Player Discussion Miro Heiskanen 3rd overall 2017 Draft (signed ELC)

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
If he does break the line-up what are the chances that Nill pulls off a trade? Some decent defensemen other teams could be interested in.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If he does break the line-up what are the chances that Nill pulls off a trade? Some decent defensemen other teams could be interested in.

Theres a spot open for him so only dman they'd be trading for would most likely be a RD so they could bring in Karlsson. That would most likely be Honka. Atm they don't need to trade for a dman tho they could easily go into the season with what they have. Acquiring Karlsson would just be an added bonus

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Also impressed by Point getting away with the trip on the forechecker. Hopefully we have another Belfour on our hands :D

I see a lot of people bring that up like Point got away with something there. He never left the crease so that is 100% a legal play. Its the skaters responsibility to avoid the blue paint, not the goalie's to avoid the player.

Reactions: Ippenator

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I see a lot of people bring that up like Point got away with something there. He never left the crease so that is 100% a legal play. Its the skaters responsibility to avoid the blue paint, not the goalie's to avoid the player.

That's not true.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
That's not true.

I tried to look up NHL rules for this, and in typical NHL fashion, it's very murky. It seems like the refs would have been entirely justified in any of the following:

1) Giving an interference (or tripping or unsportsmanlike conduct) penalty to the goaltender

2) Giving a goaltender interference penalty to the forechecker

3) Giving both a penalty

4) Doing nothing

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Simple: don’t cut through the crease. No reason for any player to be cutting that low on a forecheck.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Interference on Point should have been the call there. If he was just standing his ground in the crease that would be one thing but he clearly sticks out a leg to get in the way.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
But his stuck out leg is still in the crease, and the crease is the goalie's territory in which he is free to move wherever he wants (which the rulebook emphasizes). The only exceptions come when the puck is in the crease, which it wasn't here, so you could make cases for both sides.

This problem almost never comes up in the NHL because NHL forecheckers know better than to cut through the crease like that - they either go behind the net or well in front of it. In the same situation, an NHL goalie is more likely to use his whole body rather than just a leg, and then go flying to the ice in the hopes of the minor goalie interference penalty turning into a major and a game misconduct since running into a goalie when you don't have the puck is looked on particularly harshly, even more so when it happens in the crease.

morkkis35

Aug 9, 2017
I havent seen any preseason games. Can anyone give some intel how he looked in the games. And what do you guys (who have seen him play this year) expect of him this season.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Haven't seen all games, but mostly looked like a vet out there in my viewing. Think he got beat badly once.

IIRC, he had one turnover that lead to a goal but it was essentially a 1-on-3 and he had no help. Even a shut-down vet probably would've struggled with that situation.

Don't recall hearing about any others or seeing any others (albeit I watched parts of two games only).

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I havent seen any preseason games. Can anyone give some intel how he looked in the games. And what do you guys (who have seen him play this year) expect of him this season.

As others mentioned he looked like a veteran out there. I think fatigue set in towards the end of the preseason a little bit but even then he still looked good despite playing his offside most of the time. Gonna be a top 4 d for us
this season and I wouldn't be shocked if he plays 18-20+ minutes a night, even starting out considering he led us in ice time in just about every preseason game he was in and looked very good. Also looked consistently very dangerous offensively and jumped up on the rush literally every chance he got so he is gonna be a big 2-way threat

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Happy Birthday to our boy!

Miro-Heiskanen-kaatui-luistelukisassa.jpg

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Did he miss a season? No comments on his play between Oct '18 and Jul '19. Or maybe he just sucked too hard.

:dunce:

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Us Stars fans were all busy talking about him on the prospect and main board threads, so nobody had any energy left for us all agreeing with each other how awesome he was (and is). ;)
Okay I know... I just wanted to hear it afresh :rolly:

And everybody needed a summer break for sure. Not that's it over yet, we're still getting those velvety nights we love in Finland. I know when I say this it starts raining or snowing again tomorrow.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Heiskanen is becoming the Finnish version of Roman Josi. Anyone else thinks that's a good comparison?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad