Minnesota Wild General Discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Just read on google translate... it said injuries have prevented him from playing with the national team in past seasons, but doesn't say anything about a specific injury right now.
Yeah, all I got was it said that "if" he had to recover from injuries in the offseason, he wouldn't be able to play on the national team. Maybe it's just a bad translation though, not sure.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Just read on google translate... it said injuries have prevented him from playing with the national team in past seasons, but doesn't say anything about a specific injury right now.

Well google sucks...I'll translate this

"– Samtidig er han klar på at kroppen kjenner det stadig mer med alderen, og at det er visse «skavanker» han kjenner på. Så om han må operere, eller ha annen behandling, så må det tas i tidsrommet VM arrangeres."

Said his body feels the load more with age, and he has some minor issues. If he needs surgery, or some other treatment, it has to be done in the time period around the World Championship.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

"– Samtidig er han klar på at kroppen kjenner det stadig mer med alderen, og at det er visse «skavanker» han kjenner på. Så om han må operere, eller ha annen behandling, så må det tas i tidsrommet VM arrangeres."

Said his body feels the load more with age, and he has some minor issues. If he needs surgery, or some other treatment, it has to be done in the time period around the World Championship.
Excuses excuses

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota

Minor issues....in other words, something that half the team is probably playing through as well.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
A 32 year old undersized player isn’t feeling well at the end of the season? Color me surprised.

Tell me again how this wasn’t a terrible contract the day it was signed.

Reactions: 57special

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
102 point pace since Nov 13th when they were in last place after that horrid start.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The weird thing is buying out Zuccs might not be bad.

I would not be shocked if Zuccarello is not on the roster next season, whether by buyout or trade (yes, I know he has a NMC). It's obvious he isn't a fit anywhere in this lineup.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
He has actually looked like he could be playing with an injury. He really doesn't engage in contact at all, and is not quick to win a race to a puck with an opposing player.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was something. But that still doesn't give him a free pass to play bad, so they need to figure that out sooner than later.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Let’s talk about this team. I feel like we’re in an eerily similar position to the Blues a few years back. Some good players. Good defense. Missing a C. Missing a G. Really good young players/prospect pool. I just can’t stop thinking about the idea that, if we can offload Zuccarello somehow/somewhere, we’d have some big options for next year. Imagine this:
Assume Zuccarello disappears. Dumba and Donato for Nylander (maybe more from us, honestly). Sign Granlund W/ Zuccarello’s money. Buyout Dubnyk. Trade Pateryn.

Parise-Nylander-Fiala
Kaprizov-Staal-Granlund
Greenway-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Menell
Soucy-Belpedio

Kahkonen/Lehner/Markstrom
Stalock/Kahkonen.

a few years from now, Boldy comes in for Parise, Khovanov comes in for Staal. Addison is in the equation. With our 2 1sts this year:
17th: Jarvis/Mercer
28th:Foertser/Andrae/some other Ld or C

Reactions: nickschultzfan

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Let’s talk about this team. I feel like we’re in an eerily similar position to the Blues a few years back. Some good players. Good defense. Missing a C. Missing a G. Really good young players/prospect pool. I just can’t stop thinking about the idea that, if we can offload Zuccarello somehow/somewhere, we’d have some big options for next year. Imagine this:
Assume Zuccarello disappears. Dumba and Donato for Nylander (maybe more from us, honestly). Sign Granlund W/ Zuccarello’s money. Buyout Dubnyk. Trade Pateryn.

Parise-Nylander-Fiala
Kaprizov-Staal-Granlund
Greenway-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Menell
Soucy-Belpedio

Stalock/Kahkonen.

a few years from now, Boldy comes in for Parise, Khovanov comes in for Staal. Addison is in the equation. With our 2 1sts this year:
My only real criticisms:
- I don't think dumping Zuccarello this summer is realistic or necessary.
- I'm skeptical that Toronto will be willing to part with Nylander.

Neither of those really changes what you've laid out here. We need a goalie and a few should be available in free agency. We need a center and while the targets aren't obvious we do have considerable ammunition. Brodin or Dumba is still the obvious base, but Donato playing the way he has with the minutes he's gotten should make him a healthy sweetener. He's primed to pay dividends for any team that can give him top-9 minutes and/or powerplay time, whether that's Minnesota or someone else. We've also got the two 1sts.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
My only real criticisms:

Neither of those really changes what you've laid out here. We need a goalie and a few should be available in free agency. We need a center and while the targets aren't obvious we do have considerable ammunition. Brodin or Dumba is still the obvious base, but Donato playing the way he has with the minutes he's gotten should make him a healthy sweetener. He's primed to pay dividends for any team that can give him top-9 minutes and/or powerplay time, whether that's Minnesota or someone else. We've also got the two 1sts.
Yeah, the players aren’t set in stone. Obviously, we don’t even know if Granlund would want to play here again. Just the idea of where the team could go from here. The C is the hard part. Zuccarello I think we could move, but he’d have to waive and we’d have to attach a decent asset.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019

Parise-Nylander-Fiala
Kaprizov-Staal-Granlund
Greenway-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Menell
Soucy-Belpedio

Stalock/Kahkonen.

I love it. Only problem...Zucc.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
There is some speculation that the projected increase in salary cap for next year may be too high, and might not even hit the minimum number the league through out earlier due to escrow numbers.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Parise-Nylander-Fiala
Kaprizov-Staal-Granlund
Greenway-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Menell
Soucy-Belpedio

Stalock/Kahkonen.

I like this, but I don't see us being able to move Zucc. Why the f*** did we have to sign him....

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I would not be shocked if Zuccarello is not on the roster next season, whether by buyout or trade (yes, I know he has a NMC). It's obvious he isn't a fit anywhere in this lineup.

I'd say that's not Guerin's plan at all...

Just give Zuccarello a chance. He's in need of some repairs, nothing serious, but it obviously bothers him.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Just give Zuccarello a chance. He's in need of some repairs, nothing serious, but it obviously bothers him.

The problem with Zuccarello is that he's shooting 4% above his career S% and we're still disappointed in his production. He hasn't meshed with anyone on this team and having a 32 year old (33 at the start of next season) at $6M for another 4 seasons is disheartening.

Nobody here wants him to fail, but he hasn't shown anything that makes us optimistic about his future. The $6M that is allocated to him could be much better spent and we certainly could use the expansion draft protection slot that he's blocking with his NMC.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019

A chance? Like 60% of a season on the top line? He had his chance and the burden of proof is on him, not those who think his contract is a pile of shit.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
My only real criticisms:

As the years go on, I wonder how hesitant the Leafs are in selling someone. It’s clear they need defense badly, and it’s clear they’re not going to get what they need with what they’re offering. Their offense would still be fine, and surely Dubas is feeling some heat from above.

I don’t think Nylander is necessarily off limits this summer. A first round exit this year (which is looking likely) might force them to change something up.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Wasn't the M.O. on him was the low mileage thus he wasn't the "typical" 30+yro player? Now you're telling us that the mileage is wearing him down and we need him to get healthy.

Guess what... Zach Parise has 10x the mileage and has had 10x the injury issues and he's still putting up 30+ goal seasons.

Sorry... you can't just keep rolling out excuses to point fingers at everyone and everything besides Zucc... when Zucc has been his own worst enemy this season.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
The problem with Zuccarello is that he's shooting 4% above his career S% and we're still disappointed in his production. He hasn't meshed with anyone on this team and having a 32 year old (33 at the start of next season) at $6M for another 4 seasons is disheartening.

Nobody here wants him to fail, but he hasn't shown anything that makes us optimistic about his future. The $6M that is allocated to him could be much better spent and we certainly could use the expansion draft protection slot that he's blocking with his NMC.

First of all, this expansion draft protection is something management was of course fully aware of when they signed him, it's part of the plan.

I agree that Zuccarello should shoot more, and he has a very good shot. But he has a tendency to make things more complicated than they have to be, because of his desire to help his linemates score. No doubt.

But I would disagree if you say he doesn't fit. Right now he has a mentor role for Galchenyuk, who's playing better and better. Gally could turn into a decent center.

Zuccarello himself has taken a more passive role on the ice because of his injury, playing 12-13 mins a game. This is in agreement with the coaching- and medical staff. He's saving himself for the playoffs (if they make it). Zuccarello has a great playoff history, and he was on fire last year for the Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad