Minnesota Golden Gophers

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
After the last three years, gopher fans, coaches and players have been on an extended vacation.

Everyone seemed to be collectivly holding their breathe.

Great news. Now with all the Ambroz stuff floating around, we need the season to start now.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
what does "all the Ambroz stuff" mean?
and I'd love it if the season started next week- but we need a break.
year-round hockey would be ok by me.....

Ever since last year when he was going to come in a year early, and decided to stay in the USHL. Not that getting his schooling had anythng to do with it :shakehead. He fell on draft day, bad. Is just producing an aura of its the gophers fault, hear say.

He has been working out and lifting with the team. Which is a good sign. Lots of rumors about him going to the WHL.

Seems like he is unhappy about his season, his draft position and is talking without thinking. His NoDak comment was not the best timed.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Well it is one game. But if your going start off a season right, do it with a 9-0 victory. 7 different goal scorers. Only three skaters without a point. 9 multi point games.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Well it is one game. But if your going start off a season right, do it with a 9-0 victory. 7 different goal scorers. Only three skaters without a point. 9 multi point games.

If you can start off a week end series with a sweep great. With two shut outs even better. While scoring 15 goals. WOW.

This a series that we get tripped up the last few years. I do not know if it is Guentzel or what, but we look like the good gopher teams of the early 2000s. Just total domination all over the ice.

Hansen- Haula- Warning look awsome. Line had 10 points tonight.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
If you can start off a week end series with a sweep great. With two shut outs even better. While scoring 15 goals. WOW.

This a series that we get tripped up the last few years. I do not know if it is Guentzel or what, but we look like the good gopher teams of the early 2000s. Just total domination all over the ice.

Hansen- Haula- Warning look awsome. Line had 10 points tonight.
Not taking anything away from what the gophs did this weekend as they did what they should of done but that Sacred Heart team was one of the worse DI teams I have seen in a long long time. And to think they were 1 win away from making the tourney last year. Man how they have fallen. The gophs sweep UMD next weekend then ya got something going this season. Gotta admit though Bjugstad is a beast.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
Not taking anything away from what the gophs did this weekend as they did what they should of done but that Sacred Heart team was one of the worse DI teams I have seen in a long long time. And to think they were 1 win away from making the tourney last year. Man how they have fallen. The gophs sweep UMD next weekend then ya got something going this season. Gotta admit though Bjugstad is a beast.
That was two years ago. Sacred Heart finished 11th in Atlantic Hockey last year and Air Force kicked their ass in the conference tournament.

Plenty of positives to take away from this weekend. Yes it was Sacred Heart but the last time Minnesota beat an opponent by more than 15 goals in a weekend was 2002. The freshmen all contributed and got much needed experience while scoring was distributed across all four lines. And of course it would be wrong to not point out Kent Patterson's two shutouts.

At the same time, the U still has work to be done; especially with special teams. The Gophers went 3 for 11 on the PP and Patterson bailed out the PK a couple times. UMD should be a good test for that after how their power play looked late in the season. No one in Dinkytown should be shouting championship yet and this weekend will paint a better picture. However, after a couple years of not converting on chances and letting less talented opponents stay in the game it's nice to see some killer instinct by Minnesota.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site

If you think they were bad vs. the Gophers over the weekend, you should have seen them last season. :help:

Anyway, good way for the Gophers to start the season. The (much) bigger test will be next weekend vs. the 'Dogs. Definitely will be watching that one. Should be a good one.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
That was two years ago. Sacred Heart finished 11th in Atlantic Hockey last year and Air Force kicked their ass in the conference tournament.

Plenty of positives to take away from this weekend. Yes it was Sacred Heart but the last time Minnesota beat an opponent by more than 15 goals in a weekend was 2002. The freshmen all contributed and got much needed experience while scoring was distributed across all four lines. And of course it would be wrong to not point out Kent Patterson's two shutouts.

At the same time, the U still has work to be done; especially with special teams. The Gophers went 3 for 11 on the PP and Patterson bailed out the PK a couple times. UMD should be a good test for that after how their power play looked late in the season. No one in Dinkytown should be shouting championship yet and this weekend will paint a better picture. However, after a couple years of not converting on chances and letting less talented opponents stay in the game it's nice to see some killer instinct by Minnesota.
I read that it was last year on another site.I stand corrected.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Last year or the last few years we win those games 4-2 and 3-1 and its a bounce away from a tie. We played hard all the way through. Again in the dark years(we are breaking out this year) we would give up or get really weak and sloppy. We made mistakes in both games but the effort was there across the board.

There were six guys that played in only one game against Sacred Heart. A few that did not play. There is going to be some healthy competition this week.

We have not given up a goal yet this year. 3-0 exibition plus these last two.

All the little things we lacked the last few years. Heart, consistancy, depth.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Night and day so far from the last 3 years. Team shows heart and grit that has been missing for so long. Obviously still early but they keep this up all year and they will be top 3 in the league come March. Don't like my Siouxs chances at the Mooch in 3 weeks.They are struggling despite their 2-1-1 record.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
How has Patterson played?

I would say above average over all.

Great within the system.

He is in the right position. Square to the shooter and not giving up rebounds. Making the saves he needs to and is taking a few away. The D has played well. Giving up a lot of shots but from bad angles and far out.

The knock on the Gophers has been, pepper them and they will fail. The D is small and weak and the team is geared towards offense. Get rebounds and out muscle hustle them.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
I would say above average over all.

Great within the system.

He is in the right position. Square to the shooter and not giving up rebounds. Making the saves he needs to and is taking a few away. The D has played well. Giving up a lot of shots but from bad angles and far out.

The knock on the Gophers has been, pepper them and they will fail. The D is small and weak and the team is geared towards offense. Get rebounds and out muscle hustle them.
6'4" 213 lbs
6'3" 196 lbs
6'3" 202 lbs
6'2" 212 lbs

That's 4 of the top 7 defensemen (Helgeson, Holl, Alt and Thompson) The blue line is young (with one upperclassmen) but not as small as recent years.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
6'4" 213 lbs
6'3" 196 lbs
6'3" 202 lbs
6'2" 212 lbs

That's 4 of the top 7 defensemen (Helgeson, Holl, Alt and Thompson) The blue line is young (with one upperclassmen) but not as small as recent years.

No Wehrs, Ness, Fischer, Leddy(freshman), Fairchild. All under 200 and exept Fischer i think all under 6 foot.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
6'4" 213 lbs
6'3" 196 lbs
6'3" 202 lbs
6'2" 212 lbs

Is one of them likely to emerge as the leader of that group? How's Holl looking and has he added strength?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Is one of them likely to emerge as the leader of that group? How's Holl looking and has he added strength?

I would say Marshall and Helgeson are the only two that really stand out. Thats beasue of dumb play.

Holl, Schmidt, and Alt are all playing equally well. I do not see a leader or go to guy emerging yet. I feel just fine with any of those three on the ice in any situation.

The whole team is just that much bette. I would say everyone is better than last year.

Lam7825

Go Goldy Go!
I'm encouraged by the weekend at Duluth- and really impressed that the "d" corps is finally big and won't get pushed around like they have in years past. And it was a long summer, not seeing Helgeson crush somebody! Hockey's back!

This year's crop of freshmen is certainly impressive- Rau looks like he's been playing at this level for years. Everyone keeps saying he's an undersized guy, but he doesn't seem that small to me. Next to Bjugstad, maybe.....

Excited to have Budish back- Rau-Bjugstad-Budish is a scary good line. Do we really think Nick's gonna stay after this year? He's a monster. Just wish he could learn to win faceoffs more regularly.

And Condon's off to a surprising offensive start. Not one of the top guys you'd expect, but nice to have his contributions.

Wish Alt would pick it up a bit. Sophomore slump?

At least Patterson didn't give up as many juicy rebounds as Reiter- he looked terrible (Reiter) the whole weekend. That was the guy who backstopped a national championship?

Lauri from Tacoma

p.s. wish the Bruins had a PP QB like Nate Schmidt- Gophs PP tops in NCAA or close to it. En fuego!

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Another win, shutout and domination. Have to clean up the dumb lazy penalties.

No one looked bad.

As for the D.

Holl is the rushing D man.
Schmidt is the point man.
Alt is playing every where. Looks most like a true #1
Helgeson the dumb bruiser. It is good to have him back there. Just tone it down a bit.
Marshall as the wild card
Parenteau the surprise. Just playing smooth and well. Mostly goes unoticed. Perfect bottom pairing guy.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Another win, shutout and domination.

But it was a very different looking Vermont team earlier today. Robbie Madore just played out of his mind, especially in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Some Gophers observations I made (and please feel free to chime in):

1) Seth Ambroz just looked awful out there today with a couple of boneheaded plays. I realize that he likes the rough stuff, but there's a way right way to do it and WRONG way to do it. Ambroz did the latter. Thompson's retailiatory penalty resulted in a UVM goal. These guys will learn...eventually.

2) IMO, Kyle Rau was the best Gopher on the ice today, bar none. He's really fun to watch and just uses that great speed of his so well! He was always where the action was and created some good opportunities, one of which led to Schmidt's goal. I was really impressed with the fact that he got roughed up a couple of times, but simply just got back into the play (or tried to). Nice to see Seth Helgason come to his defense when Matt White tried to stuff Kyle into UVM's players bench.

3) The more I see Erik Haula, the more I like him. Like Rau, he makes things happen whenever he's on the ice. And he just keeps racking up the points.

4) Despite getting the loss, I didn't think Patterson played badly. He actually played quite well, but was really hung out to dry in the 2nd period by the defense.

Next up for the Gophers....a trip to Alaska to take on the Seawolves of UAA. Any predictions?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I did not like the sun game and i think it was a terrible thing to schedule. Vermont looked like a totally different team. One extra day makes a huge difference. They were calmer and took away a lot of little things. We win 5-2 if it is a saturday game.

I am fine with Ambroz. The cross check was really weak for the extra minor. Ambroz will look better on small rinks. His skating is not his strong suit yet. He will get it ironed out. Not as bad as Wheeler was a fresh. Both look like big kids that get the puck lost in their feet and just cannot get going when the want too.

Thompson was just plain stupid. Parenteau has played well. I see him as a regular now.

We need to sweep AA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad