OT: Minnesota Pro Sports Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
4 tackles v UofO and 5 v USC.

Barr was nowhere to be found in those games and UCLA lost 42-14 and 35-14 in those games.

0 FF or Int for all of 2013.

Not an impact player and easily blocked by drafted OL in the Pac 12.

He's a project, no doubt, but as a pass rusher, I don't really care about his INT numbers or total tackles. He'll have one job to do.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Anthony Barr will have an immediate impact with the Vikings. He will step right in, and instantly become a Pro Bowl type talent. His 10+ year career will be very decorated and he will become one of the best LB's in Vikings history.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Dix was a horrible pick. Highly overrated especially in that range. Product of his team. Nothing more.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
4 tackles v UofO and 5 v USC.

Barr was nowhere to be found in those games and UCLA lost 42-14 and 35-14 in those games.

0 FF or Int for all of 2013.

Not an impact player and easily blocked by drafted OL in the Pac 12.

He was somewhere to be found in those games and it was on top of the QB... twice. His team winning or losing doesn't really matter.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Hold on...they gave up a 2nd and 4th?

That is just ****ing stupid when you could have had him 9 to begin with!!!!!

If they take Teddy at #9 and he busts, Spielman most likely gets fired. Taking him at 32 is far safer.
1. Gets the fan base excited
2. If he succeeds, Spielman looks like a genius
3. If he fails, it was a 32nd overall and doesn't get Spielman fired for a 2nd highly drafted QB bust.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
He was somewhere to be found in those games and it was on top of the QB... twice. His team winning or losing doesn't really matter.
it does matter because he had no impact which is the story of his career since getting moved to defense.
As said earlier, ask any Pac 12 fan
If they can recall a time when Barr impacted a football game and you will get a long stretch of silence.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Maybe the scheme they played didn't cater to his strengths? [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hold on...they gave up a 2nd and 4th?

That is just ****ing stupid when you could have had him 9 to begin with!!!!!
Technically no... they swapped their 2nd and gave a 4th to get back into the 1st.

They gave 2 picks, and got 1 in return, they lose only 1 pick... a 4th. That's CHEAP AS HELL for the distance they jumped!

it does matter because he had no impact which is the story of his career since getting moved to defense.
If they can recall a time when Barr impacted a football game and you will get a long stretch of silence.
Zimmer knows the types of players he needs to run his defense. This guy is a linebacker who will be used to blitz and passrush primarily... this guy fits that mold.

Was it a home run of a pick? Certainly not, but if he fits what Zimmer needs, it was a good pick.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

In 2 years, he has 103 solo tackles, 41.5 tackles for loss, 23.5 sacks and 6 forced fumbles. Looks like plenty of impactful plays to me.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
In 2 years, he has 103 solo tackles, 41.5 tackles for loss, 23.5 sacks and 6 forced fumbles. Looks like plenty of impactful plays to me.
No doubt when you just look at a stat line it is impressive but again I will say that never UCLA was in a game that mattered he wasn't to be found and against the likes of Yankey he couldn't sniff the qb!!!

ASU designed a game plan that went right at him and he was lost.

Barr is not what he appears on paper, against like competition he is average.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Blizzard, I'm asking because I don't know: Hasn't UCLA been crap recently? In your opinion, where does Barr rank on UCLA's defense. Was he their marquee player?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No doubt when you just look at a stat line it is impressive but again I will say that never UCLA was in a game that mattered he wasn't to be found and against the likes of Yankey he couldn't sniff the qb!!!

ASU designed a game plan that went right at him and he was lost.

Barr is not what he appears on paper, against like competition he is average.

7 tackles and a sack doesn't scream "lost" to me.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Barr Helps Zimmer Remodel Vikings Defense

Since he became the Minnesota Vikings' head coach in January, Mike Zimmer has been working to remake the team's defense in his image. He needed a run-stuffing nose tackle; the Vikings signed one in Linval Joseph. Zimmer needed an upgrade at slot cornerback; the Vikings paid Captain Munnerlyn to fill that role.

But as much as the Vikings had done for the first and last layers of Zimmer's defense, they were still missing a key ingredient in the middle of the sandwich: a speedy, disruptive linebacker who could blitz from the strongside position and hunt down running backs. Zimmer wanted one badly enough in his final year in Cincinnati that the Bengals signed former 3-4 linebacker James Harrison at age 35, put him on the strong side of their 4-3 defense and asked him to perform many of the same functions he did in Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense.

In Minnesota, Zimmer now has a younger and bigger linebacker to do that job. His name is Anthony Barr, and after the Vikings took him with the ninth pick in the NFL draft on Thursday night, Barr became the clearest sign that a major shift is coming to Minnesota's defense.

He is 6-foot-4, 255 pounds -- essentially the same size as defensive ends Everson Griffen and Brian Robison -- and runs the 40-yard dash in 4.44 seconds. Barr has spent two years at linebacker, after he asked UCLA coach Jim Mora about switching from running back to linebacker two years ago, and he had 13 1/2 sacks in the Bruins' 3-4 defense last year. Many had projected Barr would fit best with a 3-4 team, but in Minnesota he'll be one of the keys to a defense predicated on active linebackers.

"Typically, our 'Sam' linebacker blitzes a lot more than our 'Will' linebacker, for instance," Zimmer said. "We're thinking of ways to continually try to pressure the quarterback as many times as we can, and the position he plays is a pressure position. That's why we felt good about him."

Zimmer knows what he wants! ;)

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Blizzard, I'm asking because I don't know: Hasn't UCLA been crap recently? In your opinion, where does Barr rank on UCLA's defense. Was he their marquee player?
The past two years UCLA has been solid defensively but it was because they had talent everywhere and some of those players put up numbers that looked awesome but were done as a part of the collective. individually there wasn't a stand out. look at last year and Datone Jones, total bust for GB and a first rd pick.

imo the impact player on UCLA is Zumwalt, he was present in every game including the big ones where Barr was in ghost mode.

As a rule right now I would avoid everything UCLA defense

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Closing this one a little early because I can.

Thread over.
aD0D9NB_460sa.gif

Next one:http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1666545

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad