Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: 2016/17 Playoffs Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't get why people like this reality TV garbage. ESPN is even turning into it with all of their segments. I recall over hearing about how 40 year old grown men are playing tag in Washington. Like who gives a F.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=9009960 (See video)

You couldn't pay me to click that link or ever watch ESPN again :laugh:

They are one of the worst things to ever happen to sports.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I watch PTI from time to time. It can be funny. Otherwise, there isn't anything that appeals to me on ESPN, beyond some 30 for 30 items, etc.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Other than 30 for 30, I watch nothing they do other than live sports. The frustrating part is that they're still capable of innovation when they set their minds to it -- the NCAAF Playoff Championship Game broadcast lineup is always phenomenal.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
For some of the complaining, and rightfully so, that gets done about the Penguins, the Ducks are definitely a bunch of whiny brats. Some of this garbage is nothing new, especially for Perry. They start getting in fights any time they lose a playoff game at home. At least the Penguins have gotten past much of that garbage.

It's even better seeing crying Randy whine about how they only got one day off after last series and then Pens got two

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don't get why people like this reality TV garbage. ESPN is even turning into it with all of their segments. I recall over hearing about how 40 year old grown men are playing tag in Washington. Like who gives a F.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=9009960 (See video)

Don't get me wrong, I don't like it - I hate it so very much. But I started watching it when it started, a long time ago, and now I can't stop. It's like a mental disorder, connected to something like OCD, that's all. I just need to have something on in the background also.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
SC6 is unwatchable. I only watch for PTI.

I was watching ESPN on Sunday morning and it was a good 20 minutes before I saw any highlights from the day before. No baseball or anything. Sportscenter should be rolling the highlights from the night before, just how it used to be.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
SC6 is unwatchable. I only watch for PTI.

I was watching ESPN on Sunday morning and it was a good 20 minutes before I saw any highlights from the day before. No baseball or anything. Sportscenter should be rolling the highlights from the night before, just how it used to be.

SC6 is one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Its a damn shame.

I still like Scott Van Pelt, but not necessarily his show.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Outside of live sports I don't watch espn at all really anymore. I'll watch college football gameday sometimes but even that has slipped.

I'll mostly just watch the league networks now (NHL, NFL, MLB, Big Ten Networks, etc.). I actually don't mind Fox's coverage of college football which seems to be increasing fortunately with the Big Ten, PAC-12, & Big 12 having more games on & key games going forward now over espn.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
So after having the feel goods watching Smashville conquer the ducks, I heard in the background, the intro music to Bobby Roode in NXT. Yep, been listening to this 3 minute diddy a bunch today at work.

Nashville, kudos, your in rink experience gives makes me envious through a tv, mad decent. The sing song with smart fans knowing the lyrics/gimmick, all-star anthem singers, call & response for last minute, post-game song. One of their fans threw a dead duck onto the ice, man, all they need now is a catfish throw, someone should do it, totally worth a 2 minute delay of game penalty.

Edit: e$p!n sucks, live sports only, all other (non-30 for 30) programing is garbage.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not surprising but Friedman was just on NHL Network talking the Ducks situation for ED. If they can extend Fowler then Vatanen is likely the odd guy out. If they can't extentend Fowler then obviously he'll be moved.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Interesting...the Flyers had more points in a year ago than Nashville had this year.

As they say, get into the playoffs....anything can happen.

I think it has more to do with a lack of enough true contenders right now compared to the last five or so years. I think the Western Conference has shifted dramatically. Chicago, LA, San Jose, Minnesota, & St. Louis have gotten worse to some degree because of salary cap &/or age. I don't think Nashville is a fluke. I think they're here to stay going forward.

In the Eastern Conference you have Pittsburgh & Washington. The latter being a perennial underachiever in the playoffs. Pittsburgh's even been pretty banged up these playoffs too. In New York Lundqvist is showing age & doesn't seem to be able cover up flaws there anymore.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I think it has more to do with a lack of enough true contenders right now compared to the last five or so years. I think the Western Conference has shifted dramatically. Chicago, LA, San Jose, Minnesota, & St. Louis have gotten worse to some degree because of salary cap &/or age. I don't think Nashville is a fluke. I think they're here to stay going forward.

In the Eastern Conference you have Pittsburgh & Washington. The latter being a perennial underachiever in the playoffs. Pittsburgh's even been pretty banged up these playoffs too. In New York Lundqvist is showing age & doesn't seem to be able cover up flaws there anymore.

Even with Seabrook and Toews declining that Hawks team shouldve beat the Preds.

They choked big time.

LA lost a lot of their two-way depth when Richards and Voynov flamed out and Gaborik being Gaborik with that contract handcuffs them even further.

San Jose I didnt expect to go deep this year. Theyre team is pretty old and its hard enough to recover from a finals loss with a young team.

St. Louis is destined for failure until they get some elite help for Tarasenko upfront.

The Wild were a smokescreen from jump. Eric Staal has no heart, Koivu is an aging 2C on his best day and Granlund had a good year but I'd bet money its a flash in the pan. When those are your top 3 C's, and your coach is Boudreau, the foundation is destined to crumble at some point.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Well I'm saying those teams aren't as good as they used to be. Those teams along with Anaheim made the Western Conference a gauntlet to go through since the turn of the decade. You got five Cups in there between Chicago & LA too. The decline of a lot of those teams have opened things up a lot right now as a shift in power is starting to happen.

It's tough to call Chicago a choke job when they got swept handily with only scoring three goals in the whole series this year. They lost in the first round last year to St. Louis too. That went 7 games but still they've owned St. Louis in years prior & that along with this year is the second straight year of being knocked out in the first round.

On the Eastern Conference side you have Pittsburgh & Washington with I said above with them & New York. The Metro was the best the division don't see that changing next year either. The Atlantic wasn't that great although I think Tampa bounces back & Toronto countinues to get better next year.

For all those reasons to me this been the most wide open period of hockey we have had in a while. Ultimately I think the power is shifting to the Eastern Conference but the Metro is still a lot better than the Atlantic of the two divisions in it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Must be great to be that piece of **** Crosby and get away with everything

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I thought Anderson had the puck but ref did nothing..
#6 Pushed Anderson in. No goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad