Minor League Thread 2017-18: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hopefully they can get him an apartment in the NY area and he can train in NA during the summer. He took some big hits early in the season, you'd like to see him do a little strength training to get ready so he's not Buchneviching his first NHL season.

Agree on the sentiment (his frame though seemed more filled up already compared to Buch). Where does Pasta train in the summer if he wants a compatriot? Otherwise join Kreider and Buch

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Pack getting outshot 7-0 halfway through the 1st, but no score.

Edit: Spoke too soon. 8-0 shots, 1-0 goals.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Pack on the board!!!!

They got a shot on goal, finally. Still 1-0 Charlotte.

Brendan Smith had the penalty that led to the Charlotte PP goal. Big surprise.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Pack on the board!!!!

They got a shot on goal, finally. Still 1-0 Charlotte.

Brendan Smith had the penalty that led to the Charlotte PP goal. Big surprise.

He took that penalty while the WOLFPACK were on a 3 on 2 :laugh:

I’m here at the game. It’s pretty bad. The Checkers have at least been getting pucks on goal, but honestly the haven’t been much better.

The Nieves and Albert lines feel like they’ve been seeing more time than the Andersson and Chytil lines, but that could just be perception.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He takes so many penalties. Him and Holden, although Holden's taken less of them this year. Being able to not take penalties for a defenseman is an important skill.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Outshot 27-6 after 2, but still only 1-0 Charlotte. Halverson the only one playing well, it seems. Hopefully we can steal it in the 3rd. Lehigh Valley is helping us, beating Bridgeport 4-0 after 2.

Edit: Ah crap. Stupid AHL website. 28-6 shots, 2-0 Charlotte after 2.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Outshot 27-6 after 2, but still only 1-0 Charlotte. Halverson the only one playing well, it seems. Hopefully we can steal it in the 3rd. Lehigh Valley is helping us, beating Bridgeport 4-0 after 2.

Edit: Ah crap. Stupid AHL website. 28-6 shots, 2-0 Charlotte after 2.

Halverson was fantastic on a 5 on 3 kill. Andersson got turned around and lost on the 2nd goal.

Also, shots in the arena are 25-6. Not that it’s better.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Wolf Pack down 5-0. They are feeling the effects of having all their good players up with the Rangers.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That was awful.

Nieves looks pretty dejected out there by the way.

Smith is dogging it, which comes as no surprise.

The highlight of the night for the Wolfpack was Halverson, who made quality save after quality save for 50 minutes until the wheels completely fell off.

Nothing of note to mention about the Centers.

I’ll be there tomorrow night. Hopefully I have something positive to report.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The Wolf Pack is playing our old ECHL affiliate Charlotte Checkers, now belonging to the Cane.

Halverson in the net.

Fogarty - Chytil - Schneider to start. Crawley and Smith on the blue line.

Pedrie with a crazy giveaway from behind the net to the front of the goalie. Beautiful pass if they had been on the same team. Good positioning by Halvy prevented a good shot and then he stopped whatever the Checker could shoot at

The Pack lost 4 blueliners (ADA, Pionk, Gilmour, Sproul) recently, so it's Graves, ECHLers and the pissed off Brenden Smith. Pedrie, I guess is an AHLer, just a bad one. Oh forgot Albert, so him, too.

PENALTY: Lias tries to set up Brenden Smith with a pass in front of the goalie, but why focus on catching and shooting the puck when you can just pull down a Checker for no reason whatsoever. Smith to the box with an idiotic penalty. Gorton should send the guy to play in the North Korean League.

PP Goal: Canes set up on the PP, pass to the blue line, the defenseman moves up a little and blasts the puck up high pasts Halvy. There was a lot of traffic in front of Halvy and it looks like the puck changed directions, so I can't blame him for it. 1-0

Our old friend Saarela getting a lot of ice time for the Checkers.

Not sure why Gropp is with Lias, while Fogarty is with Chytil. I'd switch it up: Chytil has amazing passing ability and could take advantage of Gropp's ability to shoot. Instead Fogarty is an offensive anchor on the line. But Lias is a two-way forward so together with Fogarty he can face the other team's top line.

No shots on goal for the Pack with 11:35 gone in the game. That is some quality hockey.

Nieves with a pass to send Kosmo on a breakaway, but it skips over his stick.

Smith, pass to Crawley who steps up for a shot. This is the Pack's first shot of the game, coming more than 13 minutes into the game. On pace for 8.5 shots per 60 minutes!

The reason Graves is not in the NHL is that he thinks too slow. Every play should be a split second faster or else the other team can adjust. If he's just slightly faster, he's a beast on both defense and offense. There's a difference between poised (Pionk) and slow-thinking (Graves).

Glove save by Halvy. Glove saves always look beautiful.

Checkers announcer really likes Lias. Talked about watching him in the WJC and loving him there, and was even impressed that he threw away the silver medal because it shows that winners don't settle for second place and don't value silvers, only gold. Not sure his name, but it's someone the other guy described as a long-time AHL vet who played 2 NHL games.

Graves tries to stickhandle, looks like he lost confidence, choked up the puck.

Pack PP. Chelios with a dirty hit.

Pack can't set up on the PP. Lias tried to shoot, but go t blocked. Now the second unit is set up, hard shot but not on the net. PP killed.

Chytil is visible by being in the right place all the time to get the puck, but not able to finish plays well today, resulting in turnovers.

Second Pack shot with 1:03 left in the first. Took them over 13 minutes to get the first shot and under 6 minutes to get the second shot, so that's... progress?

Delay of the game on the Checkers. Another Pack PP.

The minute-long PP was a disaster, couldn't set up at all. One more minute to start the second period.

END OF ONE

If the notes are boring, it's because the period was boring. I think it's 2 shots on goal total for the Pack.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
SECOND PERIOD

Nieves between Kosmo and Chytil to start the period, but it's probably because it's a PP, not because Chytil was moved to the RW.

Smith goes through 3 Checks, crashed into the boards, stays on the ice for a while, skates off the ice bent over. May be injured.

Crawley with good defense 1 on 1 against Saarela.

Schneider with an up close shot, but got stopped.

Chytil creates a scoring chance, Fogarty doesn't know what to do with it and puts a soft shot on the net. Chytil needs a non-anchor on his left.

Albert on a clean breakaway from the side, but the Checker goalie with an insanely long/difficult name stops him.

Craw with a brutal turnover.

Zboro with a good smart play to cut off a Checker, then block his pass.

Good defensive play by Lias.

Chytil intercepts the puck after chasing back to prevent a fastbreak.

Chytil got hit hard.

Now Cat hit hard in mid-ice, knocked on the ground.

Lias and Kosmo on a 2 on 1, but Lias could not make the pass. Then the Checkers went back and scored, but it got waived off for crashing into the goalie. Play under review. Ruling: no goal.

The combination of speed, hassle and brains makes Chytil visible every shift, even if it's just to run up and knock the puck out along the boards or to get in the way of a skating forward.

Good arm save by Halvy on a 2 on 1.

Leedahl takes a penalty. No joke, they give him fried chicken in the penalty box. He looks a little surprised, but the guy in the penalty box shows to eat it. Leedahl takes out a piece and starts eating it, suddenly looking much happier than when he first entered the box.

Andersson with a clear.

Fogarty clears again. But Schneider shoves the defenseman into the goalie who came out to play the puck, and it's now 5 on 3.

Halvy with a couple big save from up close. Then another kick save. Halverson with a spectacular save moving side to side, then another save 10 seconds later. Very strong so far. I guess he didn't like the ECHL.

Halvy, still on 5 on 3, makes another good save, showing excellent side to side mobility.

Leedahl comes out and drives the puck towards the Checker net despite being shorthanded. I guess that fried chicken gave him a boost of energy because that's the first time I noticed him on the ice.

Halverson keeps making saves. Damn that was over half a dozen saves on the 2 PPs. Spectacular goaltending tonight.

Hartford has 6 shots on goal with over 36 minutes gone.

SCORE: Kosmo reaches out to challenge a Checker defenseman on the blue line, but the Checker goes right around him. Then Kosmo turns into a spectator, just watching and not moving his feet as he glides. The defenseman skates closer, inside the circle, the Pack players all challenge him, pass to a guy on the other side in front of the empty net and it's a goal. Kosmo should've defended against the guy who scored, but he chose to take a break instead. Not Halverson's fault, though on replay, it looks like he moved too far to his left so his right got really exposed. 2-0.

PENALTY: A Pack guy without a number or a name on his jersey took a penalty. The guy in the penalty box gave him a big, big hug. Then they began slow dancing with each other in the penalty box. Where's the fried chicken? Before you feel up your date, at least pick up the dinner.

SECOND PERIOD OVER.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
He takes so many penalties. Him and Holden, although Holden's taken less of them this year. Being able to not take penalties for a defenseman is an important skill.

lol, what? Holden has 12 minutes worth this year and he had 35 last year. In comparison:

McDonagh: 20 and 37
Staal: 10 and 34
Skjei: 25 and 42

Why do people insist on fabricating reasons to hate on Holden. He has been good for us, is that such a terrible thing?

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
THIRD PERIOD

Graves clears to kill off the PK.

Andrew Miller is good for the Checkers. Best player on the ice.

Halverson's glove looks better than before. Side to side mobility too.

Chytil with a steal in the defensive zone. When you're smarter, faster and have better vision than others, it doesn't just help you in the offensive zone.

Graves with a hard slap shot, but took a split second too long to shoot it, giving the goalie the chance to set up.

Big hit in mid-ice on Chytil as he tried a spin-o-rama.

Lias skates the puck well on a PK. Gets a shot off.

Halverson continues to be the Pack MVP.

First scoring chance for the Pack comes almost 48 minutes into the game, but a big save by a Checkers goalie. You can guess who created the Pack's only scoring chance.

SCORE: Slap shot from the blue line, at least one, maybe two redirections, and in. Brutal game by the Pack. 3-0.

Only 11 shots by the Pack after 49 minutes.

Pack looks out of gas. That said, they've looked like their engine broke from the first minute.

Clear 2 on 1 by the Checkers, but a good save by Halverson. Patient, good positioning.

I wonder what's going with with Greenville Bunnies right now. With so many guys called up because of Rangers and Pack injuries, the Bunnies must be literally random beer league guys who got 10-game contracts. Must be exciting that all of a sudden you get to say you're a professional, paid hockey player. Garret Clemment, Caleb Cameron are suddenly ECHLers.

Kosmo knocked on his butt mid-ice.

Leedahl with another penalty. Guess he got hungry for more fried chicken. Or jealous that he didn't get any sexual harassment on his first penalty.

Enormous save by Halvy, moving side to side and catching the puck perfectly. NHL highlight reel. The Checker looks up in the air. Benny really knows what he's doing with goalies, holy smokes.

Cat with a good drive with a burst of speed.

SCORE: Good diving save by Halvy. Then another save 10 seconds later. Then firing practice from up close and it's 4-0.

SCORE: Nieves can't grab the puck and skate with it, so it's a turnover. Pass to a guy 2 feet in front of Halverson, save, rebound, nobody helps Halvy clear the rebound and it's a goal. 5-0. The kid now looks rattled/upset in the net.

SCORE: Cat is skating alone inside his defensive third and just gets scared or something, so he freaks out and gives up the puck, breakaway and 6-0.

This is some of the worst hockey I've seen in my life.

Pack player trying to dump and chase the puck. Easy enough, right? Except when he wrists the puck in, he falls down face first. This is like kids who never played hockey trying it out for the first time.

Labrie decided to fight out of sexual frustration. Whatever. Next time try playing hockey so you aren't so frustrated at the end of the game.

END OF THE GAME. Horrendous, just beyond words. I need a refund for this game plus compensation for the pain and suffering I had to endure watching this disaster.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Brendan Smith has not played in the third period. He's injured.

Nieves has been totally absent tonight, noticeable only on the turnover that led to the 5th goal. Lias mostly too. Pretty much the whole team. Halverson was excellent, Chytil tried. Everyone else shouldn't get paid for tonight.

I know 6 goals by Halverson sounds awful, but he was actually excellent. It's the rest of the team that gave him no support at all and allowed either 4-5 shots in a row or breakaways and 2 on 1s. Displayed real talent tonight. I want to see him play when the Pack isn't a total disaster.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
lol, what? Holden has 12 minutes worth this year and he had 35 last year. By comparison:

McDonagh: 20 and 37
Staal: 10 and 34
Skjei: 25 and 42

Why do people insist on fabricating reasons to hate on Holden. He has been good for us, is that such a terrible thing?

Those numbers you used don't disprove what I am saying. I think 35 is a lot, especially for a non-fighter or player who doesn't get involved in many scrums that cause him to get PIM's. Maybe its unreasonable, but I'd want all of my defenseman under 30, if they aren't those types of defensemen. A penalty is a big time negative defensive play, so especially for DFD, I don't know why PIM's shouldn't be held against them in evaluating their play.

This year, he's been better with it, I even said that. It looks like he's actually had pretty low penalty minutes for his career, so maybe I should have clarified about my opinion being based on only last season, but last season I think he took a lot of penalties, and the numbers prove that out based on my opinion that I'd want them under 30.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Brendan Smith has not played in the third period. He's injured.

Nieves has been totally absent tonight, noticeable only on the turnover that led to the 5th goal. Lias mostly too. Pretty much the whole team. Halverson was excellent, Chytil tried. Everyone else shouldn't get paid for tonight.

I know 6 goals by Halverson sounds awful, but he was actually excellent. It's the rest of the team that gave him no support at all and allowed either 4-5 shots in a row or breakaways and 2 on 1s. Displayed real talent tonight. I want to see him play when the Pack isn't a total disaster.
Beacon, Thanks so much for these reports, I know I'm not the only poster here who really appreciates them!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Wolfpack skating much better tonight. Still only six shots on goal through 1 and they’re down 2-0 on a couple of really bad goals allowed by Halverson. Shame after his performance last night.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Goal by Lias, but Charlotte scores again less than a minutes later. Pack down 3-1 end of 2.

That whole goal sequence was created by Gropp driving hard into the zone. Fontaine with some hard work. He makes a difference on that line.

The goal against basically came from Labrie losing his way and being too close to Graves behind the net. Graves had no options to move the puck to, so tried to put the puck up the boards and the Checkers took it over.

Reactions: Mac n Gs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad