OT: Minnesota Pro Sports Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Didn't read through the earlier posts, sorry.

If you follow football and/or the draft at all you should know that making such definitive statements about a player who was just drafted is very silly.
I follow football as much as anybody and in particular the Pac 12. I will stand by statement about the pick of Barr being a horrible pick at 9

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I'm pretty sure I have never seen Barr play a down of football in my life (I probably have, just wouldn't have been able to pick him out of a two man lineup at the time), so I have nothing to refute your point.

And you very well could be right, that he will be a bust. But to speak in such absolutes, like you were doing, is over the top.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Actually nobody said they had faith in the pick. Someone scorned me for having an opinion that was opposite of the Zimmers and Spielmans making the pick.

There is a difference. If you don't like my opinion on the pick of Barr then go ahead and tell me why not just simply some sophomoric "I will trust Zimmer over you" nonsense.

When did I say I trust Zimmer over you? I took the stance of no one knows, including you. Why not wait and see? Especially in the NFL draft, extreme reactions in either direction are just stupid. There's no sure thing. Plenty of players expected to be perennial Pro Bowlers have busted and expected busts have turned into Pro Bowlers. Some games translate, some don't. Maybe I just don't like to rile myself up.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
I'm pretty sure I have never seen Barr play a down of football in my life (I probably have, just wouldn't have been able to pick him out of a two man lineup at the time), so I have nothing to refute your point.

And you very well could be right, that he will be a bust. But to speak in such absolutes, like you were doing, is over the top.
Anthony Barr is not worthy of being picked at 9. It is an absolute opinion I have and it isn't over the top. It is an opinion that I feel strongly about based on having watched him play every game for the past two years.

I am sorry if you are offended that I have an absolute opinion but I do. It is a board, opinions are allowed even if they are absolute opinions, If there is a rule against having absolute opinions then please direct me to that rule.

If you have something to refute my absolute opinion then by all means post it and lets debate it, it is a forum after all that should accept opinions even if they be absolute ones and debate.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Actually nobody said they had faith in the pick. Someone scorned me for having an opinion that was opposite of the Zimmers and Spielmans making the pick.

There is a difference. If you don't like my opinion on the pick of Barr then go ahead and tell me why not just simply some sophomoric "I will trust Zimmer over you" nonsense.

This is all quite reminiscent of the Kurtis Gabriel draft pick and the stupid nonsense that came out of that.

I think Barr is a horrible pick at #9 for anybody, don't like the opinion then go ahead and tell me why but leave the "he was picked therefore your opinion is wrong" nonsense.

You said this last year about Patterson:

4 picks for a wr that really isn't that much better then the other 5 or 6 wr's that will go in the 2nd rd.

Just wow!

Sorry If I don't value your opinion.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
When did I say I trust Zimmer over you? I took the stance of no one knows, including you. Why not wait and see? Especially in the NFL draft, extreme reactions in either direction are just stupid. There's no sure thing. Plenty of players expected to be perennial Pro Bowlers have busted and expected busts have turned into Pro Bowlers. Some games translate, some don't. Maybe I just don't like to rile myself up.
Did I say it was you? :sarcasm:
It isn't an extreme reaction, it is a reasoned reaction that Barr was a really bad pick at 9 compared to what players and what positions they played were available.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I think we're getting into semantics here. It's your opinion that Barr will fail, fair enough.

The Spielman **** the bed comment is just what irked me a bit. Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but it did. Haha

As I said earlier, I have absolutely nothing to debate with because I've never seen Barr play.

I sincerely hope your opinion is wrong, as a Vikes fan :nod::laugh:

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
You said this last year about Patterson:

Sorry If I don't value your opinion.
And I still stand by what I said about Patterson. He hasn't done anything in the NFL to show he is an impact WR. After year 1 I am far closer to being right about Patterson than I am to being wrong about him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Anthony "the ghost" Barr?

The Pac 12 legend teams heard about but he never ever showed up in a game that mattered!!!

The Lions wtf?????? An already solid team at TE completely ignores their glaring DB needs

2 sacks against Oregon, 2 against USC. I'd say those games mattered.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Not a football guy by any mean but I work at the UofL and Teddy was in my college. Good kid and think he can do some great things if he has some protection.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
Hold on...they gave up a 2nd and 4th?

That is just ****ing stupid when you could have had him 9 to begin with!!!!!

Than they would not have gotten Barr?

Obviously the Vikes Front office has a different draft strategy than you.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Hold on...they gave up a 2nd and 4th?

That is just ****ing stupid when you could have had him 9 to begin with!!!!!

So essentially, the net for the night was:

Gave up: 2nd and 4th
Got: 5th, Barr, Bridgewater

I suppose if you're one of those folks who think Barr is not worth the breath that was used to announce his name that wouldn't look great :sarcasm:

But I don't think that looks too bad. Essentially downgraded the 4th to a 5th, and gave up our second so we could have another 1st. Now that I type it out, that actually seems like a pretty good deal.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
2 sacks against Oregon, 2 against USC. I'd say those games mattered.
4 tackles v UofO and 5 v USC.

Barr was nowhere to be found in those games and UCLA lost 42-14 and 35-14 in those games.

0 FF or Int for all of 2013.

Not an impact player and easily blocked by drafted OL in the Pac 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad