Mirco Mueller

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think he's much closer to being NHL ready but I think that DW (and maybe the coaches) might have some tunnel vision when it comes to Mueller.

He's been highly (and loudly) touted over the past year so it might be a case of not so much him having to earn it but someone else having to be a whole lot better to get a spot over him. Just a guess on my part though.

There really aren't that many people on this team that are light years ahead of him at this point. His competition basically comes down to Irwin(who I personally don't care for) and maybe Hannan. That's still maybe one empty LD spot and one precariously held onto by Irwin.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I get the feeling that they're 100% counting on Mueller to make it. Which I don't like.

Actually, let me amend that: They're banking on Mueller making it and they'll all but hand him a spot, but they'll invite Scott Hannan to camp and sign him if Mueller is reeeeeaaaaaaally not ready.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
There really aren't that many people on this team that are light years ahead of him at this point. His competition basically comes down to Irwin(who I personally don't care for) and maybe Hannan. That's still maybe one empty LD spot and one precariously held onto by Irwin.

Physically, Abeltshauser is way ahead of Mueller. He also has a year of playing pro under his belt and he was very good from January on.

I'd rather they move one of their RD to LD then put Mueller in the line up because "there's no one better". He needs to be ready for NHL minutes and I'm not sure he is.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
All of our tall skinny wanna be Prongers are overrated. They ain't making ****.

Although Doherty has filled out a bit.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
If he's as good as we want him to be, I see no reason to rush him.

If he develops well, he'll be in a great position in a few years.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Wilson doesn’t like to hype up his prospects, but one player he must be particularly focused on is Mueller.

Does the lanky 19-year old have a legitimate shot of making the opening night roster?

“The answer is yes,” Wilson said. “We’re committing to young players, and the players that are ready to play, will play. Mirco is already up to 206, 207 pounds. We have high expectations for him.

“We’re not going to give them spots unless they’re ready for it, but there’s a group of them that there’s no doubt that they’ll come into camp ready to show us that they are ready. If they are, they will play.”

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/sharks-notes-hertl-tweaks-knee-prospect-camp

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I'd give mueller his 9 games. But mostly I want to see him leaned on in preseason.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
They think he's gonna be another Vlasic ...but that seems highly unlikely. And it seems like these expectations might be bad for him. Hopefully they are a bit more patient than it seems with him.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
They think he's gonna be another Vlasic ...but that seems highly unlikely. And it seems like these expectations might be bad for him. Hopefully they are a bit more patient than it seems with him.

If that were the case, it would be pretty close to a home run. I'll take another Braun, but on the left side.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I mean. Are we willing to say that mueller will just be given a spot? They have no reason to do that unless it benefits the player and the team.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
I mean. Are we willing to say that mueller will just be given a spot? They have no reason to do that unless it benefits the player and the team.

It all depends. The Sharks gave Vlasic a spot sooner. On the top four to boot.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

I wouldn't say that Mueller will be given a spot but it does seem fairly clear to me that they expect him to "earn" one and seeing as there's one open spot in the top 6 on defense right now it appears to be his to lose.

As I mentioned somewhere else, I would guess that someone else is going to have to significantly outplay him in camp (or he's going to have to be pretty bad) for him to not be on the roster on opening day.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Wow 206lbs? He was drafted at 190 supposedly and to put that in perspective, Thornton was drafted at 190 also. I think 210 lbs would be a realistic goal for training camp and would probably be a fine weight if he does play in the NHL this year. Now we just need to see if his play is maturing as fast.
Well we don't know if it's 15 pounds of fat or muscle...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Generally DW is not vocal about our prospects. He seems really excited about Mueller. Last player he was this excited about was Hertl. So .. I am just going to wait and see how this pans out ..

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I get the feeling that they're 100% counting on Mueller to make it. Which I don't like.

I'm not sure how I feel. I think he certainly has room to grow, but we could really use a player like him. If there is any real obvious risk of us harming his development, obviously I'd like to leave him in the WHL. Tough call. :dunno:

I don't follow him enough though, so I'll defer to the judgement of people who watch him more. I think I've seen him once (live) and a few times on TV, but I did notice how quiet and subtle of a game he plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad