Minnesota Wild General Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Are you a fossil?

(I wrote this from my phone on airplane WiFi. Old man Wabit mustn’t know)

No, I just don't feel the need to be connected at all times. The only times I take my phone with me is for work, trips, and when the wife sends me out shopping. I went like 4 months before I realized we switched from sling to hulu for the tv.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As a part-time Wild follower, if I can put my 2 cents in about Johan Larsson for a moment...

He is actually a decent 3C at this point in time. Buffalo is going to likely lose him this summer as a free agent and not only do they not have a replacement, that will be their second best center coming out of an already center-starved lineup. I know the Sabres have sucked in his time there and that does reflect poorly on him as a player. The grisly arm injury he suffered in Boston in '16-17 had long-term impacts to him and it took about a year before he looked comfortable with the puck on his stick (6 points in the first half, 11 in the 2nd half of that year). Then last year, he inherited O'Reilly's d-zone starts and minutes. He and Girgensons had about 7/8 starts in their own zone every night and yet still managed to break even in fancy stats. They do work, even if drawing a checking matchup, because they (and Okposo) all play pretty basic cycle hockey. They make safe plays, reverse pucks low, and put in the effort to be back to cover both offensively and defensively.

And for giggles, and due to some small impact charts and the old visual thing telling us that the team is getting chances with this combo, he actually works well with Jeff Skinner. It hasn't happened much and the LOG line has really been their best at transitioning pucks from defense to offense, giving them an option to follow on with a scoring trio (often Eichel's line) with possession in the other team's end.

Out of all of the pending free agents on the team, he's the one I would like them to actually extend. He's actually seemed happy for the first time ever in Buffalo, with a steady line that is clearly working, a more balanced role and all that. But he or someone around him did float that he might take an SHL deal over last summer.

Anyway... I'll show myself out. :biglaugh:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Today's practice, new lines. Interesting...GEEK squad dismantled.

Parise-Staal-Zuccarello
Zucker-Kunin-Fiala
Greenway-Ek-Foligno
Donato-Koivu-Hartman

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Regarding the debacle the other night, to me it was a perfect storm: coming off a LONG layoff, Bruins had played the night before (though you could argue they should have been tired, I stand with the opposite POV in that the Wild were more tired from the long sit), then Boston is one of the best teams in the League. It all just came together. Unforgivable, yes, but it is what it was...

The Athletic's Hawks writer giving the X some love

Sabres columnist agrees

I don't get it. Was a season ticket-holder with my pops for years and the traffic jams (one escalator) is unforgivable, IMO.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't get it. Was a season ticket-holder with my pops for years and the traffic jams (one escalator) is unforgivable, IMO.

It was a jam getting out after the game with the parking garages, but getting to the game the only jams for me were road construction. I've been to enough sports events all over to expect it to be slow leaving the parking lots.

CHI is just bad for everything except the Sox (nobody goes to their games).

Going to a Packers or Cubs game it can be a hike to get to/from the stadium from your car, they don't have near enough onsite parking. VGK has nothing for parking, but is in a great location for an away fan staying in a hotel on/near the strip.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It was a jam getting out after the game with the parking garages, but getting to the game the only jams for me were road construction. I've been to enough sports events all over to expect it to be slow leaving the parking lots.

CHI is just bad for everything except the Sox (nobody goes to their games).

Going to a Packers or Cubs game it can be a hike to get to/from the stadium from your car, they don't have near enough onsite parking. VGK has nothing for parking, but is in a great location for an away fan staying in a hotel on/near the strip.

Had to look this up since a buddy of mine lives within walking distance of Comiskey (yes I know). They were 23rd in MLB for attendance last season, but pretty much one large cluster. Care to guess who was 15th? And man, I know this is off-topic, but the Florida teams combined wouldn't make the top 15 - pretty sad state of affairs there.

Back on topic: XL is definitely one of the nicer hockey venues that I've visited. And trading Johan Larsson and all that other stuff was a mistake.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Had to look this up since a buddy of mine lives within walking distance of Comiskey (yes I know). They were 23rd in MLB for attendance last season, but pretty much one large cluster. Care to guess who was 15th? And man, I know this is off-topic, but the Florida teams combined wouldn't make the top 15 - pretty sad state of affairs there.

Back on topic: XL is definitely one of the nicer hockey venues that I've visited. And trading Johan Larsson and all that other stuff was a mistake.
Baseball is so finicky when it comes to attendance. Having a high pay roll does not come close to guaranteeing a full stadium.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I like going to Sox games. Cheap tix, parking is easy to get in and out, and can sit almost anywhere you like.

TB has a really small stadium/seating capacity, the stadium has a cozy feel to it. The Marlins are just a tirefire of a team. A couple years ago the had a couple "home games" in MKE because of a hurricane, those might have been some of their best attendance games of the year.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I like going to Sox games. Cheap tix, parking is easy to get in and out, and can sit almost anywhere you like.

TB has a really small stadium/seating capacity, the stadium has a cozy feel to it. The Marlins are just a tirefire of a team. A couple years ago the had a couple "home games" in MKE because of a hurricane, those might have been some of their best attendance games of the year.
I feel safer leaving Wrigley field at night than I do leaving w/e they call the Sox stadium these days.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Right smack in the middle seems like a very Minnesota place to be, so I'm gonna go with the twins at 15th.

My coworker and I are talking about going to a game later this year. Would be my first NHL game and first time I'll be in that wasteland for more than a 30 minute layover waiting for a connecting flight.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Right smack in the middle seems like a very Minnesota place to be, so I'm gonna go with the twins at 15th.

My coworker and I are talking about going to a game later this year. Would be my first NHL game and first time I'll be in that wasteland for more than a 30 minute layover waiting for a connecting flight.
You've never even been to Wisconsin before? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Digitalbooya
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad