Post-Game Talk: Minnesota Wild at New York Rangers 10/27/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Our track record with Quintal on suspensions isn't good, is it? He gave out the Prust 2 games/Carcillo 10 games last year?

wasn't much he could do with the Carcillo suspension. that's pretty automatic depending on the referee's interpretation of the incident.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Does Duke have the best snapshot on the team? I would think he probably does. He has a good quick release and he gets a ton of velocity on it.

Kreider is up there too. Hell of a shot by Duke last night, though.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
on the john moore hit.

first off, dumb play on moores part. similar play to last years hit on weise in the montreal series. haula moves puck before the hit so moore should have slowed up and not targeted the upper body. note i did not say head because it was not the head that took the impact.

the hit was to the upper chest area then continued to the head with the raising of the arm after impact. thats what looked the worst. the arm follow and subsequent head whip by haula looks bad. im not saying moore didnt contact the head/chin after the initial contact with the chest area but the head WAS NOT the impact spot initially. the upper chest was and it was with moores shoulder area. watch the video and this is clear.

the speed of the play and the climate against concussive type hits works against moore here. haula was exposed and vulnerable and moore impacted the "upper body area". the league will act quickly and give him prob. 5 games. his prior 2 game suspension works against him as well.

keep in mind, haula was elbowed by the avs erik johnson mid oct. similar type hit. elbow to the face. haula has taken a beating recently.

bottom line, moore is responsible for his decision. he made a bad one. he will be punished. depending on the angle they view it from, it might only be 3 but could be 7. we will see.

at the same time, this wasnt the clear cut "vicious elbow" that joe was blathering about after the hit. it just wasnt. joe needs to ****.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
on the john moore hit.

first off, dumb play on moores part. similar play to last years hit on weise in the montreal series. haula moves puck before the hit so moore should have slowed up and not targeted the upper body. note i did not say head because it was not the head that took the impact.

the hit was to the upper chest area then continued to the head with the raising of the arm after impact. thats what looked the worst. the arm follow and subsequent head whip by haula looks bad. im not saying moore didnt contact the head/chin after the initial contact with the chest area but the head WAS NOT the impact spot initially. the upper chest was and it was with moores shoulder area. watch the video and this is clear.

the speed of the play and the climate against concussive type hits works against moore here. haula was exposed and vulnerable and moore impacted the "upper body area". the league will act quickly and give him prob. 5 games. his prior 2 game suspension works against him as well.

keep in mind, haula was elbowed by the avs erik johnson mid oct. similar type hit. elbow to the face. haula has taken a beating recently.

bottom line, moore is responsible for his decision. he made a bad one. he will be punished. depending on the angle they view it from, it might only be 3 but could be 7. we will see.

at the same time, this wasnt the clear cut "vicious elbow" that joe was blathering about after the hit. it just wasnt. joe needs to ****.

Pretty spot on. I'd be fine with 3-5 games because he did follow through with his arm and hit him up high but the head didn't appear to be the principal point of contact. Moore has a track record though now and he'll be punished accordingly.

To be fair to Micheletti though, MSG only showed the back angle which looked a hell of a lot worse than the side angle that the Wild broadcast had.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Yup. Inexcusably poor understanding of the rulebook by the referee who issued the match penalty on Kreider's hit. Moore's is more debatable, depending on the ref's interpretation at ice level. Kreider made a bad decision while fighting for a puck. Moore was chasing to get back into the play, and leveled the Wild forward who was defenseless, had his head down, and had already released the puck. Rule 48, through and through.

you don't sustain a concussion as the result of whiplash. Moore made contact with Haula's head. It may not have been the primary point of impact, but it happened. Even if he only hit Haula's head on the follow through, I doubt it'll make much difference, considering all the other factors.

• Defenseless player
  • Somewhat late
  • (At least) some contact with head
  • Concussion
  • Moore's prior history

Five games at a minimum, I'd expect. John ****ing Moore is a perfect player for the NHL to make an example of.

This hit is a good example of a head injury sustained on a perfectly clean hit where the head was not the principal point of contact.

This is a play I think is very similar to Moore's, because it's a repeat offender, and the player had his head down and was defenseless:

The difference is Neil's hit was later, and Boyle's head was more clearly the principal point of contact. If the Neil hit was 2 games, Moore's should not get more than that.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
It's the combination of those factors that makes Moore's hit very easily suspendable. You can't isolate "head injury" and equate the two.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
It's the combination of those factors that makes Moore's hit very easily suspendable. You can't isolate "head injury" and equate the two.

I know, but way too many people are saying injury = dirty hit. It's that generalization that's annoying me, not necessarily the way it applies to this hit. In this particular case, it does like Moore got the head.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Does Duke have the best snapshot on the team? I would think he probably does. He has a good quick release and he gets a ton of velocity on it.

I've said it before, but if it wasn't Duclair or Kreider taking that shot on the tying goal, Kuemper probably would've saved it.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Our track record with Quintal on suspensions isn't good, is it? He gave out the Prust 2 games/Carcillo 10 games last year?

He suspended Moore and Carcillo last season and that's it IIRC.

Which is why this new "goon squad" label the Rangers have is so ****ing funny.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I've said it before, but if it wasn't Duclair or Kreider taking that shot on the tying goal, Kuemper probably would've saved it.

Kreider's snap shot is ridiculous in how hard and fast he gets it off.

Too bad he's not terribly accurate with it unless he's shooting just over the goalies right pad

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

This hit is a good example of a head injury sustained on a perfectly clean hit where the head was not the principal point of contact.

This is a play I think is very similar to Moore's, because it's a repeat offender, and the player had his head down and was defenseless:

The difference is Neil's hit was later, and Boyle's head was more clearly the principal point of contact. If the Neil hit was 2 games, Moore's should not get more than that.

Just shows my ignorance, but I thought Neil walked from that one?

CostaTheCrazyGreek

Apr 30, 2002
www.facebook.com
Nobody's talking about it because the Rangers found a way to win the game, but the Wild got away with almost everything tonight. The officiating, as I said in the game thread, was an absolute clown show. It was almost as if they were letting the Wild get away with everything as retribution for the perceived "dirty" plays by Kreider and Moore (which should have been 2 minute calls at most).

I would not put it past the NHL to give both Kreider and Moore exceptionally long suspensions based on the outcome of the game. I'm loving the comeback win, but I'm also filing another piece of evidence in just how truly awful the Rangers get treated by the officials.

that's why there is a Costa boycott of the NHL (at least financially)

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
He suspended Moore and Carcillo last season and that's it IIRC.

Which is why this new "goon squad" label the Rangers have is so ****ing funny.

Please don't bring any main boards ******** into HFNYR, please.

Main boards HF is literally one of the worst hockey places on the internet.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY

First off, Neil got no games. Secondly, thes hits aren't remotely the same. Neil came from behind and targeted the head, while Moore's check was from the front and targeted the chest! I can't stress this enough, THERE WAS NEVER CONTACT WITH HAULA'S HEAD! It was a text book open ice hit. Players need to keep their head up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad