Minnesota Wild General Discussion VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So, for those that really disapproved of the Pateryn signing... how do you feel about it now?

I don't recall if I disapproved of that signing as much as others (too lazy to look). I don't think it's been bad, but for that much money I'll wait for full judgement to see how he fills in for Spurgeon's yearly injury.

Fehr has impressed me so far this year. Hendricks and Brown on the other hand... :badidea:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sort of better, but still guarded.
This. Thought Murphy could have played his minutes and saved us a bit of cap, should we need to make a move later in the year. It's not like Pateryn has been brilliant, and he is not all that physical. But I also thought that he signed for 2.75M, not 2.25...makes it easier to take, for me.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I don't recall if I disapproved of that signing as much as others (too lazy to look). I don't think it's been bad, but for that much money I'll wait for full judgement to see how he fills in for Spurgeon's yearly injury.

Fehr has impressed me so far this year. Hendricks and Brown on the other hand... :badidea:

Fine with brown. Hendricks I could probably do without.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
They still don't always pass the eye test but can't complain about the results. Love the way Granlund has developed as a player. Could take a run at 80 points this year the way he is going.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
So, for those that really disapproved of the Pateryn signing... how do you feel about it now?
I liked the pickup but hated the contract. Too much for a pure 3rd pair guy, 3 years when you don't know how he'll fit in (Quincey anyone?) and some depth already in the system with Prosser, Murphy, and Belpedio. Now I have no issues. Maybe it's a bit more than they needed to pay to get him but his play along with Seeler has been worth every bit.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I said it at the time and I'll say it again: if you think of Seeler-Pateryn as making a combined $3m for 3 years, the contract is excellent. The disparity in contracts kind of stinks for Seeler because he's been about the same caliber of player, but that's just how the RFA/UFA dance works.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
$3m is a little expensive for a bottom pair, it's not outrageous. I can't think of any teams (quick take) that wouldn't trade their bottom pair for the Wild's bottom pair in a straight swap. There's probably a few that would take Seeler/Pateryn over their current (when healthy) 2nd pair. The depth in MN and in Iowa is nice to have after how last season ended with the d-corps injuries, and now looking at Dallas and their d-corps injuries this year. I'm glad to have this safety blanket.

The same goes for Foligno/Fehr on the 4th line (not a fan of Brown/Hendricks). A $4m-$5m, 4th line is expensive but again not outrageous. They can hold their own against most lines other teams have, ship in a few points, and play solid PK minutes. Not having Koivu and Granny lead the FWDs in PK ToI/game is strange (in a good way).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
$3m is a little expensive for a bottom pair, it's not outrageous. I can't think of any teams (quick take) that wouldn't trade their bottom pair for the Wild's bottom pair in a straight swap. There's probably a few that would take Seeler/Pateryn over their current (when healthy) 2nd pair. The depth in MN and in Iowa is nice to have after how last season ended with the d-corps injuries, and now looking at Dallas and their d-corps injuries this year. I'm glad to have this safety blanket.

The same goes for Foligno/Fehr on the 4th line (not a fan of Brown/Hendricks). A $4m-$5m, 4th line is expensive but again not outrageous. They can hold their own against most lines other teams have, ship in a few points, and play solid PK minutes. Not having Koivu and Granny lead the FWDs in PK ToI/game is strange (in a good way).
I think the depth is going to be an important part of whatever success we have this year. Failing a stroke of luck that lands us a game-breaking forward, we're going to have to score by committee. Not having to shelter the bottom-6 and 3rd pairing goes a long way toward facilitating that, especially over the course of a season.

It'd be nice to have to spend $9m-$10m on a superstar forward but, failing that, investing cap space in good depth should pay dividends this year.

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Depth is the major difference from last year.

Spurgeon is on the 2nd pairing.
Seeler-Pateryn is light years more reliable than Olofsson/Reilly-Quincy at the start of last year (yuck).
Coyle is now fixed on the 3rd line (for good probably).
Foligno understands the system and his role much better this year.
Fehr is a much needed quality defensive player on the 4th line.
Greenway adds some nice elements.
JEE has a year under his belt.
Brown is....better suited....for the spot...than other RHS wingers we had before? Yes, yes. That counts as an upgrade of some kind.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Depth is the major difference from last year.

Spurgeon is on the 2nd pairing.
Seeler-Pateryn is light years more reliable than Olofsson/Reilly-Quincy at the start of last year (yuck).
Coyle is now fixed on the 3rd line (for good probably).
Foligno understands the system and his role much better this year.
Fehr is a much needed quality defensive player on the 4th line.
Greenway adds some nice elements.
JEE has a year under his belt.
Brown is....better suited....for the spot...than other RHS wingers we had before? Yes, yes. That counts as an upgrade of some kind.
I love that Eriksson-Ek's entry is basically that he's a year older :laugh:

I do have some hope that Boudreau's conversation with him will have him looking to make things happen a little more. If he can keep building off these last few games I might have to mothball the JEE jokes.

Joel Eriksson-eurEka

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I love that Eriksson-Ek's entry is basically that he's a year older :laugh:

I do have some hope that Boudreau's conversation with him will have him looking to make things happen a little more. If he can keep building off these last few games I might have to mothball the JEE jokes.

Joel Eriksson-eurEka
Well there is not much to say. Fletcher put him on the team because of his two-way game and expected him to replace Haula. I think that was a mistake. He should have been the #1 center in Iowa, because his offensive game does need work.

But he's here now, and at least he is playing better.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Looking back to the start of the season vs now... who would've guessed that most of us would actually be happy with Brown playing every day?

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Well, the Wild's 24 points are 3rd best in the NHL at this point, 1 behind TB and 2 behind Nash. Amazing road trip that saw the Wild dominate a couple teams in a way I haven't seen in a long while, STL and Ana. This team healthy might be a contender.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Looking back to the start of the season vs now... who would've guessed that most of us would actually be happy with Brown playing every day?

Maybe the standards were just lowered after watching the awful starts a few of the higher in the lineup FWDs got off to this year? :dunno:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
cant count on staying hot for 82 games but wow what a different team than the first few games. man i thought we were the oldest & slowest team and now we kinda look like contenders. when your hot your hot! lets get coyle ; nino & JEE rockin next.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
cant count on staying hot for 82 games but wow what a different team than the first few games. man i thought we were the oldest & slowest team and now we kinda look like contenders. when your hot your hot! lets get coyle ; nino & JEE rockin next.

The slow part was mostly due to not being able to complete even a simple pass.

Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
When Parise is healthy it's a whole different world. If we can get Nino scoring we're in business. Staal doesn't look that good, and he's still putting up points. He's sort like a Pominville on steroids.
If Coyle stays stays on the 3rd line I don't expect much scoring, but I love him being the lead dog for the forechecking and physicality of that line. It's not likely, but i could see that line exploding with some offense. Coyle can be near brilliant at times, Greenway is a sneaky good passer, and if Ek ever figure out how to get his shot off they'd do OK. For sure, they should be getting some greasy goals, and be a handful as a checking line. That's a lot of size, reach, and strength.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
When Parise is healthy it's a whole different world. If we can get Nino scoring we're in business. Staal doesn't look that good, and he's still putting up points. He's sort like a Pominville on steroids.
If Coyle stays stays on the 3rd line I don't expect much scoring, but I love him being the lead dog for the forechecking and physicality of that line. It's not likely, but i could see that line exploding with some offense. Coyle can be near brilliant at times, Greenway is a sneaky good passer, and if Ek ever figure out how to get his shot off they'd do OK. For sure, they should be getting some greasy goals, and be a handful as a checking line. That's a lot of size, reach, and strength.
This line is a growth asset for the team imo - if they get some swagger, the Wild will be hard to play. 3 big dudes with all-around games.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The slow part was mostly due to not being able to complete even a simple pass.
Exactly, that read the case in the playoffs as well.

When you can move the puck quickly in stride, you're paying fast, the defense has trouble reacting.

It wasn't skating that was the problem, it was puck handling.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami

I agree with your assessment. It's the old 'firing on all cylinders' analogy. Basically, if guys can just play to their base, and some towards their ceiling, this club is GOOD.

If we have guys playing below their floor, and the rest playing at their floor or just above, the club is frankly bad.

If the team skates well for a big older club, and has a good pass and therefore good transition game, a club with the defensive acumen that we have will win more games than we lose by quite a bit.

If we stay healthy and do this we could even almost challenge for the division and do some damage in the playoffs for once.

This is the ideal. This team has not shown it can keep it up so I won't hold my breath but I will hope for the best.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I"m kinda shocked we haven't gotten a main board jinx thread yet. Just staying under the radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad