guess by your logic they warrant extra concern.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm more worried about finding a way to fit Manthas future contract under the cap, to be honest.

It's a concern, but at least we got rid of that bum Ghost who couldn't even make the Flyers out of camp at age 22.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

That should end that terrible conversation..

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Absolutely. But if we keep drafting better players than him what does that say about him? When he was drafted he was 2-3 years away, but he was supposed to be a top pair guy. We're now entering year three and he's not in the NHL and may not be next in line for a call up. I don't care if that's because he sucks or because we drafted 12 Bobby Orr clones, the fact is it us a real possibility he is not going to be here in the 2-3 years we all expected, and I'm not sure everyone still sees him as a future top pair guy. But I'm just being difficult. No need to worry.

Stop saying everyone expected 2-3 years. It's factually wrong. Maybe you did, but then say that.

I still don't understand where this attitude that he was always supposed to be a top pairing guy came in to play. I remember him mostly being hyped as a potential 2nd pairing guy who could play special teams, but needed significant time to gain the strength required to play his game at the NHL level.

Do you mean people talking about how high his theoretical ceiling could be? That's a far cry from "supposed to be a top pair guy".

Here's the ESPN writeup on the pick, since it came up first in a quick Google:

Team analysis: He’s like a meaner version of Jared Tinordi. He’ll remind Flyers of Brad McCrimmon, probably a No. 3 or 4 D in time with a left shot. Plays in his own end with potential for 150 PIMs. Not a pick made for offense, but defense is what Philly needs most. — Starman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad