OT: Minnesota Pro Sports Thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
They have a bullpen coach who speaks Spanish. But they could probably use a guy in the dugout. It sounds funny, but someone like a cultural ambassador. That could be important.

I dunno, if I went to say Hong Kong to go play hockey and half the team was guys from the US and Canada, and the entire coaching staff and management was all Chinese, I'd have to think we'd feel lost.

Here's a good article about North Korean hockey. What I took from it was the cultural differences.

If I went to go play hockey in Asia, I'd have no idea what is and is not culturally acceptable. But if there was someone on the coaching staff who would look out for me and pull me aside and explain things, maybe go to bat for me when I make mistakes, that would go a REALLY long way towards making me feel comfortable.

Although if you look at guys like Arcia and Sano, they are not with the Twins but in the minors.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
A Latin American coach wouldn't make a lick of difference when it comes to Sano showboating or Arcia being disinterested in the game. Those players were dealt with as they should have been dealt with regardless of what their native language is or where they came from.

What exactly would Ozzie Guillen have done differently with those players besides bench them? Cuss them out in spanish?

The implication that Latin American ball players must be treated differently then any other ball player or can't/won't take direction from a white coach is just offensive. Let's not act like all North American ball players are saints and don't behave at times in ways that we would rather they didn't, yet you won't read a Reusse article saying that what "X" player needs is a white, english speaking coach from Cow Lick, NC.

Reusse has made a career of running down athletes who didn't fit his "mold", he usually lets them at least get to Minnesota before doing so, in this case he decided to get an early start and didn't even bother to wait til they mature and at least reach the Twins before he started in with his tiresome ********.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
I just saw the video of the home run in question and my only reaction is WTF? He got benched multiple games for that? That is the reason a guy who just hit his 4th HR in 6 games was yanked from the line up?

If you ask me they should fire Smith for being an idiot if that is the only reason behind his multi game benching.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
I just saw the video of the home run in question and my only reaction is WTF? He got benched multiple games for that? That is the reason a guy who just hit his 4th HR in 6 games was yanked from the line up?

If you ask me they should fire Smith for being an idiot if that is the only reason behind his multi game benching.

Spectating on your home run can get other players hurt. It took him an awfully long time to come into frame on that youtube video.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Spectating on your home run can get other players hurt. It took him an awfully long time to come into frame on that youtube video.
Yeah, sure, ok. It took him about as long as it takes David Ortiz on every home run he has ever hit. It may have been an excessive admiration but a multi game benching for that is just ridiculous!!! I have seen a hell of a lot worse.

I guess the Twins better trade Sano before he becomes a danger to Drew Buteras health. :help:

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Yeah, sure, ok. It took him about as long as it takes David Ortiz on every home run he has ever hit. It may have been an excessive admiration but a multi game benching for that is just ridiculous!!! I have seen a hell of a lot worse.

I guess the Twins better trade Sano before he becomes a danger to Drew Buteras health. :help:

I think you're seriously underestimating how often other guys get plunked because another player celebrates.

Sano needed a lesson in acting like he's been there before. It's not a big deal that he was benched, and there may be more to his benching than this one incident. The Twins have never confirmed it was solely due to that HR admiration.

Also, Ortiz gets to admire his home run becuase he's done it quite a few times in the major leagues.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market

I've read more than a few baseball biographies. They most certainly do make sure someone that stares at a home run ball too long gets hurt. And one that takes too long to go to first on a walk. Most definitely.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
This board just makes me do this :facepalm: half the time I read it anymore.

Where did I say a player doesn't suffer if he pisses off another team? Did I say that anywhere? I don't believe I said that anywhere but if I did say that please remind by posting where I said that didn't happen.

I believe what I said was Sanos HR admiration wasn't even close to being over the top, HR hitters admire their hr's, it is what they do. I know that might be new to Twins fans because it has been awhile since we had a Sano in the system. Personally I hope to see a lot more of him admiring bombs he launches into the parking lot.

"act like he has done it before", please stop with the Jr High coach speak. The dude had a history with that pitcher and got the best of him and enjoyed it. Multi game benching was ridiculous and it makes the Twins look like a bunch of idiots for the over reaction to it.

He probably got benched because he pulled the ball and didn't slap a single the opposite way, you know he didn't do it the "Twins way" and all that nonsense.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
This board just makes me do this :facepalm: half the time I read it anymore.

Where did I say a player doesn't suffer if he pisses off another team? Did I say that anywhere? I don't believe I said that anywhere but if I did say that please remind by posting where I said that didn't happen.

I believe what I said was Sanos HR admiration wasn't even close to being over the top, HR hitters admire their hr's, it is what they do. I know that might be new to Twins fans because it has been awhile since we had a Sano in the system. Personally I hope to see a lot more of him admiring bombs he launches into the parking lot.

"act like he has done it before", please stop with the Jr High coach speak. The dude had a history with that pitcher and got the best of him and enjoyed it. Multi game benching was ridiculous and it makes the Twins look like a bunch of idiots for the over reaction to it.

He probably got benched because he pulled the ball and didn't slap a single the opposite way, you know he didn't do it the "Twins way" and all that nonsense.

Sano's HR trot would have been one of the top 10 longest in the majors this year (8 of which are enjoyed by Ortiz)

That was an exceptionally long trot no matter how you put it.

You talk about facepalming and then bring up the tired out of context twins way crap.

seriously, Sano being disciplined isn't the end of the world. It wouldn't be a story 5 years ago because you wouldn't know about it. But that's the beauty of our twitter sports culture.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Sano's HR trot would have been one of the top 10 longest in the majors this year (8 of which are enjoyed by Ortiz)

That was an exceptionally long trot no matter how you put it.

You talk about facepalming and then bring up the tired out of context twins way crap.

seriously, Sano being disciplined isn't the end of the world. It wouldn't be a story 5 years ago because you wouldn't know about it. But that's the beauty of our twitter sports culture.
There is nothing out of context about the "Twins way" or the ******** that comes along with it and so what that it would have been among the slowest trots this year?

I never said it was the end of the world, what I said was it was idiotic to bench Sano for multiple games because of HR admiration that really was not all that bad. The one acting like it was the end of the world is the one benching him for multiple games and is now developing a track record of doing such things.

4 HRs in 6 games "grab some bench til you learn your lesson kid" :sarcasm:

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
There is nothing out of context about the "Twins way" or the ******** that comes along with it and so what that it would have been among the slowest trots this year?

I never said it was the end of the world, what I said was it was idiotic to bench Sano for multiple games because of HR admiration that really was not all that bad. The one acting like it was the end of the world is the one benching him for multiple games and is now developing a track record of doing such things.

4 HRs in 6 games "grab some bench til you learn your lesson kid" :sarcasm:

Find a quote. One quote that even implies the twins way is slapping singles the other way.

You're right, "twins way" isn't out of context, it's a fabrication.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
There's a thing called being a pro, acting like you've been there etc. That is a part of the Twins way. You may be a star, but you don't need to be a jackass. He showed up an opponent who used to be a teammate whom he had a run-in with. That's a dick move and he would/will be plunked for it.
Just because he is one of our better prospects does not give him leeway to be an *******.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Find a quote. One quote that even implies the twins way is slapping singles the other way.

You're right, "twins way" isn't out of context, it's a fabrication.
Ok dude, Ron Gardenhire is just a modern day Earl Weaver when it comes to managerial philosophy.

You are either very young or just recently became a Twins fan if you haven't ever heard the Twins hitting coaches or Gardenhire himself talk about "tilting" the field while at the plate. It is the cornerstone of Vavras philosophy as a hitting coach and certainly appears to have trickled into Brunos philosophy as well which is surprising since Bruno never saw a pitch he didn't pull.

And I am seriously not going to post every time the Twins talk about the importance of productive outs, I can tell you this though, the words "productive outs" come out of the Twins coaching staffs mouths more than any team I ever hear talk about offensive philosphies. "productive outs" shouldn't be a philosophy but it is absolutely pounded into the Twins heads on a regular basis to the point it has become one.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Ok dude, Ron Gardenhire is just a modern day Earl Weaver when it comes to managerial philosophy.

You are either very young or just recently became a Twins fan if you haven't ever heard the Twins hitting coaches or Gardenhire himself talk about "tilting" the field while at the plate. It is the cornerstone of Vavras philosophy as a hitting coach and certainly appears to have trickled into Brunos philosophy as well which is surprising since Bruno never saw a pitch he didn't pull.

And I am seriously not going to post every time the Twins talk about the importance of productive outs, I can tell you this though, the words "productive outs" come out of the Twins coaching staffs mouths more than any team I ever hear talk about offensive philosphies. "productive outs" shouldn't be a philosophy but it is absolutely pounded into the Twins heads on a regular basis to the point it has become one.

I never gave an opinion on Gardenhire either way. It's amusing someone with a different opinion in you must be young or a new twins fan, yet you seem to believe the manager matters much at all.

Yes Twins hitting coaches tell their players to use all the fields, as do ALL hitting coaches do.

http://www.twinkietown.com/2011/12/28/2665343/joe-vavra-q-a-with-brandon-warne

Here are some actual quotes rather than your unsourced summaries.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
I never gave an opinion on Gardenhire either way. It's amusing someone with a different opinion in you must be young or a new twins fan, yet you seem to believe the manager matters much at all.

Yes Twins hitting coaches tell their players to use all the fields, as do ALL hitting coaches do.

http://www.twinkietown.com/2011/12/28/2665343/joe-vavra-q-a-with-brandon-warne

Here are some actual quotes rather than your unsourced summaries.
No, not all hitting coaches tell their hitters to use all fields, not all hitters are cut out to do that and THAT my friend was Ulgers and Vavras downside as hitting coaches, we will wait and see what Bruno becomes and what his philosophy ends up being, he is still pretty green at it but right now you can still see the Vavra influence in the hitters approach.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Percy Harvin will have hip surgery

How are we feeling about that trade now?
It is quite the story here in Seattle. The Seahawks are not at all happy with Harvins decision and even less pleased that he tweeted about it before the organization even knew what he was doing and they do not agree that the injury is requiring surgery at this moment but their hands are tied on it, it has been fun listening to Carroll soft step around this, he isn't a guy who soft steps very well.

I said at the time of that trade that it was a perfect example of the arrogance that has infected the Seahawks and will ultimately be their downfall. This organization truly is the NY Jets of the West Coast, if they weren't tucked away up here in the NW they would be getting the same scrutiny as the Jets, instead they are just everyones darlings to win it all and the very serious issues that abound are completely ignored.

BTW, you Vikes fans would also get a chuckle out of knowing that Sidney Rice left camp to go to Switzerland to have a procedure done on his knee.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Its funny to see the Seahawks go after all these Vikings ever since we got Hutchinson.

They really are Jets west.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
It is quite the story here in Seattle. The Seahawks are not at all happy with Harvins decision and even less pleased that he tweeted about it before the organization even knew what he was doing and they do not agree that the injury is requiring surgery at this moment but their hands are tied on it, it has been fun listening to Carroll soft step around this, he isn't a guy who soft steps very well.

I said at the time of that trade that it was a perfect example of the arrogance that has infected the Seahawks and will ultimately be their downfall. This organization truly is the NY Jets of the West Coast, if they weren't tucked away up here in the NW they would be getting the same scrutiny as the Jets, instead they are just everyones darlings to win it all and the very serious issues that abound are completely ignored.

BTW, you Vikes fans would also get a chuckle out of knowing that Sidney Rice left camp to go to Switzerland to have a procedure done on his knee.

Would have thought Carroll was better at that given how crazy things at USC could get.

Also Percy tweeting his decision out first is vintage Percy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad