Minnesota Wild General Discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Montreal has a WAY different history than MN, and Saku ended his years with another team. MTL has had 44 HOF'ers, the Wild, none.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I’m not familiar with the NHL salary cap, but is there anyway the Wild can get out from of some of the terrible contracts on the team? How does releasing players work in the NHL? Would trading say Dumba with one of the players below for a little less in return be a possibility?

Zuccarelo
Parise
Rask
Dubnyk

Contracts are guaranteed. Can only trade or buy out.

Reactions: Wildfan82

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Montreal has a WAY different history than MN, and Saku ended his years with another team. MTL has had 44 HOF'ers, the Wild, none.

Yeah because the Canadiens have been around for 100 years. If you start retiring players like Koivu, in 100 years you'll only have 13 jersey numbers for 22 players.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think Guerin is going to push hard for Seattle to take on Zuccarello. Zuccarello+Kunin/Greenway+Prospect or something similar.

what a horrific signing by Fenton. We all knew it immediately. Inexcusably bad

Reactions: 57special

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Somebody at some point threw out Zuccarello's numbers when he was playing with Zucker and Staal (respectible top 6 forwards) and they were actually pretty good. Can't remember exactly what, but something in my mind says that it was pacing a little over 60 points. A lot of people don't like that because it leads to thinking that he needs to be "carried" and all that, which is what it is. The guy makes $6 million and not $10 million.

I just don't really know what people expect when his center is a guy that will probably be out of the NHL next year, and 3rd/4th liners. He isn't Fiala.

Reactions: cool blue

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
unfortunately, Zuccarello has a NMC, even if Seattle wanted to go that way.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Zuccarello is becoming Vanek 2.0 and the worst part is that most Wild fans will see that comment as a negative one towards Zuccarello/Vanek

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I’m not familiar with the NHL salary cap, but is there anyway the Wild can get out from of some of the terrible contracts on the team? How does releasing players work in the NHL? Would trading say Dumba with one of the players below for a little less in return be a possibility?

Zuccarelo
Parise
Rask
Dubnyk

You can buyout a player but that does not mean their cap comes off the books. Essentially, if the Wild were to buyout Dubynk (which I think will happen) it works like this. He has 1 year remaining with a base salary of $2.5M and a cap hit of $4.33M. Buyouts take into account the salary owed to the player, not the cap hit although that is affected as well. What happens is we take the amount of salary owed and pay him 2/3rds of that amount over the course of 2x as many years as they have remaining. We would also have a cap hit against him in that 2nd year as well. So in Dubnyk's case, his total buyout amount over 2 years is $1,666,667 and the cap/payment will look like this:

Pre-Buyout
2020-2021: Base Salary = $2.5M & Cap Hit: $4.33M

Post-Buyout
2020-2021: Buyout Cost: $833,333 Cap Hit: $2.66M ($4.33M minus total buyout cost)
2021-2022: Buyout Cost: $833,333 Cap Hit: $833,333

It would save Leipold some cash on this salary but we would eat the cap hit for an extra year and pay him anyways. So you could imagine a buyout of Zuccarello with 4 years left would be quite the buyout.

Capfriendly.com is a great resource to learn about this type of things.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would think that Rask would be more likely to be bought out, but it might be smarter to keep him around for one more (possibly shortened) season, using him as a #4C, then buy his final year out. I might actually prefer him to Galchenyuk.

I also hope that MN doesn't plan to pay Foligno a lot. He seems to be popular with writers, coaches, and players...which is nice, but at the end of the day he is a bottom six player who plays a style of game that is not suited for longevity. We are chock full of veteran players with character, and it still doesn't seem to have won us a damn thing. Seems that you can always pick up a player like he , Hartman, or Winnik. In a flat cap world, maybe even more so.

Reactions: TheeNorthStar

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Since 2012-13, when MN signed Suter and Parise, we have an overall playoff record of 18-30. We have not won a playoff series since 2015, and have barely been competitive in the past 4 post season series we have played, losing 3-1(play in), 4-1, 4-1, and 4-2. We were at our most competitive in the first half of the decade.

I don't know if we were just not very good, or if we are a bunch of chokers who find ways to lose when it matters.

Depressing

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Since 2012-13, when MN signed Suter and Parise, we have an overall playoff record of 18-30. We have not won a playoff series since 2015, and have barely been competitive in the past 4 post season series we have played, losing 3-1(play in), 4-1, 4-1, and 4-2. We were at our most competitive in the first half of the decade.

I don't know if we were just not very good, or if we are a bunch of chokers who find ways to lose when it matters.

Depressing

Doesn't help that only Parise has scored in those playoffs.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The Islanders’ salary cap situation.

It still might be a bit doable. They have 8.1 million in space, have to re-sign Barzal as their big contract, which will eat up a lot. They have 21 players under contract, if they move Ladd (5.5 million) and Eberle to Minnesota, it might be doable.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It still might be a bit doable. They have 8.1 million in space, have to re-sign Barzal as their big contract, which will eat up a lot. They have 21 players under contract, if they move Ladd (5.5 million) and Eberle to Minnesota, it might be doable.

They also have Pulock and Toews. Barzal will eat up the entire $8.1 and maybe more. Why would they swap Eberle for Parise?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
They also have Pulock and Toews. Barzal will eat up the entire $8.1 and maybe more. Why would they swap Eberle for Parise?

True on Toews and Pulock, forgot about them. I'd think it'd be both Ladd and Eberle. To get out of Ladd's contract, but Eberle is 30 and while he had a nice resurgence this year, he is signed for quite a long time and before they knew the cap would freeze. Either Eberle, Clutterbuck or Cizikas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino