Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: 2016/17 Season, Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I don't mind that one at all either. I just don't like the way it is now - there isn't enough separation between winning and losing.

That's the point.

Keeping teams close to the playoff chase keeps butts in the seats and viewers watching on TV.

I would be surprised if it ever changed, but I have always been an advocate of three points available for every game (3 for a regulation win, 2 for an OT win, 1 for an OT loss).

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
it makes no sense to use todays current system and where we are in the standings and try and plug in the 3 point regulation game and see where we would be. you just cant say well see it doesnt make much of a difference.
If we started the 3 point regulation win from the start teams would be playing these games a whole lot different. they would be pushing for the regulation win in the final several minutes instead of playing these games conservative to try and get at least a point.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
That's the point.

Keeping teams close to the playoff chase keeps butts in the seats and viewers watching on TV.

I would be surprised if it ever changed, but I have always been an advocate of three points available for every game (3 for a regulation win, 2 for an OT win, 1 for an OT loss).

I understand that - I just don't like it one bit.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Detroit has so many contracts with two or more years left for 30-something players.

Zetterberg, Nielsen, Abdelkader, Helm, Kronwall, Howard, Ericsson, Franzen.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm pretty sure Reid Duke was placed back in the draft just last year. If any team wanted him, they should have taken him then. There is nothing shady about it.

Reid Duke isn't going to cause NHL teams to get angry because Kelly McCrimmon owns Brandon. The draft in place pretty much ruins a big advantage that he or even Mark Hunter in Toronto who owns part of London could have.

Wasn't talking about Reid Ducke specifically, just that an NHL GM owns a Junior team seems ripe for conflicts of interest. I didn't realize that Mark Hunter owned the Knights, that presents the same conflicts. I mean, in reality it probably doesn't matter, but I could see eyebrows getting raised if there were some bigger name UDFA or something pipelining into the NHL teams of the owners of the CHL teams.

SpookyHockey

Feb 11, 2010
Wasn't talking about Reid Ducke specifically, just that an NHL GM owns a Junior team seems ripe for conflicts of interest. I didn't realize that Mark Hunter owned the Knights, that presents the same conflicts. I mean, in reality it probably doesn't matter, but I could see eyebrows getting raised if there were some bigger name UDFA or something pipelining into the NHL teams of the owners of the CHL teams.

Peter Karmanos used to own the Plymouth Whalers and the Carolina Hurricanes at the same time and there were never any incidents iirc. Always a chance something happens, but it's worked fine in the past.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Just imagine the conspiracies that will arise if Vegas wins the Lottery and are able to select Brandon's own Nolan Patrick. :laugh:

Ernest95

Jul 10, 2015
Philly
Was just looking at the Penguins, they've got 12 expiring contracts (including two people on IR) and about 13.5 million to sign them or different players.
Basically what I'm saying is other than the main players like Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel, they may have a quite a different roster next year.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Was just looking at the Penguins, they've got 12 expiring contracts (including two people on IR) and about 13.5 million to sign them or different players.
Basically what I'm saying is other than the main players like Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel, they may have a quite a different roster next year.

The Cap doesn't apply to them, it never has. They've always just acquired whoever they need.

I honestly don't think Rutherford even pays attention to it anymore.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
so even tho everyone hates it, we are leaving that alone.
brilliant!

lets keep those 7-10 minute challenges where a skate is 1/64 of an inch offside and takes 10 minutes to figure it out killing the flow of a game.
if it takes more than a minute to see something, the call on the ice should stand IMO

The NHL in a nut-shell.

A bunch of morons run this league and the majority of the teams.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Damn I keep forgetting about isles. I really hate the new playoff format. I like only having two divisions, but top 8 should make it no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad