Pre-Game Talk: Minnesota Wild vs. St. Louis Blues Round One of the Playoffs Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I very highly doubt Elliott thinks he should be sitting. You guys give him way too much credit.

Same guy who told JR he would keep his honest thoughts to myself. Was an All-Star this year. Was our starter the whole year and just had a good performance against Minnesota. I'm not arguing for him to be the starter, but there's no way he actually thinks Allen should be in there. He'll support him, but all athletes have SOME pride.
I actually agree with you. There's always a difference between what you say and what you think.

What I meant was that I don't think Elliott's one to rock the boat over this "snub." I think he's going to keep his mouth shut, and do everything he can on the ice to get the starter job back. I'd be mildly surprised if he didn't get at least one start these playoffs.

Since someone else mentioned it, I'd be also surprised, but not shocked, if Elliott demanded a trade in the offseason.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
I think this could be more of "give the hot goalie a game or 2 and see what happens" instead of "Elliott just lost his job to the rookie", unless that is just me.

FloridaBlue

Mar 9, 2014
Wildwood, MO
Elliott wasn't even available for comments after the decision was made. He's not going to be happy with it. It's one thing to support Allen which he'll do, but for him to honestly think Allen should be in there over himself after what he's done for the past year... No, you're kidding yourself if you believe that.

Oh I agree with you. I'm just saying I'm sure he realizes the reasoning for Allen over himself. Doesn't mean he agrees with it.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Matt Cooke and Jake Allen's playoff history are the only two things that worry me about this series. Glad that one of them is out of the equation in game 1.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
People nationally are freaking out about our goalie situation, and I actually think it's fine. We have a young, up and coming guy who has played exceptionally well the last few weeks, and if he falters, we have a guy that has playoff starting experience and is as determined as anyone to get that job back. It keeps Jake on his toes knowing Ells is chompingat the bit to get back in the game. It could be better(like having an established stud like Rinne, Hank, Price) but it's far from the huge Achilles Heal people make it out to be.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
People nationally are freaking out about our goalie situation, and I actually think it's fine. We have a young, up and coming guy who has played exceptionally well the last few weeks, and if he falters, we have a guy that has playoff starting experience and is as determined as anyone to get that job back. It keeps Jake on his toes knowing Ells is chompingat the bit to get back in the game. It could be better(like having an established stud like Rinne, Hank, Price) but it's far from the huge Achilles Heal people make it out to be.

Ask Ottawa fans about how confident they are in their goalie in comparison to Allen. Enjoy the meltdown that unfolds. ;)

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
I'm happy Allen got the nod. But now that it's happened, Elliott no longer really matters to me this series when looking at this team from a bird's eye view. Only one can play and it will take a lot for Hitch to switch.

We've got a rookie in net with a history of regular season success and terrible playoff performances. But he's hot (like many others who are coming into the playoffs), and he's improved. I'm confident in him but I 100% understand the national point of view. Of all of the starting goalies on Western playoff teams, he's probably the weakest looking right now. No shame in admitting that. I think he can step up with the rest of the team but that's still got to be listed as our biggest question mark.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I think the national attention stems from attempting to find a possible weakness in the Blues lineup. Media has got to find something to talk about. I doubt folks outside of the Blues fan based want to hear about how deep the Offense and Defense are.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't think anyone is surprised after what happened down the stretch. Hopefully Allen can run with this and cement himself as the Blues future.

Elliott won't be happy, anyone who thinks that is a bad thing doesn't understand sports; you need to be demanding of yourself. Being upset doesn't mean you create a distraction or you don't think it was the right decision. Elliott isn't Halák.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
I don't think anyone is surprised after what happened down the stretch. Hopefully Allen can run with this and cement himself as the Blues future.

Elliott won't be happy, anyone who thinks that is a bad thing doesn't understand sports; you need to be demanding of yourself. Being upset doesn't mean you create a distraction or you don't think it was the right decision. Elliott isn't Halák.

Do you think he'll ask for an trade in the off-season? I have to think that losing the starting job multiple times here would make him a bit sour on the Blues.

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
The Blues have two good goalies so why did you guys even bother with Brodeur earlier this year? Were both Allen and Elliot hurt at the same time?

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Do you think he'll ask for an trade in the off-season? I have to think that losing the starting job multiple times here would make him a bit sour on the Blues.

He might ask for a trade but this is the first time he's ever lost the starting job. Before this year it was always Halak or Miller in front of him. He and Halak might have worked in tandem but when it came down to it everyone knew Halak was #1

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
The Blues have two good goalies so why did you guys even bother with Brodeur earlier this year? Were both Allen and Elliot hurt at the same time?

Elliott was out for a couple months, after Allen all we have is Binnington who is in his first pro year in the AHL, needed insurance

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
Serious question: do teams embrace a "whatever it takes to win" strategy and then purposely attempt to injure players on the other team? I know that publicly this will never be accepted as truth, but just like NFL, I believe that some organizations go above and beyond physical play against other teams skilled players.

King boarding Pietrangelo, Seabrook headhunting Backes, Brown's attempted elbow/knee
dustinknee_medium.gif

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Elliott was injured and we knew Binnington wasn't NHL ready. Great prospect, but would be putting him in a bad position like Boston done with Subban later in the season.

We had planned on signing Climie if we needed short term help, but he was terrible for the Wolves at that point.

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
If so, and it worked for the Hawks/Kings, do the Blues need to embrace this strategy? Think about the Cup winners of the past and how many of those teams put an opponent's player out for the playoff series sometime during their Cup run?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Difficult to say at this point. If we go out in the second round, I doubt it. I think his attitude is more likely to use it as fuel to make sure he gets the starters role back. He wasn't ignored this season, he was the starter and lost it.

If we win the Cup and Jake Allen is now the clear #1 goalie, then I could see Elliott possibly asking for a trade then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad