Minnesota Wild General Discussion VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think that this club has shown me enough dominance for me to think of them as Cup contenders. Right now, they are merely...competent.

Brodin and Spurgeon, after a clumsy initial "get to know you" period, are starting to look really good. Suter and Dumba are scoring points, but making as lot of mistakes. Still good, though.

If Nino and Coyle kick it into gear, and everyone else keeps doing what they are doing, then...maybe.

I like what i see with Greenway.

I'm an Ek guy, but I think he needs a bit of time down in the AHL to get his game back, or at least figure out what his game is. He's starting to make mistakes defensively, which is an indicator or something...maybe just bad luck, but maybe he is pressing too much, or doing whatever players do when they play like crap, even though they are trying.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I don't think that this club has shown me enough dominance for me to think of them as Cup contenders. Right now, they are merely...competent.

Brodin and Spurgeon, after a clumsy initial "get to know you" period, are starting to look really good. Suter and Dumba are scoring points, but making as lot of mistakes. Still good, though.

If Nino and Coyle kick it into gear, and everyone else keeps doing what they are doing, then...maybe.

I'm an Ek guy, but I think he needs a bit of time down in the AHL to get his game back, or at least figure out what his game is. He's starting to make mistakes defensively, which is an indicator or something...maybe just bad luck, but maybe he is pressing too much, or doing whatever players do when they play like crap, even though they are trying.

Ek needs Iowa more than Iowa needs him. put him down and bring Kunin up.

Reactions: THE JAM

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

They are definetly more than competant.

They are a very very good team, and as the below tweets kind of show, they are getting the results expected based on their play.

The outstanding question is, does their system of controlling the quality of shots work in the playoffs.

It didnt vs the Blues two years ago, and we were to injured to know how succesful it would have been against the Jets.

Just a bit tbd, but healthy this is a 105+ point team.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
20 games in. Coyle is on pace for 12 goals, Nino 8(while playing PP and top 6 minutes). No injuries that I am aware of.

Disappointing. You'd think that they could outscore Jonas Brodin.

Reactions: nstarjim

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
At least they've been getting some assists. And both have showed good jump in the last few games and had chances. Wild are top 10 in goals scored so it's not really a concern.

In other news, I'm fairly confident saying that Matt Hendricks is the worst player to wear an NHL jersey this season. Embarrassing the way he trundles around there.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
After the crap years they had last year, can't believe that anyone is giving Coyle and Nino a pass. They aren't kids any more. Showing jump...screw that, put the puck in the net. Coyle has a bit of an excuse because he is playing with lesser talent.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
After the crap years they had last year, can't believe that anyone is giving Coyle and Nino a pass. They aren't kids any more. Showing jump...screw that, put the puck in the net. Coyle has a bit of an excuse because he is playing with lesser talent.
Coyle still has no excuse imo, look at all the pp time he is getting.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So 21 games is around the quarter mark of the season, so let's take a look at the "on-pace" stuff:

Team-wise:

47 wins 27 losses 8 OT/SO losses
102 points
254 goals for (3.1 per game)
223 goals against (2.7 per game)

Player-wise:

Granlund: 39 + 35 = 74
Koivu: 16 + 57 = 73
Parise: 36 + 36 = 72
Suter: 12 + 47 = 59
Staal: 24 + 32 = 56
Zucker: 23 + 31 = 54
Dumba: 31 + 20 = 51
Spurgeon: 12 + 27 = 39
Coyle: 12 + 27 = 39
Nino: 8 + 31 = 39
Fehr: 8 + 20 = 28
Brodin: 12 + 12 = 24
Greenway: 8 + 16 = 24
Foligno: 4 + 12 = 16
Brown: 4 + 9 = 13
Seeler: 4 + 8 = 12
Eriksson Ek: 5 + 5 = 10
Pateryn: 0 + 0 = 0

Doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know (Granlund, Koivu and Parise have been the best forwards; Coyle, Nino, Greenway and Eriksson Ek need to pick it the f*** up).

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Lost 4 of the last 5 games. To Chi, OTT, ARI, BUF. IMO, we should have won at least 3 of those. This season seems to be shaping of more of the same. Good, but not good enough.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I'm really curious to see how they play their next two games.

There is a lot of veteran pride on this team. They are feeling the heat of embarrassment after this last one.

Dumba and Brodin were so bad. I think it's an anomaly, especially on Brodin's part. Maybe Dumba is worse than we know. I don't know.

The 3rd period may have just been a simple lack of trying melt down. Hopefully we don't see it again, it's unacceptable.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm really curious to see how they play their next two games.

There is a lot of veteran pride on this team. They are feeling the heat of embarrassment after this last one.

Dumba and Brodin were so bad. I think it's an anomaly, especially on Brodin's part. Maybe Dumba is worse than we know. I don't know.

The 3rd period may have just been a simple lack of trying melt down. Hopefully we don't see it again, it's unacceptable.
The third period seemed like a confluence of a.) several skaters not playing well, especially but by no means only Brodin/Dumba, b.) Dubnyk letting in some real stinkers and c.) Boudreau making an ill-conceived challenge on the 2nd (I think?) goal. And credit to the Coyotes: if they're good at anything it's killing penalties, and they played the 3rd like a 20 minute PK.

I'll write a. and b. off as a combination of injury and illness for now, but Dubnyk's play lately does worry me a little. Goalie's have their ups and downs like any other player, but I hope the "up" returns sooner rather than later.

It's also a little concerning that I'm glad the next game is on the road.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Lost 4 of the last 5 games. To Chi, OTT, ARI, BUF. IMO, we should have won at least 3 of those. This season seems to be shaping of more of the same. Good, but not good enough.

BUF is also riding a 10 game win streak and are not the same as years past. ARI is not as bad as their record indicates they have a good young team that just could not bury chances and has poor goaltending.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
OOPs, sorry for the OTT misinfo.

I thought we were the better team than BUFF, and it wasn't really close. Their goalie was excellent, though.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Buffalo's streak thing makes it look a little different, but the fact is that we had a 2 goal lead at home, including a 1 goal lead in the 3rd period, and couldn't close. Pretty inexcusable to not at least get a point.

Last night, there is zero excuse for what happened; giving up goals is one thing, and barely putting anything at their net in the 3rd is another. Both obviously had a hand in the outcome.

Chicago, IDK, road games in the division are never "gimme's", but with the way that Chicago has been shellacked recently, but it was also one of the situations where we had 1 goal on ~40 shots, so it seemed like an anomaly at the time.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
big picture we have done way better than i expected this year however IF doobs doesnt start playing better this year will turn out as i predicted. playoff miss.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
-Suter is 9th among D scoring, Dumba 10th, and Spurgeon 19th.

- Granlund is 35th among forwards, followed by Parise at 49th, with Koivu and Staal, the next Wild forwards, further down the list.

Pretty indicative of the talent imbalance on our team, IMO. What's scary is that 3 of the 4 forwards are all well into their 30's. Granlund aside, the younger (I won't say young) forwards simply aren't stepping up and producing, and (Kaprizov being a possible exception)I don't see any significant scoring talent amongst the younger guys or prospects.

Reactions: DumbaTrain

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Wild Pace Stats Per 82 games (25 games in or so)
Forwards

Mikael Granlund - 36g - 40 ast (76 points)
Zach Parise - 41g - 34 ast (75 points)
Mikko Koivu - 14g - 58 ast (72 points)
Eric Staal - 31g - 31 ast (62 points)
Jason Zucker - 23g - 30 ast (53 points)
Nino Niederreiter - 10g - 33 ast (43 points)
Charlie Coyle - 13g - 27 ast (40 points)
Eric Fehr - 14g - 16 ast (30 points)
Jordan Greenway - 10g - 17 ast (27 points)
Eriksson Ek - 5g - 14 ast (19 points)

Defense

Matt Dumba - 33g - 27 ast (60 points)
Ryan Suter - 10g - 52 ast (62 points)
Jared Spurgeon - 10g - 36 ast (46 ast)
Jonas Brodin - 10g - 13 ast (23 pts)

Granlund
Koivu
Parise
Staal
Fehr
Dumba
Suter

Neutral

Zucker
Spurgeon
Brodin

Negatives - Want More
Coyle
Niederreiter
Greenway
Eriksson Ek

Basic take. The Wild have had a good start to the season. Lots to be positive about from contributions from Granlund, Koivu, Parise, Staal, and Dumba especially.

The Wild are getting a ton of production from there defense which is great. I think they can get more from Zucker/Coyle/Niederreiter/Greenway especially and maybe Eriksson Ek.
To me this suggests actually that the Wild can continue to play at the level they have been as maybe some bounces start to go against them, but secondary players start to add more production.

Bonus:

Fun facts - Granlund's last 183 games play:
58g - 102 ast (160 points) +44

Per 82 games:
26g - 46 ast - 72 points +20

Matt Dumba's last 107 games:
24g - 44 ast - 68 points

Per 82:
19g - 34 ast - 53 points

Matt Dumba's last 183 games:
35g - 67 ast - 102 points +28

Per 82:
16g - 30 ast - 46 asts +13

Jason Zucker's last 186 games:
62 g - 55 ast - 117 points +47

Per 82 games:
27g - 25 ast - 52 points +21

Jason Zucker's last 107 games:
40g - 40 ast - 80 points
Per 82 games:
31g - 31 ast - 62 points

Reactions: FVM

Cluttered

Jul 16, 2012
Saskatoon, SK
Hey everyone, I just moved to Calgary for school and my first chance to see the Wild play the Flames is this Thursday. I wanted to buy myself something special as a reward for finishing my final exams so I got a behind the bench ticket. I know that most people HATE sitting behind the bench because of the obstructed views, but I wanted an experience that I couldn't get from home. Besides, I'm not the best at tracking the puck when I sit further back anyways. Still, I'm a little nervous about what to expect sitting that close, I don't want to have a bad time. I'm also nervous about being a visiting fan (Had negative experiences in the past) and figured that sitting right behind the Wild bench might make it more likely that I'll be sitting next to another fan. Does anyone have any experience sitting behind the bench at an away game? Any other Wild fans in Calgary going to the game?
I don't have data on my phone so I can't give life updates, but I'll try to listen in on some dialogue and report back afterwards!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Hey everyone, I just moved to Calgary for school and my first chance to see the Wild play the Flames is this Thursday. I wanted to buy myself something special as a reward for finishing my final exams so I got a behind the bench ticket. I know that most people HATE sitting behind the bench because of the obstructed views, but I wanted an experience that I couldn't get from home. Besides, I'm not the best at tracking the puck when I sit further back anyways. Still, I'm a little nervous about what to expect sitting that close, I don't want to have a bad time. I'm also nervous about being a visiting fan (Had negative experiences in the past) and figured that sitting right behind the Wild bench might make it more likely that I'll be sitting next to another fan. Does anyone have any experience sitting behind the bench at an away game? Any other Wild fans in Calgary going to the game?
I don't have data on my phone so I can't give life updates, but I'll try to listen in on some dialogue and report back afterwards!

The only experience I've had behind the bench seat is at the Big-10 tournament a few years ago at the X. I didn't like them, but I was directly behind the coach who was standing the whole time. It was an experience though, and it was worth it. I really felt the energy on the bench, and heard some things that can't be repeated without censoring on here. ;)

CGY shouldn't be too bad for a visiting Wild fan. There isn't really much bad blood between the two teams, other than breaking Johnny Hockey's hand.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Wild Pace Stats Per 82 games (25 games in or so)
Forwards

Mikael Granlund - 36g - 40 ast (76 points)
Zach Parise - 41g - 34 ast (75 points)
Mikko Koivu - 14g - 58 ast (72 points)
Eric Staal - 31g - 31 ast (62 points)
Jason Zucker - 23g - 30 ast (53 points)
Nino Niederreiter - 10g - 33 ast (43 points)
Charlie Coyle - 13g - 27 ast (40 points)
Eric Fehr - 14g - 16 ast (30 points)
Jordan Greenway - 10g - 17 ast (27 points)
Eriksson Ek - 5g - 14 ast (19 points)

Defense

Matt Dumba - 33g - 27 ast (60 points)
Ryan Suter - 10g - 52 ast (62 points)
Jared Spurgeon - 10g - 36 ast (46 ast)
Jonas Brodin - 10g - 13 ast (23 pts)

Granlund
Koivu
Parise
Staal
Fehr
Dumba
Suter

Neutral

Zucker
Spurgeon
Brodin

Negatives - Want More
Coyle
Niederreiter
Greenway
Eriksson Ek

Basic take. The Wild have had a good start to the season. Lots to be positive about from contributions from Granlund, Koivu, Parise, Staal, and Dumba especially.

The Wild are getting a ton of production from there defense which is great. I think they can get more from Zucker/Coyle/Niederreiter/Greenway especially and maybe Eriksson Ek.
To me this suggests actually that the Wild can continue to play at the level they have been as maybe some bounces start to go against them, but secondary players start to add more production.

Bonus:

Fun facts - Granlund's last 183 games play:
58g - 102 ast (160 points) +44

Per 82 games:
26g - 46 ast - 72 points +20

Matt Dumba's last 107 games:
24g - 44 ast - 68 points

Per 82:
19g - 34 ast - 53 points

Matt Dumba's last 183 games:
35g - 67 ast - 102 points +28

Per 82: