Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM 6 | Oilers def. Canucks 5-1 (Hoglander) | Anyone…anyone…Canucks?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It's will, not skill or intelligence now.

Someone above said they know the Canucks will lose when they see their powerplay. I think the Canucks will lose if they don't win battles. That includes getting to pucks first and getting the puck cleanly to the next man.

They lost nearly every battle they were in during this game.

While I somewhat agree. The Oilers PK are easily reading the plays and the team lacks personnel that can wire a puck on net from the point. Hughes lacks a hard shot like Bouchard or Makar.

I do also think we need a guy like Guentzel that can play down low on the powerplay. This team seems unable to have any guys that can control the puck down low.

Reactions: mossey3535

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I couldn't watch more than a couple of minutes of this one, so appreciate reading some thoughts from those who suffered through it.

I'll repeat an earlier season take on the Oilers. If they play a proper team game and pay attention to defence, the neutral zone, and bring that fast transition game, they're a handful for any team in the league.
For whatever reason, they generally don't play that way and you see most of the team relying on McDrie to win them games.
Unfortunately for the Canucks, they found that gear in this game and the Canucks will have to bring their absolute A game if they want to get by them in game 7.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Hughes distributes from up there, but they should be opening up shooting lanes for Miller, Boeser, Pettersson and Lindholm ... not taking soft wristers. And the literal only play they have is setting up looks from Miller or Pettersson on the outside half wall, and never get pucks inside.
Yeah I liked the other game when we had Lindholm going up to play 1-2 with Miller and Hughes or having Boeser up top and Hughes on the side wall.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
While I somewhat agree. The Oilers PK are easily reading the plays and the team lacks personnel that can wire a puck on net from the point. Hughes lacks a hard shot like Bouchard or Makar.

I do also think we need a guy like Guentzel that can play down low on the powerplay. This team seems unable to have any guys that can control the puck down low.

The Canucks basically have 2-3 set plays on the PP, and they don't do anything else, nobody has dynamic positions, and they only try to setup Miller coming in off the left-side wall, or a one-timer for Pettersson on the far-right wall. If neither happens Hughes takes a shitty wrist shot from the point.

Teams figured out a long time ago that when you clog up those cross-ice lanes to Miller or Pettersson you just get a lame Hughes wrist shot that does nothing. This was like, well before the all-star break.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The Canucks basically have 2-3 set plays on the PP, and they don't do anything else, nobody has dynamic positions, and they only try to setup Miller coming in off the left-side wall, or a one-timer for Pettersson on the far-right wall. If neither happens Hughes takes a shitty wrist shot from the point.

Zadorov and Hughes at the point. Lindholm down low. Miller in the bumper and Boeser at the left wall.

Pettersson has zero chemistry with Boeser and Miller.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Zadorov and Hughes at the point. Lindholm down low. Miller in the bumper and Boeser at the left wall.

Pettersson has zero chemistry with Boeser and Miller.

They could fix it by being more fluid and having the forwards rotate to open up lanes inside on the slot, but nobody moves because God forbid Miller doesn't get his look on the left wall, or Pettersson doesn't break his stick trying a one-timer from the right circle. Everyone is like glued to their spot except Hughes, it seems beyond them to do anything more dynamic, they are over-reliant on Hughes puck carrying in from the blue line to setup chances.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
It's will, not skill or intelligence now.

Someone above said they know the Canucks will lose when they see their powerplay. I think the Canucks will lose if they don't win battles. That includes getting to pucks first and getting the puck cleanly to the next man.

They lost nearly every battle they were in during this game.
This is how I feel too. In the end skill gets you so far, we've seen undermanned teams topple giants. So many teams in history have made it to the scf that literally on paper have no business being there.

What they all had was tons of heart and determination, mixed with a bit of luck. This team I feel has a collection of players that provide enough skill to match any team, I think all of this year is really them finding the fortitude to keep pushing and giving when nothing is left in the tank. There are a handful of guys on the team I need not name, u can see they are sacrificing everything. If the rest can find that gear, this team would be so hard to play against. Alas, we shall see Monday if the majority of them have that yet or not

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Tocchet should abdicate the PP duties to the Sedins immediately, I literally don't even care if they just institute whatever system they were using in 2011. At least the forwards weren't glued into place in that system.

Reactions: TruKnyte

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
The one hope we have here is that momentum hasn’t shifted for the winner of the previous game for both teams. Each game has been different every time.

I’m so excited a game 7 on home ice it’s been a while fellas!
Be pissed and make game 7 a war to win

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I thought Cole, PDG, Podkolzin and Hoglander had excellent games for what they bring. Unfortunately thats a middle 6er, two 4th liners and a #6 d. Need excellent games from our top forwards and top pair dmen.

Im not one to post "i feel this guy will elevate his game next game cause i feel it" but I believe the pressure will drive who our true leaders are to great levels next game. Who it will be is tough to guess from our top players: Miller, Pettersson, Hughes, Brock Boeser, Lindholm, Garland, Joshua, Zadorov, Hronek....

olafsson

Jun 18, 2017
Stop giving up the first god damn goal, FFS. Just embarrassing the play this team showed in an elimination game. They better figure it out for game 7

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As much as people will lobbying for a goaltending change, you can't go back to DeSmith or even Demko now--it just wouldn't be fair.

Silovs is one of the big reasons they're even here.....so he has to be given the opportunity to close it out. I don't care who was between the pipes for the game tonight......they wouldn't have made any difference.

But regardless of the outcome on Monday, this has been a solid, building year for the Canucks. And a loss will be far more disappointing to Edmonton, that it will be for the Canucks.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
IMG_1214.jpeg

ESPN get it together

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
As much as people will lobbying for a goaltending change, you can't go back to DeSmith or even Demko now--it just wouldn't be fair.

Silovs is one of the big reasons they're even here.....so he has to be given the opportunity to close it out. I don't care who was between the pipes for the game tonight......they wouldn't have made any difference.

But regardless of the outcome on Monday, this has been a solid, building year for the Canucks. And a loss will be far more disappointing to Edmonton, that it will be for the Canucks.

I agree that you go with Silovs in game 7 but "fair" has nothing to do with it.

I don't give a f*** about fair, it's about winning, and he gives us our best chance.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I felt like Hoglander would score today and if he would, we would win.

I also thought that if he didn’t, we were going to lose something like 4-1.

Both happened.

Good first period, and then puke after that. Turned it off halfway through the third. Ugly.

Funny thing is I still don’t know if you can say that we had the worse goalie in this one. Skinner was awful and flopping around. One team just played better in front of the goalie.

Anyways, Silovs has got you this far. Shouldn’t even be a question.

McDavid is batting 50% in this series. Just gotta hope they contain him in game 7

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad