Player Discussion Miro Heiskanen 3rd overall 2017 Draft (signed ELC)

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Straight into top4 and potential to be the best LD by seasons end.

We all hope so, of course, and Nill sounds like he is committed to accelerating the development of his "yutes." If he does, that might happen. If he follows true to former form, at best Miro starts in AHL, comes up mid season for some reason, wows and stays, sort of like JK, who took until November to crack our lineup.

With so many teens playing almost directly in the NHL (especially top 3 picks) I see no reason for a full AHL season, if Miro is all he is cracked up to be. That said, better there than in the press box a la Honka.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We all hope so, of course, and Nill sounds like he is committed to accelerating the development of his "yutes." If he does, that might happen. If he follows true to former form, at best Miro starts in AHL, comes up mid season for some reason, wows and stays, sort of like JK, who took until November to crack our lineup.

With so many teens playing almost directly in the NHL (especially top 3 picks) I see no reason for a full AHL season, if Miro is all he is cracked up to be. That said, better there than in the press box a la Honka.

I'm going just by his skills and how he looks. He looks like a guy who's ready to follow Werenski/Provorov/McAvoy path, he's so good.
I don't know how Dallas will handle him, I hope he gets a fair shot.

He was selected as the D-man of the year in Liiga at 18, AHL isn't that much better than Liiga.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Esa Lindell was the best defender in Liiga in 14-15. He spent the next season in the AHL before jumping to the NHL the following season. Now, they're different players, but just pointing out you can get in a circular argument. The next side of that argument is that was either the first or second year of the failed 8D experiment so there was no opportunity to really make the jump.

Point is Heiskanen seems to be a guy that the rules aren't necessarily apply. He's not just been the top Liiga defender in the regular season and arguably the playoffs, he was a significant contributor at World Juniors, the Olympics, and now the Worlds. He's got a lot going on in his favor, but you never know for sure with Nill. I do get the impression he'll be a full time NHLer just on the reviews that keep coming coming in.

It'll be exciting for sure. Hopefully he can be a franchise building block.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Judging by his play in the WC so far , he’s safe enough of a defenseman you could play him on the top pair with klinger . If anyone , honka would be the guy to shelter with Lindell or methot .

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Heiskanen probably is a superior for all Finnish dmans in IIHF world championships based on pure talent.
But he also is seriously underused by head coach Marjamaki who not give powerplay icetime for Miro at all.

It surely helps Ville ''worst Finnish dman bust ever'' Pokka to get powerplay minutes instead of Miro when he's head coaches old pet and golden boy from Oulun Kärpät.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Esa Lindell was the best defender in Liiga in 14-15. He spent the next season in the AHL before jumping to the NHL the following season. Now, they're different players, but just pointing out you can get in a circular argument. The next side of that argument is that was either the first or second year of the failed 8D experiment so there was no opportunity to really make the jump.

Point is Heiskanen seems to be a guy that the rules aren't necessarily apply. He's not just been the top Liiga defender in the regular season and arguably the playoffs, he was a significant contributor at World Juniors, the Olympics, and now the Worlds. He's got a lot going on in his favor, but you never know for sure with Nill. I do get the impression he'll be a full time NHLer just on the reviews that keep coming coming in.

It'll be exciting for sure. Hopefully he can be a franchise building block.

Skating is a strenght for Heiskanen, I've never considered it for Lindell, Heiskanen won it at 18y as well, he's a potential franchise #1D prospect.

His elite IQ& skating really give him a great shot at transfering his game fast, and having played a season with different level pro games.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Heiskanen looking NHL ready and Honka looking like waiver-wire fodder. Another busted 1st rounder for your DALLAS STARS!

________

Feb 6, 2006
Heiskanen looking NHL ready and Honka looking like waiver-wire fodder. Another busted 1st rounder for your DALLAS STARS!

Sure, if that was the only time you ever watched Honka play. Honka had a rough season, Wilson/Hitchcock trying to change his style of play. Honka is a way better player then that.

Heiskanen you can just tell in the World Championship games, he's on a completely different level. If he stays healthy he'll be a #1 defenseman in the NHL. He thinks the game at a way higher level then anyone else on the ice.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sure, if that was the only time you ever watched Honka play. Honka had a rough season, Wilson/Hitchcock trying to change his style of play. Honka is a way better player then that.

Heiskanen you can just tell in the World Championship games, he's on a completely different level. If he stays healthy he'll be a #1 defenseman in the NHL. He thinks the game at a way higher level then anyone else on the ice.

It's amazing to watch him, and compare him to our other D-men. His skill level& potential are on a whole different level.
He can fly with the puck and he seems to be often in the right place in the defensive zone breaking up the play, he has the potential to be very frustrating to play against, not due to his physical game but his defensive IQ.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Lidstrom wasn't overly physical and he turned out alright :)

Not saying Miro will be Lidstrom but I've heard that comparison. Let's hope he finds some good D partners in Dallas for years to come.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

I'm talking about Honka at the World Championships.. bottom pair with awful play and losing minutes every game. I think against Canada he played 11 minutes.. Yikes.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'm talking about Honka at the World Championships.. bottom pair with awful play and losing minutes every game. I think against Canada he played 11 minutes.. Yikes.

Yeah and basing your opinion off him thanks to this year alone its easy to slot him as a career AHLer. However if you look at his development until this year he was projecting incredibly well. It will be a massive year for him next year. He basically need to come out and show he is an NHL talent early (even if its only a 3rd pairing role) or he starts to slip into an after thought. Its incredibly disappointing because he looked NHL ready and about twice the player that he is now back when he was 19/20 years old, but thanks to holding on to 8D for so long he didnt get a chance to even show what he had and a Dallas writer said it best where in his 3rd AHL year he started to develop bad habits because he looked bored and his skating was that much better than the rest of the league that he could clean up his own mess. That is not the case in the NHL.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hate to admit it, but has crossed my mind that Honka may be trying to play himself off the Stars, after seeing former Stars with lesser skill do well in the PO< just knowing the Stars history in player development, especially D, etc. Yes, Monty should be the type of coach that lets him thrive, but he may wonder......who knows what is said.

It just looks like, from a distance, its another youngster who has lost his confidence in Big D. JD is looking similar, not taking advantage of the chances he is given, at least so far.

While we can gripe at Nill for his picks, maybe the real blame lays in our development process.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Hate to admit it, but has crossed my mind that Honka may be trying to play himself off the Stars, after seeing former Stars with lesser skill do well in the PO< just knowing the Stars history in player development, especially D, etc. Yes, Monty should be the type of coach that lets him thrive, but he may wonder......who knows what is said.

It just looks like, from a distance, its another youngster who has lost his confidence in Big D. JD is looking similar, not taking advantage of the chances he is given, at least so far.

While we can gripe at Nill for his picks, maybe the real blame lays in our development process.
That makes no sense.

Also, "our development process" is Nill's job as well. He needs to be fired.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Didn't say it wasn't. Seems like Willie D did a great job with prospects, although Laxdall is doing quite well now. We just need a few of those seasoned AHL prospects to be ready for the big time.

Hadn't thought about it, but never heard whether T Stars were told to play Hitch style dump and chase last year. IF so, they will probably change back to Monty's style, and maybe another year of lost development for some prospects, or close.

Success all ties together at every level, I guess. In Detroit, (and NJ in their primes) seemed like the system had plug and play players. An NHL guy goes down, an AHL guy comes in and plays the same way, etc. That was always my problem with Niewy's drafting, seemed all over the board. Nill seemed a bit more consistent, but not like the old Detroit days, although truth be told, they had more of a rep for their finds of Dats and Zetts, much like we found Benn and Klinger.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Read somewhere that Miro The Hero might be traded. But rumors are just rumors.
I hope, anyway.

T ... for Texas (Lynyrd Skynyrd!). The place to be for Miro - and nowhere else.

Once a star always a star in The Lone Star State, remember (and 'ey to you mr Modano!).

Rugged individualism and independent spirit ... and Texas longhorn burgers; that's the spirit - and drown it down with liquors like Pura Vida Silver Tequila (ZZ Top!). Then you're on top ...

Plus plenty of sunshine and plenty of icetime!

... of the icehockey world ... and Miro The Hero should fit like a boxing-glove in Dallas!

Last edited:
Reactions: Blindsummit

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Only one game, but very encouraging to see him dominant against some decent competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad