News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
I am trying to look at the situation a little differently .... let's say marner signs for 12 as an even number ... i then look at the 3 amigos as collectively being overpaid ... let's say 3-4'ish million between the 3 .... that equates to 1 bad contract on the books, definitely should not create an unsurmountable wall for a competent gm .... jt is, and has been the issue all along in looking at an unbalanced roster ...

either way, i hope they figure it out and we get to see some decent playoff hockey from this group
If Marner gets $12 million everyone including the Ownership Group needs to get their heads checked, but I wouldn't be surprised either as I think Matthews and Nylander are overpaid as is.

Reactions: William Johnson

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Do you really think if he couldn't get a substantial enough return for Nylander and felt compelled to sign him to the monster deal he did, that he would consider Marner walking for zero? I don't see it. He basically gave Willie as good a deal as he could have gotten as a free agent without the work of going to market. Tre or maybe its the Prez who is determined to win with these guys, and they are comfortable overpaying if necessary. I am sure there is a number too big for the club to take but it seems pretty clear there will not be any hard ball so it will get done.
Which means this team is not serious about winning a Cup.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I don't have much faith in Ownership to make the changes needed for this team to win the Cup.

They've had about a decade to see what Shanahan could do, and while it's better than when he first came, we still don't win much in the playoffs.

The whole Dubas "firing" situation also should have been a red flag for Shanny, but he's still here.

Lastly, the amount of power some players seem to have with this team, along with Keefe and staff x's and o's are also a whole other problem.

Ed Rogers hasn't made much changes with the Blue Jays even though they haven't really done anything in a while. Bell just seems happy to make some money, and Tanenbaum is pretty much on the way out shortly anyways. So, while I would love to see change especially if the team is out in the first or second round, I just don't have faith the ownership group, even with Pelley will get it right.
Well, shanahan has made the playoffs 8 straight years before that we made 1 of 11. Shanahan is doing well.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Well 40? Playoff games they didn’t have before. I wonder how much more MLSE made, than they did in the previous 11 years.
I understand that MLSE only cares about money. The players and the fans (should) care about winning Cups.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
That would be the kind of lazy "journalism" I would expect from the media here. The truth will be that it will be because of a combination of both management teams. It's silly to look at success (or, if it happens, failure) in isolation. It's always a combination of factors.
Half a decade of failure for Dubas is hardly isolation.

Reactions: rumman

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
While I can understand the desire to not pay these players any more money I also can't justify allowing a player of Marner's caliber to walk.

They could go big buck hunting. The problem with that is they'll just end up overpaying whoever they target in free agency. May as well stick with the devil they know.

Most observers peg their difficulties on an unbalanced roster.

Unless they sort that out I don't see why they would target another forward. Then again they've run it back every year since 2016. No reason to expect them to change now.

People are sick of seeing their favourite team run like a bush league operation.

They ARE angry. These are passionate fans who have invested a lot of time and money into following this team. They see the best opportunity of a lifetime to win a cup being pissed away.

And the solution is to throw even more money at the same four forwards who failed so many times already.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
While I can understand the desire to not pay these players any more money I also can't justify allowing a player of Marner's caliber to walk.

They could go big buck hunting. The problem with that is they'll just end up overpaying whoever they target in free agency. May as well stick with the devil they know.

Unless they sort that out I don't see why they would target another forward. Then again they've run it back every year since 2016. No reason to expect them to change now.

People are sick of seeing their favourite team run like a bush league operation.

They ARE angry. These are passionate fans who have invested a lot of time and money into following this team. They see the best opportunity of a lifetime to win a cup being pissed away.

And the solution is to throw even more money at the same four forwards who failed so many times already.
The fact Shanny let a child who never played hockey inherit the perfect build from Lou says everything.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Being afraid of moving on from Shanahan just gives me vibes of staying in a mediocre marriage because you're scared to be alone or single.

Yes - he's done better than what we had in place previously but I also think we can say at this point, the team has been disappointing more often than not the previous few years.

I would be open to a new voice at the top.

Reactions: OddyOh and Al14

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Why stick with the devil they know when they've gotten absolutely nowhere with that devil? And if the unbalanced roster is a problem, wouldn't swapping the devil out for a devil (or devils) that play a different position be a logical move worth considering?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Being afraid of moving on from Shanahan just gives me vibes of staying in a mediocre marriage because you're scared to be alone or single.

Yes - he's done better than what we had in place previously but I also think we can say at this point, the team has been disappointing more often than not the previous few years.

I guess it depends on how much power you believe he has over the roster.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If Marner gets $12 million everyone including the Ownership Group needs to get their heads checked, but I wouldn't be surprised either as I think Matthews and Nylander are overpaid as is.

For reference, if Marner doesn't get a raise and keeps the same CH%, his hit is $12.3 million when his contract kicks in...

Not sure why people are thinking $12 million is crazy.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I guess it depends on how much power you believe he has over the roster.

I don't think he's completely hands off but at the same time, I don't get the sense he's a micromanager either.

This off-season the easier moves might be Shanahan and Keefe

Bigger roster decisions are probably an additional year off.

Reactions: ToneDog and ACC1224

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
For reference, if Marner doesn't get a raise and keeps the same CH%, his hit is $12.3 million when his contract kicks in...

Not sure why people are thinking $12 million is crazy.
It's objectively not too bad but no cup winner is built on paying maximum value to its wingers. Our #1D doesn't kill penalties. We're probably losing our 1G because we can't afford a 4M goalie. We had to dump Lafferty because 1.1M was too much.

Every cup winner had a serious supporting staff and balance built over time.

A 11.5M and 12.3M winger is such overkill when we already have a 70 goal scorer. I think we have offense looked after can we please put some quality elsewhere?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It's objectively not too bad but no cup winner is built on paying maximum value to its wingers. Our #1D doesn't kill penalties. We're probably losing our 1G because we can't afford a 4M goalie. We had to dump Lafferty because 1.1M was too much.

A 11.5M and 12.3M winger is such overkill when we already have a 70 goal scorer. I think we have offense looked after can we please put some quality elsewhere?

In the playoffs, we have struggled offensively.

Marner is good defensively too.

We dumped Lafferty and signed a more expensive winger.

We can afford a 4 million dollar goalie if we want.

19 million in cap to fill out 2LW spots, 2RD spots, and 1G spot.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
McMann - Tavares - Nylander
X - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
X - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - X
McCabe - X
Benoit - Timmins

X
Woll

RFAs
Robertson, Dewar, Liljegren

Potentially ELCs
Niemela, Cowan, Minten, Rifai, Tverberg

We are very capable of spending 4 million on a G.

Can also spend on some depth too.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
In the playoffs, we have struggled offensively.

Marner is good defensively too.

We dumped Lafferty and signed a more expensive winger.

We can afford a 4 million dollar goalie if we want.

19 million in cap to fill out 2LW spots, 2RD spots, and 1G spot.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
McMann - Tavares - Nylander
X - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
X - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - X
McCabe - X
Benoit - Timmins

X
Woll

RFAs
Robertson, Dewar, Liljegren

Potentially ELCs
Niemela, Cowan, Minten, Rifai, Tverberg

We are very capable of spending 4 million on a G.

Can also spend on some depth too.
Perhaps we shouldn't reward them then

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Having to overpay Marner because you overpaid Willie is so Leafy. Why anybody would pay him $12+m is mind boggling. Career average 28 g and 64 assist per 82 games.

Compare that to Kutcherov 36 g and 64 assists per 82 games, 2 SCs, Hart, Art Ross and Ted Lindsay and probably wins 2 or 3 more this year.

Sorry, close to winning the Selke isn't close. Wake up Shanny.

Last edited:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

Maybe the new voice is Tre;
If Shanahan goes, it means a clean house. No POHO will not want their own GM in place.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I am told nobody is paid for playoff results. LOL. I get it the first time around but why would you pay them the second time around knowing what you know after the last 5 years?
Yep. I think Barbershev and Adin Hill absolutely were paid for great playoff results just as a quick example.

It absolutely must be a factor for us.

If our players pop off for 8 assists in our 1st round series, say because they play entire powerplays and 3rd periods that's still not good enough if we are eliminated. These guys are given all offensive opportunities because we'd be foolish to not go down with them. Going PPG is not our end goal

Reactions: ToneDog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Maybe the new voice is Tre;
If Shanahan goes, it means a clean house. No POHO will not want their own GM in place.

It's possible or they could go without for another 1-2 years to see if it's something they really need in place.

I don't think Treliving's leash is going to be as long as Dubas's was, this year will be what it will be but I suspect it's a 1st round exit.

If there is another 1-2 years of 1st round exits, I expect Tree will be packing up his office too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad