Minnesota Wild General Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
A good skating defenseman with questionable offensive upside and no stand-out traits. Yeah I'm not taking Guhle at 11.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You’d take Guhle? I don’t think I’d take him in the 1st. I actually disagree with your last part, too. Last year, Seider, Broberg, and Soderstrom were all taken higher than consensus simply due to lack of quality. defensemen available. This year is even worse. Teams will reach in Defensman due to need, I wouldn’t be surprised if 4 or 5 go top 15, but there are maybe 2 defenseman I’d take top 15.

Watch him more then. He has a lot of Brodin aspects to his game. He's the high end skating, puck moving, good gap control/positioning d-man that teams are looking for. He just happens to be 6'2" and not 5'9".

Going higher than expected is pretty much the definition of being under-rated. The consensus gets caught up in points too much (especially with CHL players), and not many d-men can put up eyepopping numbers. Wings are the least important and easiest position to be filled on a roster (unless you're EDM). It's why centers and d-men jump over them on draft day every year.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Just realized; when was the last time Minnesota actually traded a prospect? Johan Larsson?

Tuch (as said before), wasn't the goalie Hackett a higher end prospect than Larsson at the time?

On the flip side of that MN hasn't had many high end prospects to trade to begin with.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Watch him more then. He has a lot of Brodin aspects to his game. He's the high end skating, puck moving, good gap control/positioning d-man that teams are looking for. He just happens to be 6'2" and not 5'9".

Going higher than expected is pretty much the definition of being under-rated. The consensus gets caught up in points too much (especially with CHL players), and not many d-men can put up eyepopping numbers. Wings are the least important and easiest position to be filled on a roster (unless you're EDM). It's why centers and d-men jump over them on draft day every year.

I would rather aim for someone with higher upside at 11 than a potential middle pairing defenseman.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I would rather aim for someone with higher upside at 11 than a potential middle pairing defenseman.
There aren’t any players like that. Middle-six wingers, 3/4D. Have your pick. Try again next year ;)

Reactions: AKL

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005

To bad that doesnt seem to be the case with Filip Johansson

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Tuch (as said before), wasn't the goalie Hackett a higher end prospect than Larsson at the time?

On the flip side of that MN hasn't had many high end prospects to trade to begin with.
Hackett and Larsson were traded in the same deal.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I know, I just forget who was ranked as the higher prospect at the time.
I know we had Larsson ranked pretty high, but we also like what we saw with Hackett. I think they were pretty even overall... both ultimately amounted to nothing much, so it's not such a big deal that both were traded. I thought it was a decent deal at the time, and in hindsight, we ended up clear winners from the deal I think.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I know, I just forget who was ranked as the higher prospect at the time.

I remember that there were many among us that hated the idea of moving Larsson for Pominville. To some, Larsson was the next coming of Mikko.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I thought it was a decent deal at the time, and in hindsight, we ended up clear winners from the deal I think.

Neither Buffalo nor Minnesota really won that trade. Pominville was decent, but the optics on everything was pretty bad.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I know we had Larsson ranked pretty high, but we also like what we saw with Hackett. I think they were pretty even overall... both ultimately amounted to nothing much, so it's not such a big deal that both were traded. I thought it was a decent deal at the time, and in hindsight, we ended up clear winners from the deal I think.

That was the first Pommer trade: Pommer (rental+1) + 4th for Heckett (nothing) + Larsson (4C) + 1st (Zadorov)+2nd (nothing). In hindsight it probably came out pretty fair. Pommer had 4g/5a in 10 games and a 30g/30a season (and a good Playoffs) from that part of the deal.

*Edit: Zadorov was part of the ROR deal that brought him to BUF, then BUF later traded ROR to STL. So can we say the the Blues won the trade?

Reactions: TaLoN

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Are the Wild even practicing this week? Or do the bye weeks mean "no team activities"?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Nothing team-related. I think most players run off to the tropics.

That's what I thought. I wonder how much conditioning they will lose taking basically a full week and a half off? I wouldn't be surprised if they lose their first few games when they come back.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
That's what I thought. I wonder how much conditioning they will lose taking basically a full week and a half off? I wouldn't be surprised if they lose their first few games when they come back.
I saw Parise working out today. On another note, Fiala is somewhere tropical trying to get his body fat to the 25%+ echelon.

Reactions: Nsjohnson and AKL

Wabit

May 23, 2016

They get Bos the first game, who will be in the 2nd game of a Jets/Wild back-to-back, and also coming off their bye week. Then a Chi game 3 days later and the Hawks have been on the same schedule as MN.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I used to get the impression that J. Larsson was ranked higher than his actual skill set. His scouting reports always seemed to read pretty 'meh' unless you consider grit a skill. Could probably pencil Gillies in here too.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I used to get the impression that J. Larsson was ranked higher than his actual skill set. His scouting reports always seemed to read pretty 'meh' unless you consider grit a skill. Could probably pencil Gillies in here too.

He had a pretty good 19 year old season in the SHL (36 in 49) and then pretty good 20 year old rookie AHL season (37 in 62) before he got traded.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
If IIRC Larsson was considered a clone of Mikko defensively but more of a middle sixer offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad