Minnesota Wild General Discussion XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Wow. I hate to be disagreeable but I cant agree with several of the comments here.

Kap is doing just fine without a number one center. I’m sure he would be more effective without Rask and Gaudrea but he seems to be doing ok so far.

Hartman is doing fine even though everyone says he’s a pile. What I’ve seen with Hartman‘s goals is he’s been given an opportunity to actually play hockey instead of being a pest grinder and he’s been picking corners and scoring deliberately.
Thirdly this Boldy fella sounds like the second coming of Christ ( which I hope he is) but he can’t go on the third or fourth line? This is 2021 and every line scores and every line checks. Did you think if he was on the top line that somehow he doesn’t have to check? As if their top players aren’t going to be playing across Kap and trying to tie him up?
It sounds like Mikko Koivu Jacques Lemaire boring trap ,win by one goal Minnesota wild. I think the team has progressed past that where Brodin can actually use his skating skill and go in when appropriate instead of stopping at the blue line and dumping it in for the last eight years or whatever,

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
1.) Yes. For whatever reason I struggle to see Kaprizov eclipsing 100 points, but I can see him hitting 90. I guess it depends on what a "legit center" would be, but I'd assume that he'll always be the best player on his line unless something really crazy falls into our laps.

2.) Personally I'll give him plenty of credit for it, because I'd damn sure rag on him if they sucked. Of course it's only December and there's still plenty of time for them to suck, but there doesn't seem to be any serious risk of that right now.

It's weird because Guerin's biggest moves so far have either been subtractions or moves he didn't make, but if you can do that and still come out with a winning team it's fair to credit him for his restraint and eye for the bigger picture. The current team hasn't been built so much as assembled, but it's been assembled while building a strong prospect pool underneath it. That's a hard thing to pull off.

My main concern with him right now is really about opportunity costs. We're going into 3 years of cap deadzone, which also correspond to the team's best player's prime years, which is a big problem. If this team keeps on like it has he's going to have to make a real choice about whether or not to burn some assets on a rental center to try for one last hurrah before the cold settles in, or just keep letting it ride with the group he's got.
I could see Kaprizov getting 100 points if he get's a legit center and is put on a power play that's somewhat good.

I mostly agree re-guerin. I like the mentality he's created, and it can't be understated that the personel decisions has lead to us getting the most out of everyone. Foligno, Hartman, Sturm, Etc. would never have emerged unless he made the calls he did. I like the current plan that he seems to be on. It's hard to pull off rebuilding while staying competitive, but I think the team has done a fabulous job of it so far.

I do have criticisms, though. He doesn't seem to be very good at contract evaluation negotiation. More often than not, I think he manages the cap poorly.

My biggest fear is that we push the chips in too early. I like the prospect base that we have, but I don't believe we're close to being ready to turn the page on building the next core. Rossi/Boldy/Lambos are nice, but you'd like to see a real superstar forward prospect emerge, as well as a potential 1D. It is nice to have Kaprizov, though, who can be a legit top player on a contending team. Something we've never had before.

#1. I was hoping he'd do the goal + points record in the same season, but he'll really have to pick up the scoring to do so. Pacing 93 as of now so he actually has some cushion to go cold for a quick spell. I think he'll do it (points at least).

#2. So much goes into this. Montreal had their fairy tale run and look where their GM is right now. I don't think Guerin is in any danger of that, though. I haven't gone through everything, but I'd guess that he'd be sitting maybe 60/40 or 65/35 as fair as positives vs. negatives, IMO.
I think he'll get hot with his shot once the power play gets figured out, but it's still hard to see him break the record. I will say though, he started at a similar, albeit less stellar pace last year, and was able to finish on a 40 goal pace. So, who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: guitarhunterdude

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If we start pushing the chips in around Kaprizov, Rossi, Boldy, and Kaprizov leaves when his contract is over, it's going to be a really long decade+. We have no contingency plan for Kaprizov walking. We have no one else to carry the load like he can, and unless we get an ungodly amount of luck drafting in the next few years, we won't then either. So we better hope Kaprizov stays and plays at a superstar level into his mid 30s.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I could see Kaprizov getting 100 points if he get's a legit center and is put on a power play that's somewhat good.

I mostly agree re-guerin. I like the mentality he's created, and it can't be understated that the personel decisions has lead to us getting the most out of everyone. Foligno, Hartman, Sturm, Etc. would never have emerged unless he made the calls he did. I like the current plan that he seems to be on. It's hard to pull off rebuilding while staying competitive, but I think the team has done a fabulous job of it so far.

I do have criticisms, though. He doesn't seem to be very good at contract evaluation negotiation. More often than not, I think he manages the cap poorly.

My biggest fear is that we push the chips in too early. I like the prospect base that we have, but I don't believe we're close to being ready to turn the page on building the next core. Rossi/Boldy/Lambos are nice, but you'd like to see a real superstar forward prospect emerge, as well as a potential 1D. It is nice to have Kaprizov, though, who can be a legit top player on a contending team. Something we've never had before.
Finding top-tier talent is still probably going to be an endless quest for this franchise. Took a dip to draft at #12 and #9, but the way things are set up I'd be surprised if they picked much higher than that even during the dead cap years. Maybe we'll just get lucky and one of these guys goes supernova.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Finding top-tier talent is still probably going to be an endless quest for this franchise. Took a dip to draft at #12 and #9, but the way things are set up I'd be surprised if they picked much higher than that even during the dead cap years. Maybe we'll just get lucky and one of these guys goes supernova.
I'd be surprised if we pick top 10 again during the dead cap era, but I think Brackett is capable of finding top of the lineup players later in the first round. Look at last year, Lambos/wallstedt both look like shrewd picks.

If we start pushing the chips in around Kaprizov, Rossi, Boldy, and Kaprizov leaves when his contract is over, it's going to be a really long decade+. We have no contingency plan for Kaprizov walking. We have no one else to carry the load like he can, and unless we get an ungodly amount of luck drafting in the next few years, we won't then either. So we better hope Kaprizov stays and plays at a superstar level into his mid 30s.
Yeah, that's why I'm not close to being ready to push the chips in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bazeek

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I get the idea that it’s not worth it to call up Boldy to play a checking role but we are currently in the position where we are playing our second best offensive player with AHLers. What gives? This is a no brainer.
It could be that Zucc is ready to play next game. I know he's close. Otherwise, I agree, it has to be Boldy as he plays LW and RW, and we have enough C's. The only other possible choices for a short term call up would be Rau(ho-hum), or Dewar(versatile). Beckman hasn't been playing all that well, and Rossi has been lying on the ice after the whistle for two games straight.

It's not really close as to who is the best forward right now in Iowa- it's Boldy.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Iowa has called up a forward from the ECHL, wonder if this has anything to do with a callup to Minnesota or the Rossi injury?

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
I was at the game last night, in the first few rows in a corner. The sight lines are awesome, but the lack of hockey sound is a bit jarring. When the game is in your end, you still hear them but they are muted. Other side of the rink, it's silence

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I'd be surprised if we pick top 10 again during the dead cap era, but I think Brackett is capable of finding top of the lineup players later in the first round. Look at last year, Lambos/wallstedt both look like shrewd picks.

For this exact reason I have always thought that the best, top teams who never pick top 15 actually have to place MORE emphasis on scouting, drafting, etc. Spend more money, not less. Be better at it than the bad teams even though you're team is always winning, and so it would be easy to not care as much about the 'farm'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad