Minnesota Wild General Discussion VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’d rather go after Kessel and let one of Coyle/Greenway/Ek/Kunin have an extended crack at 3C. Carter feels like a disaster, and unlike Staal we would have to give up assets to get him. Hard no for me, even if he would be a decent fit on paper for a year or two.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I've always liked Carter, but I wonder if that's because it feels like he always kills us. If he was brought on he'd instantly have one of the best shots on the team.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I’d rather go after Kessel and let one of Coyle/Greenway/Ek/Kunin have an extended crack at 3C. Carter feels like a disaster, and unlike Staal we would have to give up assets to get him. Hard no for me, even if he would be a decent fit on paper for a year or two.
Kessel would cost twice as much and you still wouldn't have a 3C.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Kessel would cost twice as much and you still wouldn't have a 3C.
He’s also twice as good a fit and almost had 100 pts last year, and his game figures to age well. I mentioned above we have 3C options. You really wanna roll with three Cs in their Mid 30s.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
He’s also twice as good a fit and almost had 100 pts last year, and his game figures to age well. I mentioned above we have 3C options. You really wanna roll with three Cs in their Mid 30s.

He also plays with one of the best players in the world, and is on a powerplay with two of the best players in the world. Not all players are in the same position when it comes to getting points.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The Wild need a center. Not another winger. It's pretty simple really.

Reactions: Olcoach

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Locked up for the same time length, Carter is 1.6M cheaper, Carter can play center. Even if he is another 30+ guy, he addresses our needs better. Probably costs less to acquire, and gives us more versatility. Allows Ek to play in the AHL where he belongs, and in 3 years we’ll still be no worse off than we are now. Just gives us better center depth for those 3 years.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Only way Kessel makes any sense is if it's for Nino + Coyle straight up and if the Pens are just looking to broaden their depth.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
My main beef with Kessel is that you're probably not going to get the same production here that he's giving in Pitt. Plus, you're likely going to play him with Granlund and that means you're most likely cutting Zucker's production as well.

With a center if Carter's quality, you have 3 different line options to try and find a fit.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
My main beef with Kessel is that you're probably not going to get the same production here that he's giving in Pitt. Plus, you're likely going to play him with Granlund and that means you're most likely cutting Zucker's production as well.

With a center if Carter's quality, you have 3 different line options to try and find a fit.

i like the idea of what carter can bring to us just not his age but with the way hockey is trending at 30 (?) youd think he has 3 or 4 years left of good maybe not great hockey.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
i like the idea of what carter can bring to us just not his age but with the way hockey is trending at 30 (?) youd think he has 3 or 4 years left of good maybe not great hockey.
His age is why you can get a 30 goal center without gutting your future

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think having Staal, Carter, Koivu down the middle sounds great but in reality we would be too slow. Kessel is a way better fit. He also looks more likely to age well. We have plenty of C options in Greenway/Kunin/EK/Coyle. Also, while I agree we need a C, last thing we need is another C from the 03 draft. I think Kessel makes us a better team. I would play him with Koivu and Parise and let the 1st and 3rd lines stay the same.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think having Staal, Carter, Koivu down the middle sounds great but in reality we would be too slow. Kessel is a way better fit. He also looks more likely to age well. We have plenty of C options in Greenway/Kunin/EK/Coyle. Also, while I agree we need a C, last thing we need is another C from the 03 draft. I think Kessel makes us a better team. I would play him with Koivu and Parise and let the 1st and 3rd lines stay the same.

I don't think Kessel would be a good fit here. The Wild just don't have the top end talent for him to play with. Kessel is a force on the PP, but some of that has to do with the talent around him. The 3 seasons prior to last year he was a ~40p player at even strength; which is nice, but would we give up more than that in return? At least he's good in the Playoffs; unlike some on MN's roster.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Still want to argue that a winger is a bigger need than center?

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I remember there's been some discussions on drafting and all the picks traded and how has that impacted things and all that (mostly Fletcher related discussions), and there was an interesting post over on the Canucks side about that:

We've fallen and we can't get up. 18/19 MGMT thread VI.

It's Canucks specific but useful read if you're interested about how the draft works. The takeaway regarding Minnesota is that from 2014 to 2018, the Wild had the third lowest expected value in the league from drafting, only ahead of Pittsburgh and Washington. It's because of a combination of having good teams and making the playoffs every season (lower picks) and trades (not having as many picks).

You probably guessed this, but the interesting part is what exactly this means. It means the Wild are expected to get 5.82 successful picks from those 5 drafts. The "success" here is someone who plays 250+ games in NHL. Arizona had the highest expected value from these years; they were expected to get 10.25 successful picks. The closest competition for Minnesota is Washington (5.45) and Nashville (6.33).

Looking at those drafts, it seems that Tuch, JEE and Greenway are pretty much locks to get 250 games. So they need 3 more to hit the baseline average result. That would happen with Kaprizov, Kunin and Kahkonen, but of course these players are far from certain to get there.

Reactions: FVM

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Son of a #@$%!

Best case scenario is 3-4 weeks?!!

You'd think that pretty much forces Fenton to do something. Can't just sit still with Koivu out for a month when we're already out of the playoffs at this point in time.
Wonder what the move will be.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Russo says he's hearing a lot of traffic on both Coyle and Nino... and there is plenty of interest across the league.

The good thing about there being plenty of interest, means we shouldn't get short changed too badly. Demand helps price. Not that I think we would get full value compared to what we thought we had in these guys a couple years ago.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You'd think that pretty much forces Fenton to do something. Can't just sit still with Koivu out for a month when we're already out of the playoffs at this point in time.
Wonder what the move will be.

Cullen from Pit... :sarcasm:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Russo says he's hearing a lot of traffic on both Coyle and Nino... and there is plenty of interest across the league.

The good thing about there being plenty of interest, means we shouldn't get short changed too badly. Demand helps price. Not that I think we would get full value compared to what we thought we had in these guys a couple years ago.

With demand being what it sounds like, I don’t think the value will be so bad. These guys are still relatively young and really only one (and a half, I guess) seasons removed from great years. Plenty of people will be thinking they can find that level of production again with better minutes/linemates, and I would hope Fenton is trying to hammer that point home as well.

I honestly don’t know what fair value would be for those guys, but it’s higher than what HF thinks their value is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad