Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVI: Maybe Something Will Happen In This One...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's my line.
maxresdefault.jpg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So who the hell do I have to look forward to next year? Dougie Hamilton is the one off the top of my head.
This was one reason I was with you about pushing chips to the middle, Pietrangelo. Vegas was looking to fill this role for 3 years. These guys just aren't out there. They don't just become available.

Which is why it was so stupid that the Blues didn't get that done.

I would've been pleased to give Pietrangelo $70m to come here. All of this presumes he would've been interested.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Yep. Also I'd just like to point out how meaningless the cap is if a team decides it isn't. Obviously teams have to be cap compliant but the Leafs year in and year out under Dubas makes moves and shed cap if they have to and now we see Vegas about to do the same thing.
Dubas ended up trading 13th overall just to get rid of the last year of Marleau's 3 year deal. I'd say that is pretty meaningful

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
VGK are going to be great for a few years, but my god, after that cup window closes, it's going to be dark days.

I live for the darkness.

Reactions: Jtown

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
VGK are going to be great for a few years, but my god, after that cup window closes, it's going to be dark days.

I live for the darkness.
It's not always going to be like this, but Vegas will always be a destination so they will always have that advantage.

Reactions: Tripod

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The thing that really benefitted Vegas were the expansion rules. That was something Bettman was adamant about. If they were going to make them spend $500M to enter the league, they had to give them a better chance and they did the last round of expansion. Took those teams forever to get off the ground and no quality free agent ever wanted to go to any of them until Parise and Suter went to Minnesota, that was in year 12. One of them had to move. Blue Jackets are only just now getting around to being relevant.

Reactions: flyersNducks

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The thing that really benefitted Vegas were the expansion rules. That was something Bettman was adamant about. If they were going to make them spend $500M to enter the league, they had to give them a better chance and they did the last round of expansion. Took those teams forever to get off the ground and no quality free agent ever wanted to go to any of them until Parise and Suter went to Minnesota, that was in year 12. One of them had to move. Blue Jackets are only just now getting around to being relevant.
Wait, the Blue Jackets are relevant?

Reactions: renberg

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017

going to be interesting to see how Seattle does cus teams are preparing for this

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
This was one reason I was with you about pushing chips to the middle, Pietrangelo. Vegas was looking to fill this role for 3 years. These guys just aren't out there. They don't just become available.

Which is why it was so stupid that the Blues didn't get that done.

I would've been pleased to give Pietrangelo $70m to come here. All of this presumes he would've been interested.

I think he had zero intention of going anywhere but Vegas once the Blues let him walk.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wait, the Blue Jackets are relevant?
I said they're just now getting around to it.

The other thing was going from 21 to 30 teams within 10 years was completely insane, if those teams did have these expansion draft rules, the GM would've ben driven completely batshit.

I think he had zero intention of going anywhere but Vegas once the Blues let him walk.
That seems to be the case, for wanting to go and visit potential suitors, that ended after precisely one visit.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
going to be interesting to see how Seattle does cus teams are preparing for this
I think they're in a better position. They might not be better on Day 1 than Vegas, but there's going to be so many teams desperate to dump money on them. Feels kind of satisfying that we very probably will not be one of them. We could coerce them to take JVR, but we're also in a position where we can just send them a list and not do anything but let them select a guy and live with it. The expectations for Seattle will certainly be there, they shouldn't be going into this thinking that they hope to make the playoffs in 5 years. They'll be able to ice a playoff team in Year 1 if they want to.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I think they're in a better position. They might not be better on Day 1 than Vegas, but there's going to be so many teams desperate to dump money on them. Feels kind of satisfying that we very probably will not be one of them. We could coerce them to take JVR, but we're also in a position where we can just send them a list and not do anything but let them select a guy and live with it. The expectations for Seattle will certainly be there, they shouldn't be going into this thinking that they hope to make the playoffs in 5 years. They'll be able to ice a playoff team in Year 1 if they want to.
idk why but I think it might be worse than vegas. They absolutely stole some pieces. Fla just gave them marchassault and smith which sped things up immensely. They got WK (their whole top line the cup run) and Theodore easily too. I just can't see Seattle getting as much as vegas did.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Dubas ended up trading 13th overall just to get rid of the last year of Marleau's 3 year deal. I'd say that is pretty meaningful

Never make a trade with Carolina is the most important lesson. Also, Lou Lamoriello leaves old veteran-y messes. But you're right of course, although I imagine the Leafs didn't expect it would be 13, but they also turned around and traded Kapanen and spare parts for 15+Hallander. They had 12 picks this draft and drafted a top half 1st talent last season in the late 2nd (without having their 1st).

You can't fly by the seat of your pants, but good teams are good teams because they have good players and some other team probably overrates many of them. Poorly run teams can't purposefully take a bath on a single trade, but the top teams, especially the no income tax ones? Jeff Goldblum?

giphy.gif

It's not always going to be like this, but Vegas will always be a destination so they will always have that advantage.

Jury is still out on their scouting, but Glass, Elvenes, Dugan, Morozov, Krebs, Brisson, Hague, Roy in the wings.....I'd lean towards them being one of the better teams, and that's without the hits they traded. They should find some solid depth among that group. Their NHL evaluations speak for themselves.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
idk why but I think it might be worse than vegas. They absolutely stole some pieces. Fla just gave them marchassault and smith which sped things up immensely. They got WK (their whole top line the cup run) and Theodore easily too. I just can't see Seattle getting as much as vegas did.
Vegas deserves a lot of credit for not settling for being the typical expansion franchise and being ultra aggressive since day one. That being said, they lucked into a lot of shit.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Vegas deserves a lot of credit for not settling for being the typical expansion franchise and being ultra aggressive since day one. That being said, they lucked into a lot of shit.
100% they got very lucky. They also made some great trades, got picks, and agreed to take other players (who turned out to be great for them) instead of ones they wanted

Everlong

Jun 21, 2018
If teams learned anything from the Vegas expansion draft it would be to just take the hit of the pick and move on. It’s nepotism NHL front offices so the lesson wont have been learned.

Dougie Hamilton is by far the best UFA defenseman next off season. He is reportedly a unique individual that might prefer a smaller market and less attention.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
There are no buyouts allowed until next offseason, correct? So is there a hypothetical scenario where Vegas has to forfeit the entire season because no GM pulls the trigger on trades to get them under?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad