Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Would you rather have Fiala or Faber (and Ohgren)? You can't have them both.

I would take Faber every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Ohgren only sweetens that deal.

They could have just drafted Faber instead of ROR or Marat K and had both on them.

Guerin might be the only GM in history who gets a "free pass" for the first six years of his tenure because of a decision he made at the start.

I need to see what happens with this team after Leipold is gone to see how much Leipold is pulling the strings on competing vs rebuilding.

In a vacuum, not knowing that information, Guerin has done a poor job at managing the NHL team, and his saving grace is hiring a highly touted scout and relinquishing most of his control over that aspect of running a club (exception being when he decided to override that scout). But he could have done a much better job of giving that scout more ammo, instead he chose to try to keep a rickety boat afloat when it was begging to sink.

Disagree with me, I don't care, but he's made too many head scratching decisions to make me believe the good moves he's stumbled into are much more than dumb luck. The prospects are on Brackett. The Faber trade is on Faber being much better than anyone anticipated, including LA, who wouldn't have traded him if they thought he'd become what he has.

Maybe Brackett saves his ass in the long term. Who knows. I'm not counting on it.

GMBG has given the draft guy 6 x 1sts and 7 x 2nds in the span of 4 drafts. He could have traded some rentals I guess: Spurgeon for a 1st, added more 2nds (Foligno, Hartman, Zucc), and some other players would bring mid round picks without touching the under 25 (at the time) players.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
At least Guerin didn't trade a 2nd rounder to move up 3 spots to draft Stramel. There's that.
He'd go off the board even with a top 5 pick.

Speaking of the Top 5, anyone else still having nightmares about how bad Pouliot turned out? Yikes. That was fun.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Speaking of the Top 5, anyone else still having nightmares about how bad Pouliot turned out? Yikes. That was fun.

If memory serves me right, the Pouliot selection was inline with most mock drafts. Obviously, with hindsight, it would've been better to snatch someone like Carey Price or Anze Kopitar instead.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
If memory serves me right, the Pouliot selection was inline with most mock drafts. Obviously, with hindsight, it would've been better to snatch someone like Carey Price or Anze Kopitar instead.
Kopitar with Gabby. What could have been.....

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kopitar with Gabby. What could have been.....
And still having Kopitar today. Hard to say what things would have looked like the last 15 years or so. Would have been fun though.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
We really should have played Gus more the last half the season also. That would have likely either gotten him out of his funk or it would have landed us a better pick.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
We really should have played Gus more the last half the season also. That would have likely either gotten him out of his funk or it would have landed us a better pick.
As a fan, I agree and would do it, but I can understand why a coach wouldn't. It's his job to win games, after all. If he doesn't do his job well enough...

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
both a coach wants wins & sth fans want wins , however they could care less about the future. a gm & an owner should care about both.

1) I'll assume you mean they COULDN'T care less about the future
2) That's just flat out wrong. The longer they have success, the longer they have a job.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
1) I'll assume you mean they COULDN'T care less about the future
2) That's just flat out wrong. The longer they have success, the longer they have a job.
What success did some meaningless wins get us this year? On the contrary it robbed a future that this GM and this coach aren’t likely to be a part of.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He'd go off the board even with a top 5 pick.

Other than the Gillies pick, which was actually still in line with what some draft rankings had, Minnesota really didn't go off the board with any of their first round picks. Oh and Burns, that was a head scratcher at the time.

Pouliot didn't turn out that badly career wise. He carved out a pretty long career compared to others taken in the draft. In terms of GP, he is ranked 24th (still first round), 11th in goals, 23rd in assists and 17th in points. In terms of first rounders, there are only 8 (!) players that were taken that had better point totals than Pouliot in his career, 3 of whom were taken before Minnesota's pick.

IIRC, either Lemaire or Risebrough didn't want Pouliot at center and wanted Demitra. In the off-season, Pouliot had lined up at center and looked good between Demitra and Gaborik, but for whatever the case they wanted Pouliot on wing.

As for the Kopitar pick, I wanted him, but there was a significant amount of unknown as he was Slovenian and no one knew how good he would develop. Yes, he was playing in the SEL, but some were concerned his numbers were inflated. Kopitar was picked around where most had him, lower half of the top 10.

But Gaborik, Koivu, Bouchard, Thelen, Pouliot, Sheppard, Gillies, Cuma were all picked in the range most scouts/analysts had them ranked. Burns was the only off-the-wall pick.

Second round is dicey and then after that it was a shit show.

The biggest issue was that Minnesota has never put prospects in a position to succeed until recently. The difference between DR and Chuck vs Guerin is like night and day. Joel Eriksson-Ek I don't think would have been in the NHL immediately. Kunin either. As much crap as we like to sling with Guerin, at least he is showing some levels of patience and development with the prospects instead of tossing them in off the deep end and going, well shit that didn't work. We gotta just drop them down to the bottom 6 and hope we can get a grinder out of them.

I'd rank the GMs as Guerin > Fenton > DR > Chuck, personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: MuckOG

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Pretty incredible the success Andrew Brunette is having this season, proving himself one of the best coaches in the league after what he did in Florida. Curious why the Wild figured a guy like that had no place in the franchise, after promoting him at one point all the way to AGM.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Pretty incredible the success Andrew Brunette is having this season, proving himself one of the best coaches in the league after what he did in Florida. Curious why the Wild figured a guy like that had no place in the franchise, after promoting him at one point all the way to AGM.
He was an assistant coach and didn't see really good results here (14/15, 15/16) IIRC. In 18-19, he was cleared out with Fenton's group, so he went to Florida. I don't think the timing was ever great on bringing him back.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was criticized on here quite a lot for his handling of the special teams, FLA also chose to let him go, and then there was the drunk golf cart incident. He was not a hot commodity in the coaching world before this year.

I think his success in NSH is a combination of him landing in a good, veteran laden team that had low expectations, and is overachieving. Also, like players, some coaches develop.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
His golf cart incident was a huge selling point for me. He handled it perfectly. I would have given him a job just for that.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I didn't expect this, Hynes is obviously not a Khusnutdinov fan...

Or maybe, just MAYBE, he's giving the kid a break because he didn't exactly do spectacular last game. He was a -3.

But you're probably correct that he doesn't like the kid.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad