News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
If it's another disappointing 1st round exit, then I think "massive changes" would be understating things. If it were up to me, another disappointing 1st round or 2nd round exit would result in Shanny getting fired, the entire coaching staff getting fired, every roster player not named Matthews would be on the block, at least 1 of the core 4 gone for sure, and more.

I'm a very patient fan. But at this point failure would prove beyond a doubt that the plan doesn't work. So make changes while you still have Matthews under contract and try a different plan.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
For reference, if Marner doesn't get a raise and keeps the same CH%, his hit is $12.3 million when his contract kicks in...

Not sure why people are thinking $12 million is crazy.
12.5m for marner is a lock. Fans might as well get used to it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If it's another disappointing 1st round exit, then I think "massive changes" would be understating things. If it were up to me, another disappointing 1st round or 2nd round exit would result in Shanny getting fired, the entire coaching staff getting fired, every roster player not named Matthews would be on the block, at least 1 of the core 4 gone for sure, and more.

I'm a very patient fan. But at this point failure would prove beyond a doubt that the plan doesn't work. So make changes while you still have Matthews under contract and try a different plan.

I think a lot of people think like this but the JT / Marner NMC can be difficult to overcome if they dig their heels in.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Yeah I know. It is just frustrating that we have to continue to overpay the same 3 guys for 1 playoff series win.
At least we made the playoffs every year they’ve been here. That alone is better than half the league right off the top. 4th best team during the regular season over the last 5 years. This core has produced all top 5 most wins per season in Leafs history.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
At least we made the playoffs every year they’ve been here. That alone is better than half the league right off the top. 4th best team during the regular season over the last 5 years. This core has produced all top 5 most wins per season in Leafs history.
Don't know about you but I can't stand seeing other teams hoist the cup every year. Regular season success of great but nothing beats deep playoff runs. It is electric.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I watch. Not having a horse in the race takes the stress out of it so you can just sit back and enjoy the hockey.
I’m lucky I can turn away from it once my team is done. Similar to the NFL, don’t have a horse in the league so I don’t care. I may have watched 3 Superbowls in the last 20 years. There must have been a playoff game in there somewhere but certainly not a regular season game. lol!

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
We Participated! :banana::banana::banana::banana::devdance::devdance::devdance::dumbo::pickle::walrus:

Yawn.

The good thing about the playoffs, I only watch until the Leafs are eliminated, so I don’t care what happens after that.
So do I, which means the NHL Season ends early for me. Every year.

YAWN. Your schtick is boring.

Winning is everything.

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

Many don't realize the reaction fans will have if they lose again. Any team could win one round in 6 years. This team is overpaid compared to other teams. Instead of comparing Marner to Nylander(overpaid) compare him to Pasta or players making less on other teams.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Many don't realize the reaction fans will have if they lose again. Any team could win one round in 6 years. This team is overpaid compared to other teams. Instead of comparing Marner to Nylander(overpaid) compare him to Pasta or players making less on other teams.

Well, technically the team is paid as much as anybody else, but the core assumes a heavier burden and historic blame since they're a permanent fixture... creating sort of a mix of boredom and recrimination that we have the same guys year after year without change.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
While I can understand the desire to not pay these players any more money I also can't justify allowing a player of Marner's caliber to walk.

They could go big buck hunting. The problem with that is they'll just end up overpaying whoever they target in free agency. May as well stick with the devil they know.

Most observers peg their difficulties on an unbalanced roster.

Unless they sort that out I don't see why they would target another forward. Then again they've run it back every year since 2016. No reason to expect them to change now.

People are sick of seeing their favourite team run like a bush league operation.

They ARE angry. These are passionate fans who have invested a lot of time and money into following this team. They see the best opportunity of a lifetime to win a cup being pissed away.

And the solution is to throw even more money at the same four forwards who failed so many times already.
Why go big buck hunting. Why not flesh out the rest of the positions with a little better rack of players. Then maybe when the opposition pushes back and the 3 amigos fold we will have some real support to maybe have a chance to win

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Yeah I know. It is just frustrating that we have to continue to overpay the same 3 guys for 1 playoff series win.
Its overpaying three guys to ensure making the post season each year (or at least come close to it).

Reactions: ToneDog

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
This is about 4 years too late. Now they'll win a 1st rd where the odds are 50/50, not show up again in the 2nd, and we'll be right back here next year with the same dipshit team. Yawn

Reactions: Moonman

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I think a lot of people think like this but the JT / Marner NMC can be difficult to overcome if they dig their heels in.
jt maybe .marner would leave if a teams is willing to pay him as much as mathews
utah needs a few marquis players with 40 million in cap space

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
It's possible or they could go without for another 1-2 years to see if it's something they really need in place.

I don't think Treliving's leash is going to be as long as Dubas's was, this year will be what it will be but I suspect it's a 1st round exit.

If there is another 1-2 years of 1st round exits, I expect Tree will be packing up his office too.

It’s not about needing the position. Corporate structures are all about insulation and ensuring there is someone below you to take blame when things go wrong.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
From kypreos' article in the star today:

But if these playoffs go south, maybe a new voice at the top would finally say enough is enough.

A domino effect of massive off-season change could follow, including moving on from Mitch Marner and finally ending the Core Four era. If anything, it would be Marner’s contract status, with one year remaining before free agency, that would dictate this decision the most. If the rumblings are true and he’s looking to surpass Nylander’s eight-year, $92-million (U.S.) deal, what other choice would the Leafs have but to trade him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad