Pre-Game Talk: Minnesota Wild vs. St. Louis Blues Round One of the Playoffs Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Discuss.

Seen a couple harsh posts from their fans about the Blues choke-jobs over the years. Im fairly pumped up to watch the Blues give them a beat down. Must say that most of them were sensible and it was only one poster. Have to admit, with the Blues history I cant blame them, but the Blues have never been this good, IMO.

This team better not let me down and take a huge step forward.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah not gonna be happy if we lose this one. We're the better team and should get it done in 5 or 6. I feel confident in our guys as long as we get some stable goaltending. Dubnyk doesn't worry me at all.

Can't imagine Minnesota is too thrilled about this matchup considering Nate Prosser let the St. Louis media know they were high-fiving last year when they didn't draw the Blues. :laugh:

Let's go boys.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I want to see Dubnyk get yanked game 1. Wild won't be a pushover but if they think just shutting down Tarasenko will stop the Blues then they will be disappointed. The Blues are at full health and a much better team then last year, if they can't get it done, they never will

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I am very confident about this series. This is the ideal matchup in my opinion. Wild have played well in the second half, but we are unquestionably the better team.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Yeah not gonna be happy if we lose this one. We're the better team and should get it done in 5 or 6. I feel confident in our guys as long as we get some stable goaltending. Dubnyk doesn't worry me at all.

Can't imagine Minnesota is too thrilled about this matchup considering Nate Prosser let the St. Louis media know they were high-fiving last year when they didn't draw the Blues. :laugh:

Let's go boys.
They did beat us a couple times this year to possibly change that stance, though. That's still pretty funny.

Was nice to beat up on Dubnyk even with a depleted lineup on both ends. By every metric the Blues are the better team and Im a lot less worried about this series than the last 2 years of murderer's row, but anything can happen and this team has a history of proving that out. That said, Blues in 7 just to be nice.

Just imagining STL winning the first round with CHI and ANA getting knocked out.. the wide open lane to the SCF makes me happy.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Chicago has absolutely backed into the POs. I wont be surprised to see them bounced. I will have a looooong laugh.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
If the Blues lose this round, changes need to happen. It's understandable to lose to the Kings/Hawks for three straight years but this team is just too good to not get into the second round this year.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
You'd think that after 18 or 19 years (starting with 1996 ugh...) of continuing to be a Blues fan there would be nothing at this point that could make me question my faith. Getting bounced by Minnesota might do that.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Chicago has absolutely backed into the POs. I wont be surprised to see them bounced. I will have a looooong laugh.
Eh, they at least have Kane's injury as an excuse. Nashville did the same thing, so I think the 'Hawks will beat them.

But I'm fine facing Chicago in the 2nd round, I think he could beat them. I think the biggest key for us could be Winnipeg hopefully bruising up Anaheim as much as possible.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
If the Blues lose this round, changes need to happen. It's understandable to lose to the Kings/Hawks for three straight years but this team is just too good to not get into the second round this year.
The core is changing on its own, gutting the team wont do a bit of good. They have a window of about 3-5 years to win the Cup, maybe more if they made/make a few smart decisions with drafting and key trades that will no doubt involve some of the older core just because of the Cap.

Im not betting my Blues fandom on this season, but I damn well expect at least a 3rd round that could be a jumping off point for this team at the very least. This is the best team in the best Division, in the best conference. They need to show it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Eh, they at least have Kane's injury as an excuse. Nashville did the same thing, so I think the 'Hawks will beat them.

But I'm fine facing Chicago in the 2nd round, I think he could beat them. I think the biggest key for us could be Winnipeg hopefully bruising up Anaheim as much as possible.
Yea I forgot about Nashville nose diving lol.

I'm not all that worried about Anaheim, they just seem like a hodge podge team to me...they don't really excel at anything outside of the giant used car sales man and his side kick.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
The core is changing on its own, gutting the team wont do a bit of good. They have a window of about 3-5 years to win the Cup, maybe more if they made/make a few smart decisions with drafting and key trades that will no doubt involve some of the older core just because of the Cap.

Im not betting my Blues fandom on this season, but I damn well expect at least a 3rd round that could be a jumping off point for this team at the very least. This is the best team in the best Division, in the best conference. They need to show it.

I don't mean gut the team but I look at this team as having two cores;

1)Backes, Steen, Oshie, Jackman, Elliott, Bouwmeester, Stastny
2)Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Allen, Jaskin

If they lose, I wouldn't mind multiple pieces of that first group being moved to get some younger players to help the second group moving forward.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Getzlaf just sold me a really nice beater, the ****er is leaving a trail every where I go. Perry did the paperwork and Im pretty sure it was made out of gingerbread.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Chicago looks vulnerable, but I'm not sure Nashville has the chutzpah to pull it off. They need to win the first game, or I just don't see it happening.

I don't believe Minnesota will have a higher gear than what they've been playing with the last couple months. Those of us that have followed the Blues closely probably will agree that we've rarely seen the team playing at its top effort level. They've been trending toward that for a couple weeks, are healthy, and to me they just give a vibe of maturity. I expect them to win the series decisively,but anything can happen in the playoffs. I'm feeling optimistic about the Blues making it out of the West.

The Rangers concern me a bit. I'd like to see them get knocked out before the finals. They look to be on a mission.

But that's getting way ahead of things. I just finally feel like this is a team that is realistically a threat against anyone.

Minnesota fans sure sound confident. I've kind of soured a bit on supporting their team, just after one too many obnoxious interactions. Their run to the playoffs is a great story......but it's over now. If the Blues falter now, this core will never get it done.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I'm really liking where we are at. We had our slump, and now we've come out of it winning five of six games. And now it's time to really catch fire. I was a bit worried there a couple weeks ago. We were having a slump at a very familiar point in the schedule, but we've done a complete 180.

The team I wanted to draw the most was Calgary, but that was impossible once they clinched their pacific division spot. The Wild were next in line, and I think it's a very good matchup for the Blues. We are the better team, and I'm looking for a dominant round 1...

Blues in 5.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
If we lose I will have to avoid the main boards for the next 3 months.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
I don't mean gut the team but I look at this team as having two cores;

1)Backes, Steen, Oshie, Jackman, Elliott, Bouwmeester, Stastny
2)Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Allen, Jaskin

If they lose, I wouldn't mind multiple pieces of that first group being moved to get some younger players to help the second group moving forward.
I agree, but only when its necessary. I dont want to see this team gutted and reliant on youth like it was when we had to wait for these younger guys to develop. Its a crap shoot and Ive seen it with many good teams. It always made them worse. The younger core has damn near already taken over and taken a ton of pressure off the older version. This is the perfect storm. Only Allen is a question mark, really.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
If we lose this series there must be serious changes to this team.
Depends on why.

Probably wont matter. I cant see the Wild dominating, however I do see some flukey goals ruining it. That's about it.

Wild better hope every puck they throw at the net bounces off the GD world and ends up in the net like that game they won against the Blues a few weeks ago.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I remember last year how the Blues came out on fire and really went toe to toe with the Hawks till literally the last 20min of the series. I hope there is another gear this year

All year I've been worried about not seeing the team really mesh but with the new Schwartz Stastny Oshie Combo, I think the offensive punch just got a little better. We're a much more physical team then the Wild and and absolutely crush them if need be and still out skill them. We're almost like a LA - CHICAGO hybrid...... all were missing is the proven goal tending but considering were going up against Dubnyk, it better not be an issue. Wild fans said he was pulled because he needed to be rested...no he let in 3 goals on 14 shots...that usually means your night is over. I'm confident with with Allen or Elliott.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
BTW, watching Elliott sit so deep in his net reaffirmed to me that Allen should be the starter unless he falters.

Allen is a better option at this point. He pushes out when things like that Parise goal tonight happened. He's bigger, more agile and much quicker.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Wish the playoffs started Monday. Twiddling my thumbs for 4-5 days is horrid.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
One of the few times in Blues team history that I can say if we don't win this series, I'll be extremely disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad