Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: 2016/17 Season, Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Evander Kane would be on my list of top guesses for guys who are just happy to be in the NHL. His money phone is ringing constantly. Perhaps Ryan O'Money also?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What's the minimum number of "games played" to qualify for those types of bonuses?

On my phone, but I believe it's the same as qualifying for the leaderboards. Point rate would be .625 points per 82 games, so 51.25 total points and above. I remember not being able to find it in the CBA previously.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
ROR has said similar things recently as well. I take it more as a shot at management than anything.

Why would he specifically say dressing room then? That doesn't sound like a shot at management. I think if you're going to call out management you would make a statement of "I'm not sure everyone in the organization has the same desire to win".

Per the article he said

"I think guys want to win, but there's a difference between saying you want to win and actually wanting to win and putting the work in and dedicating your life to it,"

That sounds a lot more like a subtle shot at other players.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Why would he specifically say dressing room then? That doesn't sound like a shot at management. I think if you're going to call out management you would make a statement of "I'm not sure everyone in the organization has the same desire to win".

"I think guys want to win, but there's a difference between saying you want to win and actually wanting to win and putting the work in and dedicating your life to it,"

That sounds a lot more like a subtle shot at other players.

Ultimately he's trying to force change. You can't call out coaching or management broadly because everybody knows you're talking about Byslma & Murray in that instance. When he calls out unnamed teammates that's 20 something guys to pick from.

Now I haven't a watched a whole lot of their games but looking at their roster I'd venture a guess that a bigger problem with them is that a lot of guys don't have much potential if any at all to play up to opposed to them not trying. Problems are then made worse with a lame duck coach in Byslma.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hextall has to be seriously considering this..

Sutter will probably retire but still.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Wow. There are aspects of Sutter's teams that seem like they would match with Hextall's philosophies, but the personnel doesn't seem like a fit. Not sure I see it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You have to give credit to Lombardi, first guy to GM two teams at the same time with the Flyers & Kings.

Surprised they outright fired him though. I figured they would have just moved him to a bigger job title with less responsibility.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I wonder what Blake's going to do. There could be some big trades this summer if they decide to rebuild which they should IMO.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Wow. There are aspects of Sutter's teams that seem like they would match with Hextall's philosophies, but the personnel doesn't seem like a fit. Not sure I see it.

I agree. Not sure I want to see this. He's a good coach, but not sure he is the right coach.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A dinosaur like Tortorella actually did what coaches should do this year with the way he handled Gagner. Sheltered bottom six minutes (not next to some stiffs who can't do anything without the puck) with a good dose of PP time. That's how you're going to maximize guys like Gagner & make them a useful player.

Problem is you need a deep roster b/c he's basically a PP guy who you want out there for limited minutes, sorta the photo-negative of the 4th line checker who you primarily carry for PK and line matchups.

You can carry these guys if you have some solid two way bottom six guys who allow you to work around them when the need arises.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's not a fourth line in the league that can consistently go up against the higher lines & not get burnt badly eventually. No coach is actively chasing those matchups through out the year. On average your bottom six is mostly going against the other teams bottom six. The need for these "prototypical fourth liners" is such a myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad