News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Guess they don't make Swedes like they used too
1713812905602.png

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
As a joke, I'd love to give Utah our whole Leaf organization and try to intercept the Coyotes and start over. Just something fresh, different and different problems.
Better scenario is just have another team in Toronto, ownership would be happy with the expansion fees they’d receive and the games will have to air on TSN or Sportsnet, so more cha ching. Long suffering Leafs fans would have a alternative to this misery and those not fed up can continue being subjected to pain. Nobody loses in this scenario………

Guess they don't make Swedes like they used too
View attachment 857454
Amen to that, Borge was a beast…….

Reactions: Drytoast

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The alternative is letting them walk to UFA. Then we're blasting Tre for not doing everything possible to sign them. :laugh:
Best option was moving 1 of Nylander or Marner in the summer.

Have to wonder if Willys contract comes down at the end of the year given how he played down the stretch too

Reactions: Drytoast

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Best option was moving 1 of Nylander or Marner in the summer.

Have to wonder if Willys contract comes down at the end of the year given how he played down the stretch too

I mean...I pretty much was spamming that non stop all season before he signed and everyone was telling me how we needed "willy styles"...

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Myrtle doubling down on his comments on JD bunkis this morning saying Ownership hasnt been happy with lack of playoff success

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Another disappointing end to the season and already fans are being told "well they tried hard, and looked good, but lost to a better team“ excuse.

Nobody cares about phony moral victories. This isn't the Try Hard League. The whole point of sports is to win.

The narrative the "Leafs looked good while losing" is built on the premise that perception is more important than performance.

These guys don't get paid to look good to lose. They get paid to win. Whether they look good or not is besides the point.

They still lost ffs.

Call me a sore loser all you want. That's the whole point about losing. You're supposed to be sore about it.

Unlike the Leafs.

When does the whole "they lost to a better team" excuse end anyway? Since when did it become ok to lose to a better team if it means you're still a loser? When is it the Leafs turn to be the better team?

Why can't they ever try hard and look good while winning?

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
According to Mirtle, Leafs Ownership could make changes if the team disappoints in the first round...

Well they did yet again, so the question now is, will Ownership and Pelley make the changes ?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Is this one considered really disappointing? I genuinely feel like they should have won. They look like they finally learned how to play but the problem is it started in game 5. The 3-1 hole they dug themselves was hard to overcome and they almost did. I’m very torn. I do believe Marner needs to go, but to start firing/trading everyone?

Reactions: TopCheeseShotta

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Keefe should be gone by locker cleanout day

He get's outcoached every series. Played Samsonov until the series was down 3-1 even though he sucked and then of course he had the third line out right after the Leafs take a 1-0 lead to allow the Bruins to score immediately after a goal for like the third time this series.

Reactions: OddyOh

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Losing by one goal to a 109 pt team when you didn't have Nylander for 3 games and Matthews for 2 would usually be considered an impressive effort in a vacuum. However, at this point it's just been too many disappointments and Marner needs to go if the Leafs can get something back that makes sense.
At the end of the day a coach is paid to get results in the nhl. When you’ve had marner, matthews and nylander oin their prime, winning 1 round is just not going to cut it. Coaches have been fired for way more success

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
*licks chops.

Make changes the majority of the fanbase has wanted since the Montreal series.

Everything about this organization is reactive as opposed to proactive, right down from ownership to the players. Wait until down 3-1 to figure out playoff hockey being the most recent.

Countless examples from the management side off the top of my head, some major some minor: Babcock should've been fired sooner, Andersen, Bozak, JVR, Gardiner etc players who should've been traded to recoup assets and not let walk for nothing, a core piece had to be shipped out after that 2021 Habs debacle, a full three years ago. That was the time to humble one of these guys and shake the culture. Keefe's expiration date was 2022, yet here we are. Shanny could've went with Dubas.

I don't consider anything they do now a massive change, too little too late. Reacting to the situation, MLSE are constantly chasing it. Story of my life as a fan of this team.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Start losing it now because he will get a raise. This team or management hasn't learned anything in the past few years. Nylander's contract was an overpayment Marner's will be also.
They overpaid all of them, yes all of them first Dubas then Treliving.

Dubas who being so smart frankly outsmarted himself putting them, and if we stick with them us, into another 50+ year funk.

Auston Matthews has never been a captain, period. He was never a USHL captain nor a Swiss League captain. There is a reason for that, stop convincing yourself he has leadership qualities because he can score goals. Anybody remember Ricky Vaives tenure as captain?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The worst thing to happen to the maple leafs since the unprecedented dramatic overpayments was winning game 5. That was a DISASTER for the team. Now they've lost in OT in game 7 with injuries to key players. They have their f***ing excuses again. Nothing will change. They'll run it back and say Tavares is off the books after next season which is when the shuffle should happen.

The leafs winning game 5 means we'll have 1 more season of this bullshit. A complete write off season.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm actually really interested to see what we do this summer

Personally, I don't think you can bring back Marner. I'd be trying to move JT after the July 1 bonus, but both are problematic with their NMCs (and JT's play)

Adding someone like Montour on D would be big. He can play mean, move the puck and gives a shooting threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad