Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: 2016/17 Season, Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Sutter has past success but that's with a way better team than where the Flyers currently are. Ultimately he's just another dinosaur stuck in old ways & that's exactly what this organization needs to get away from right now.

That's not a defense of Hakstol as I don't think really think highly of him at all just that I'm not down for any ole coach who's not named Hakstol at this point.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I understand not wanting an older coach, but Sutter > Hakstol AINEC

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
kings fire dean lombardi and darryl sutter

Sorry not good with links on my phone source is associated press

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's not a fourth line in the league that can consistently go up against the higher lines & not get burnt badly eventually. No coach is actively chasing those matchups through out the year. On average your bottom six is mostly going against the other teams bottom six. The need for these "prototypical fourth liners" is such a myth.

That's funny, because I remember a number of games where G & V were harrassed and boxed in by an opposing "checking line."

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Any interest in either of them knowing hextall has ties to them?

I sort of put the feelers out on this about a month ago, and people seemed to be of the opinion that Sutter had to be convinced to coach this year and was ready to go back to the farm with his thousands of relatives. The main board thread has several people saying the same, so he may be a goner to retirement. I wouldn't want to bring Lombardi on in any kind of role - with Mr. Snider gone (RIP), I wouldn't trust corporate ownership not to get an itchy trigger finger should Hexy's long-term plan hit speed bumps.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Lombardi will get a GM job again soon. The NHL loves recycling the same people & there's been guys with less past accomplishments than him that have gotten other chances before.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Lombardi will get a GM job again soon. The NHL loves recycling the same people & there's been guys with less past accomplishments than him that have gotten other chances before.

Kind of baffling that more NHL teams are not after coaches like Jon Cooper. Slowly promote through competence. All in all he's a talented coach who's taken his roster about where it should go. I haven't watched the lightning this year but it seems like things just didn't go well for them this year.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Sutter had to get talked into taking the LA job. I would be shocked if he doesnt go back to his farm and retire. He really has nothing else to prove at this point.
Lombardi will get a job somewhere down the line. He did build 2 Cup winning clubs. that counts for something no matter what folks think of him right now.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
There's not a fourth line in the league that can consistently go up against the higher lines & not get burnt badly eventually. No coach is actively chasing those matchups through out the year. On average your bottom six is mostly going against the other teams bottom six. The need for these "prototypical fourth liners" is such a myth.
Real talk. Especially when most of those type guys cant even do their jobs anyway (VDV,PEB).

We should hire that guy from Finland who coached their junior team. Certainly a left field choice but I'd rather dip into the international talent that's completely untapped over there rather than grab a retread

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Real talk. Especially when most of those type guys cant even do their jobs anyway (VDV,PEB).

We should hire that guy from Finland who coached their junior team. Certainly a left field choice but I'd rather dip into the international talent that's completely untapped over there rather than grab a retread

The Maple Leafs have Babcock as their coach & still have two potential up-comers in Sheldon Keefe (AHL HC) & DJ Smith (NHL AC) in their organization. Both guys are young being under 40 & have quickly moved their way through the ranks. Keefe coached Sault Ste. Marie & Smith coached Oshawa in the OHL prior to this where both had a lot of success.

These are types of hires I want to see. Maybe they don't work but I rather take a chance on guys like that then Scott Gordon, Riley Cote, Gord Murphy, Ian Laperriere, etc.

It's not just overseas there's good personnel here in North America that don't get a chance because they're not apart of the old boys network. Only some of those guys get a chance & a guy like Jon Cooper proves that maybe they should give these guys more of a shot than just bringing some retread who's only getting jobs because of who he is at that point.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
As a Whalers fan I will always pull for the Oilers because they are the last WHA team left ( I know, Jets V2.0. Just not the same).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's pretty incredible that Chychrun ended up playing 68 NHL games and scoring 20 points after free falling at the draft and being the 5th dman taken.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
It's pretty incredible that Chychrun ended up playing 68 NHL games and scoring 20 points after free falling at the draft and being the 5th dman taken.

Yeah, it was odd. Seemed to come down to whether you thought it was revealing or simply a momentary downturn. I was excited about the pick.

He's been exciting in Arizona.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Sutter would be great to have here. We should absolutely be considering it. Hexy will look for ways to upgrade the team. He may try and pull something here.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
If the Flyers got Sutter..they would probably experience a dead cat bounce and make the playoffs next season but Sutter doesn't seem like a coach that can sustain with this team. Heck...I'm not quite sure what coach is sustainable with this team at this point. Initially, I thought Hak was a "fresh" perspective....but he is quickly turning into a perishable item....

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Sutter was wearing thin on the players towards the end I read. Lombardi's last two years were pretty terrible when you look at the moves he made. I don't think Sutter is the right guy given the roster and stage of the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad