OT: Minnesota Pro Sports Thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
I doubt anyone we can draft in the 1st will get to be as good as Harvin was.

This is what makes me mad. Percy was a dynamic player. He did it all except play QB for us.

Idk.. I dont like the trade. Close but if i was the GM .. Id put on a starring contest w/ the Hawks and woudlve done better than a 7th.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
We got a great return for him. As posted before, Brandon Marshall was traded for 2-3rd round picks. Of course, no player we draft will be as good as Harvin(most likely at least). But as far as value goes, we got a good deal.

Piffles

Jul 4, 2012
Eh. Good player, fun to watch, but I'm glad we managed to get a worthwhile return.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
So Seattle has the 25th overall pick, its a pretty damn good return its only two picks after ours.

So we can grab a good WR with our pick and a good safty/D player with the Seatle pick.

It should work out for us provided we don't do something stupid like let the clock run out.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Harvin netted basically the exact thing did as Moss in 04.

And I think we can all agree Moss > Harvin.

If Seattle ended up giving him the outrageous money he asked for then we make out like bandits. I love him as a player, but I don't believe he's worth Top 5 WR money. If Seattle signed him to a reasonable deal then you know there were other factors involved and the Vikings had no choice but to make this deal.

I think it's a win-win given the circumstances. Spielman still has a ton of work to do, however, given our top 2 WRs on the depth chart right now are Jarius Wright and Stephan Burton. That makes me long for the days of Troy Williamson and Travis Taylor.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So Seattle has the 25th overall pick, its a pretty damn good return its only two picks after ours.

Exactly. And cap room to boot!

So we can grab a good WR with our pick and a good safty/D player with the Seatle pick.

It should work out for us provided we don't do something stupid like let the clock run out.

Why do the Vikes need a safety? They have a pretty good team back there.

This is what makes me mad. Percy was a dynamic player. He did it all except play QB for us.

When he was on the field. I like Jarius Wright's potential personally.

Idk.. I dont like the trade. Close but if i was the GM .. Id put on a starring contest w/ the Hawks and woudlve done better than a 7th.

Harvin had little market.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
K after thinking it over... Its ok.

But what makes me feel better is that:

Boldin traded to the 49ers for a SIXTH round pick. Yup. Thats it. Robbery :laugh:

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Ugh. heard the news today. I agree that we won't find a player of his calibre...but getting that other first rounder does give us the chance to add another wide reciever, and even with harvin we had **** all after that.

good return all things considered...

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I like this deal. There's a reason why we didn't see Harvin play in the playoffs when the spec was he could have played. He is a cancer. He's a great player but he's injury prone and obviously has to be coddled if he's upset about something or else he doesn't like it.

We got a great return for him.

Last edited:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Harvin was a cancer.

According to an article I read on ESPN, it sounds like he was more than a small time cancer. Its speculated that he was going to pull out all the stops and do everything he had to in order to get out of here.

If that's the case, screw him. Glad we got a first for him. I do not wish him well at this point. No tears shed. He's Seattle's problem now, and if he starts doing the same thing over there, I'm gonna laugh my ass off.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
For a guy that threw temper tantrums and then left his team mid-season...yeah I would assume a lot of guys in that locker room are happy he's gone today. There's probably a lot of guys disappointed too.

My opinion would be way different if he stuck around during that playoff push. There's a reason he was put on IR (by the team, not by him) and he flew home and never showed up during the rest of the season. It was never about the team.

Hell of a player, but clearly didn't want to play for the Vikings, so good for the Vikes to get something out of it.

I still don't think Ponder's a legit starting QB and they literally have one decent receiver now...so time to draft some talent.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Annoyed. BUT, they did get better value than I thought they would.

Not all that upset with Harvin, really. He was just stating the obvious; the organization was too enamored with a mistake at QB and they have no real intentions to bring in viable competition, let alone an upgrade. That should be the real thing taken away in all of this. I just hope this is the year a decision is made on Ponder. And I don't want to hear anything about not having WRs as an excuse. He needs to perform markedly better than whatever that was that we seen last season.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
I'll miss Harvin on the field, I won't miss Harvin off it.

I was able to dismiss his spats with childress becuase childress was a dick. I can't tolerate the lack of respect he gave to the calmest head coach in the history of the NFL.

It was very apparent Harvin didn't want to be here, and I don't like begging players to stay. It just doesn't work.

The fact that Spielman got a first round pick and 2 additional picks as compensation shows not only the level of talent the Vikings were parting with, but the negotiating skill of Harvin.

It's pretty apparent with how quickly the Niners got Boldin after this trade that he set up a bidding war between 2 division rivals. This is max value for Harvin right now considering his flaws and the Vikings lack of leverage.

I think the Vikings not beating the Niners' offer for Boldin means the Vikings are going to get a quality Free agent. I think it's Danny Amendola. He's a reliable chain mover that plays the slot. Dude was a first down machine for the Rams when he was their only receiving option.

Sign Amendola/Jennings/Wallace, draft the style of WR that you didn't get in FA, Re-up the Juice as a bit player. Use the other first round pick to replace Loadholt or grab Ogletree.

Super Bowl Homeboy

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Wish we would've outbid the niners for Boldin, he is a true team player and would've helped next season :rant:

As I said in the long post above this, I think that the Vikings must believe they are signing one of the top 3 free agents to not outbid for Boldin.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Annoyed. BUT, they did get better value than I thought they would.

Not all that upset with Harvin, really. He was just stating the obvious; the organization was too enamored with a mistake at QB and they have no real intentions to bring in viable competition, let alone an upgrade. That should be the real thing taken away in all of this. I just hope this is the year a decision is made on Ponder. And I don't want to hear anything about not having WRs as an excuse. He needs to perform markedly better than whatever that was that we seen last season.

Agreed. Last year was his adjustment period. Hopefully he's adjusted.

WildFan87

Feb 2, 2013
Minnesota
I'm kinda pissed about the Harvin trade. I got his jersey several months ago and then he decided to go to Seattle lol..I should've gotten an AP jersey instead....lol

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
I'm kinda pissed about the Harvin trade. I got his jersey several months ago and then he decided to go to Seattle lol..I should've gotten an AP jersey instead....lol

If there's less than 3 years left on a guys deal, I tend to avoid their jersies.

My current 2 jersies are a Koivu & a Peterson because I like both players, and I know they'll be there for a while.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
People need to quit hating on Pnder he had his awful stretch after his only go to receiver went down. Kid rebounded and got us to the playoffs before we lost him and a better pick to GB, seriously he should have ran AP one more time for the record and then missed the playoffs.

Harvin is a great player, his skill is undeniable and his dynamic aspect cannot easily be replaced. However with two first rounds picks we can now get a good WR (keenan Allen has been thrown around) and a CB.

We can address more needs in our team. I like this trade.

Also its my belief that Boldin wanted to go where he could win not to a team thats still up and coming, him and Crabtree will make a lethal combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad