Mirco Mueller

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Is Mueller NHL ready? Do you think he will make the lineup next year?

I would say that he has maybe a 50-50 shot.

Also if somehow he does make it but the Sharks decide that they don't want him up, could they send him down in the 9 games and not burn a year on the contract?

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
They would have 9 games to decide to keep him in San Jose or send him back to his CHL team in Everrett where he would have to stay there the whole year. He cannot go to the AHL this year.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Do you think that the Sharks would give him those 9 games?

They're going to give him every opportunity to make the team. If he's good enough through camp and pre-season they'll likely keep him on the roster to start the season & then re-evaluate after the 9 games.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
DW talked a couple months ago about how impressed he is with Muellers development, and performance last season. Also, Mueller was not 100% at camp last year. This year he will come in 100% and I would be surprised if we don't end up seeing him for a couple games to start the year.

I may be a little surprised if he actually stays past the 9 games, but I would hope DW isn't going to burn the first year on a guy like Mueller if he is struggling...

Hopefully Mueller comes out and impresses. It would be a very pleasant way to start the season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It would make some sense for Mueller to be the regular 3rd pairing guy with Demers. It would seem almost a rush for him to be here on defense at his age but I don't think there's much for him to learn in Everett. I would only send him back to Everett to have him focus mostly on improving his build but whether that's better for him to do there or in SJ I don't know with the schedules that NHL has compared to the WHL as well as the facilities which SJ would obviously have the better one at their disposal.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Hah. Sorry. But he seriously looks like a baby giraffe.

Actually I kinda worry about guys in the AHL just as much. I don't watch their games, but there always seems to be a lot of thugs running loose.

And in the WHL. I think he'll be fine.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
They're going to give him every opportunity to make the team. If he's good enough through camp and pre-season they'll likely keep him on the roster to start the season & then re-evaluate after the 9 games.

This is pretty much my guess as to what will happen, only at the end of nine games they'll send him back to juniors. He really isn't ready yet, and needs to bulk up a tad (maybe "fill out" is a better way to say that?).

I think eventually he's going to be a very good NHL defenseman. Just not in 14-15.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
This is pretty much my guess as to what will happen, only at the end of nine games they'll send him back to juniors. He really isn't ready yet, and needs to bulk up a tad (maybe "fill out" is a better way to say that?).

I think eventually he's going to be a very good NHL defenseman. Just not in 14-15.

I'd imagine he's going to fill out a bit over the summer but otherwise I agree. He still needs work on his game and playing top minutes in the WHL is a good place to do it.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

We kept saying that Nieto wasn't ready this year but they kept leaving him in the lineup(there wasn't really a better option anyways). So, I'm just gonna hope that it clicks for Mueller and he manages to be useful or DW has some sense of sanity still and sends him back down.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
We kept saying that Nieto wasn't ready this year but they kept leaving him in the lineup(there wasn't really a better option anyways). So, I'm just gonna hope that it clicks for Mueller and he manages to be useful or DW has some sense of sanity still and sends him back down.

Nieto was playing in college (older and bigger players) and was 21 for most of his first NHL season.

Mueller is playing in the WHL and is going into his 19yo season (he'll be 20 in late March)...they're not comparable at all.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I've been watching the AHL for over 20 years, and thuggery is virtually never an issue, certainly no more than you see in the NHL.

As someone who doesn't watch, averaging over a fight per game makes it look like things get pretty thuggish.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

I think the bold is the key...Nieto wasn't going to need a full AHL season to get going, as because there were not other legitimate options (and SJ tried with JMac, Hamilton, et al) keeping Nieto in SJ made sense.

With Mueller, it's a tad different. As stalockrox notes, he's younger than Nieto, and the best part for SJ is they can push Mueller's ELC off a year by letting him develop as a top pairing defenseman in the WHL.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
As someone who doesn't watch, averaging over a fight per game makes it look like things get pretty thuggish.

Fights in the AHL are almost exclusively "veteran" fighter vs fighter or up and comers trying to make a name for themselves against other tough prospects or vs the big boys.

There really is very little cheap shot BS in the AHL.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I think (and hope) it's Abeltshauser that makes it next year, not Mueller.

I think he's much closer to being NHL ready but I think that DW (and maybe the coaches) might have some tunnel vision when it comes to Mueller.

He's been highly (and loudly) touted over the past year so it might be a case of not so much him having to earn it but someone else having to be a whole lot better to get a spot over him. Just a guess on my part though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad