Speculation: Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - summer 2018 to summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bears with an abysmal 2nd period but came to play in the 3rd. DSP scored the game tying goal 17 seconds into the period. The line of Walker-Megna-DSP was Hershey’s bear line of the night. Snively with the GWG. Ended up playing on a line with Malenstyn and Pinho and they seemed to do well. Really liked the effort and compete level of Snively for his first game. He’s smaller in size but is a solid skater and is very quick. Ended up getting 2nd unit PP time.

Hershey spent a lot of time on the PK this evening. Combo of some stupid penalties and some horrendous refs tonight. The AHL ref quality seems to have dipped significantly this year for whatever reason. Hershey rolled out Malenstyn, Walker, Megna, Liam and Gersich as their PK forwards. Malenstyn has taken huge strides this year and is already a very solid defensive forward.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Any insight on why Johansen's offensive numbers dropped off so badly recently? 1+2 and -1 in 20 games since his return to the lineup.
I think it has more to do with the game he's being asked to play to try and stabilize his regular partner Hobbs game. LuJo can't really activate as much as his game allows him to because Hobbs has seemingly regressed this year after looking raw-talent but under-developed last season.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Any insight on why Johansen's offensive numbers dropped off so badly recently? 1+2 and -1 in 20 games since his return to the lineup.
I think it has more to do with the game he's being asked to play to try and stabilize his regular partner Hobbs game. LuJo can't really activate as much as his game allows him to because Hobbs has seemingly regressed this year after looking raw-talent but under-developed last season.
I’d also add that it has a lot to do with the fact that Hershey hasn’t stabilized as D pair besides Ness-Lewington. There was a lot of LuJo-Siegs before the Siegs recall mainly because Siegs game allows LuJo to maximize his potential. If we’re being honest, his best d pair partner would be Lewington but messing up that pairing doesn’t make sense. The RD pool is nothing but offensive minded defensemen. FA signing Sproul is another offensive guy.

Plus, the second PP unit doesn’t get a ton of time on the ice and LuJo runs that unit. It’s a classic case of a player not playing bad (the eye test) but just not getting points. Some stable pairings would be nice to allow these guys the chance to develop chemistry but it just hasn’t happened with injuries and recalls

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Quinnipiac lost 3-1 so I guess we'll get a resolution soon enough on Priskie. He turned the puck over for the dagger ENG. A tough play to finish your college career. Kind of a quiet night for him otherwise. I expected more flashes of dominance given some of the buzz he'd received, esp. lately. He did play the Ovechkin role on their PP in what seemed to be a very similar setup overall. I mainly expected more of a spark 5-on-5. He did look to join the rush and get up ice but it wasn't overly effective and he didn't seem to puck rush much. Brogan Rafferty tended to stand out a bit more on their blueline and played just as much if not more.

arlcapsfan

Oct 3, 2015
Hi All, could someone give me a eatimate as to when the AHL playoffs begin. I’d like to bring the kids up to experience that. Thanks in advance !

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi All, could someone give me a eatimate as to when the AHL playoffs begin. I’d like to bring the kids up to experience that. Thanks in advance !
Hershey's last two home games are April 13-14th. They technically have not secured a playoff spot yet, but it's more likely than not that they get in barring en epic collapse.

I'd estimate sometime in the week of April 15th would be the most likely starting point. It's too far out to know when they'd be at home since they can still finish somewhere between 2nd to 4th in their division. Plus, building availability for both teams plays a huge role in scheduling a playoff series since there are always things going on at minor league stadiums (Circus, Concerts, Disney On Ice, etc.). First round series is a best of 5 in the AHL as well.

I'd keep your options open for the week of April 15th

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I caught that Bears/Bruins game this past week myself with the family. Didnt have as much time to watch players as in the past while chasing down my 4 year old, but some guys caught my eyes.

Malenstyn and Gersich looked good. Pilon is another to watch. Hes all over the place.

Geisser seemed steady on the PK which I was impressed with overall. Always good to see.

DSP should be called back up for the playoffs IMO. I though he looked really good at times.

It was a really hot crowd. It was nice being back up there after quite a few years. The kids had a blast so its going to be a bit more regular going forward.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bears currently playing the Marlies. One of the Marlies day games that they do on a yearly basis. Up 3-0 going into the third period with goals by Megna, Sgarbossa and Pinho.

The big news though is that Barber left the game with an “upper body injury” and was taken back to do concussion testing. Apparently he took a big hit but I have no idea if it was a dirty hit or not.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad