Minnesota Wild General Discussion VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose312

May 15, 2015

He wasn't a show stopper or anything, but I'd rather send Brown through waivers.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I suppose not, and if Nino goes goalless for the next 2 years, it's a pretty easy decision. If he bounces back, and Zucker does what he did last year, and Brodin is really good, and Dumba is really good, and we don't have a readily available replacement for Spurgeon, and Staal is still going strong, etc... then it's still something where we're probably going to get dinged worse than a lot of teams in the league.

Foligno and Pateryn will be the best players MN has to expose currently. I also think the roster will get a decent turnover between now and the expansion draft.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Foligno and Pateryn will be the best players MN has to expose currently. I also think the roster will get a decent turnover between now and the expansion draft.

And if that remains true in 2020, then I guess it doesn't matter because that means our team in a pretty bad place.

Reactions: DumbaTrain

Wabit

May 23, 2016

He wasn't a show stopper or anything, but I'd rather send Brown through waivers.

Let Read (wears an "A") play a leadership role in Iowa, it's what he was signed for. Brown would add nothing to the Iowa team except a Fortnite ringer. I would like to see one of the kids get a call-up and let Brown make popcorn.

Brown was signed to a 2 year 1-way deal; he's not getting sent down until he proves to GMPF that he's a wasted roster spot. GM's don't tend to admit mistakes in thier player choices very easily. So we're basically stuck with him for at least the near term.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I thought the 2016-17 season was the maximum, but I'm starting to chance my mind. These old ponies look like they are having fun playing hockey. Turn out it is pretty important part if you are planning to go anywhere.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
And if that remains true in 2020, then I guess it doesn't matter because that means our team in a pretty bad place.

I guess Seeler could be added to that list.

The team could be in a fine place we have a few exempt players, unlike last time; which makes a difference. A quality GM could also have some wink, wink, nudge, nudge deals in place for the guys needing new contracts.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I guess Seeler could be added to that list.

The team could be in a fine place we have a few exempt players, unlike last time; which makes a difference. A quality GM could also have some wink, wink, nudge, nudge deals in place for the guys needing new contracts.

That would be huge.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I thought the 2016-17 season was the maximum, but I'm starting to chance my mind. These old ponies look like they are having fun playing hockey. Turn out it is pretty important part if you are planning to go anywhere.

They don't necessarily look pretty doing it but they are getting nice results. It is weird that when they are "off" like the Vancouver game they are REALLY off. It's fun reading the GDT's from the teams they are playing. Almost apoplectic responses about losing to this boring, old, slow team.....lol.

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
They don't necessarily look pretty doing it but they are getting nice results. It is weird that when they are "off" like the Vancouver game they are REALLY off. It's fun reading the GDT's from the teams they are playing. Almost apoplectic responses about losing to this boring, old, slow team.....lol.

I'm just happy that the team finally look like they enjoy the sport. In the end that is important.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
There are currently two teams in the NHL with more points than the Wild.

Yeah but season is young. Our system is good and very defencive orientated. We can't affort to get guys injured since we lack offensive fire power and depth. Hopefully certain players will stay healthy.

Brown doesn't have much TOI but he has a good hustle and tackling. Actually at Edmonton game he cycled the puck well even though there were like one or two times.

It doesn't hit you over the head, especially in Suter and Brodin's case, but our defense gives us an edge over just about every team out there. This year, even our 3rd pairing looks to be above average.

Yeah and that was our strength last season which is now even better. Hopefully the trend continues and guys can impact on both ends.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
And concerning standings:
A very detailed analysis of schedules and current year results only places us 4th in the league. It hardly seems possible, but it's true.

Defense and Dubnyk.....Stalock has played well also.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
when your hot your hot, when your not your not. no guarantee we stay hot. it is fun when your winning , now i care more about a solid playoff run. (assuming we make the playoffs)

Reactions: thestonedkoala

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brown doesn't have much TOI but he has a good hustle and tackling.

"Good tackling"...:laugh:

Brown doesn't win many pucks along the boards, and doesn't seem to have any puck skills. In other words, he can't maintain a forecheck, and giving him the puck anywhere on the ice is likely to lead to a turnover. Best case scenario is that he dumps the puck in after he gains the Red line.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Brown doesn't win many pucks along the boards, and doesn't seem to have any puck skills. In other words, he can't maintain a forecheck, and giving him the puck anywhere on the ice is likely to lead to a turnover. Best case scenario is that he dumps the puck in after he gains the Red line.

Foligno/Fehr look over and see him and do the Suter double-take when he realizes he's on the ice with Prosser.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
And concerning standings:
A very detailed analysis of schedules and current year results only places us 4th in the league. It hardly seems possible, but it's true.

Defense and Dubnyk.....Stalock has played well also.
This team will not end up 4th overall, unless Coyle and Nino get back to scoring at a 55pt pace, and Parise continues to play well. We just are not a very dominant offensive team, but get things done by being opportunistic. The EDM win was more about EDM's special teams being atrocious, rather than our Special teams being great.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
This team will not end up 4th overall, unless Coyle and Nino get back to scoring at a 55pt pace, and Parise continues to play well. We just are not a very dominant offensive team, but get things done by being opportunistic. The EDM win was more about EDM's special teams being atrocious, rather than our Special teams being great.

No arguments from me on that. I think the qualitative meaning of my post was:
This team's results so far look far better than the team does on the ice. Schedule is NOT the reason for that, at least not yet. But, this may a team which is actually better than it looks - and the defense and goalkeeping are the foundation of that, and always will be.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017

:laugh:
True.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
When was the last time we had 3 defensive pairs that were all pretty static without much rotation/switching out? Feels like it’s been forever. Glad to have solid play on all the pairs.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
When was the last time we had 3 defensive pairs that were all pretty static without much rotation/switching out? Feels like it’s been forever. Glad to have solid play on all the pairs.
I seem to recall Suter-Brodin, Scandella-Spurgeon, Leopold-Dumba as the last set to be somewhat static. Seeler was awesome last night. Good to see him get his first goal and three points.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Brodin and Spurgeon haven't gotten hurt (yet) this year. :skeptic:

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I refuse to make any snap judgements on our defense from last nights game based on some of the other games, but (!), I think if what we witnessed last night from our D core is the new normal with Seeler looking like a true second pairing, we have Playoffs again this year.

Brodin has been GREAT, even showing a strong physical play to his finesse game (I’ve specially kept an eye on him). Knocking guys off the puck, slamming guys into the boards to be pinned, fleet foot, he’s been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad