Minnesota Contenders?

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Also an interesting note is that the Wild has played the easiest schedule in the NHL so far. Dead last in opponent win percentage--by a fair margin too. Most of the time they're beating their opponent on effort, luck, and far superior goaltending. You can't count on that in the postseason.

There's little difference between the Wild this year and Colorado that year besides the fact that Minnesota is doing it with a better team. The total level of overachieving is similar. Only the Wild's base is higher.

Only noting percentages fails to account for the massive overachieving the Wild has done on the offensive end. They should still be winning games, but like 2-1 or 3-2. Their defense is excellent, but their Corsi, scoring chances for, and shots charts are reflective of how mediocre their offense truly is.

Season GP W L OTL Pts GF GA Finish Playoffs
2011–12 82 41 35 6 88 203 209 3rd, Northwest Did not qualify
2012–13 48 16 25 7 39 116 152 5th, Northwest Did not qualify
2013–14 82 52 22 8 112 250 220 1st, Central Lost in First Round, 3–4 (Wild)
2014–15 82 39 31 12 90 219 227 7th, Central Did not qualify
2015–16 82 39 39 4 82 216 240 6th, Central Did not qualify

The avalanche were bad for multiple seasons before they made the playoffs, not a comparison.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Not until we can get to the 3rd round or past the Hawks....They have a good chance. But they still have a lot to prove.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not until we can get to the 3rd round or past the Hawks....They have a good chance. But they still have a lot to prove.

You can be a contender without that...you can't be a FAVORITE though.

Yes the Wild are contenders, with a lot to prove.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
The Wild are about to go on a big losing streak, starting with a 4-1 loss to the Ducks tonight.

They will lose in the first round - most likely to Mike Yeo's St Louis Blues.

It is the Minnesota way ....

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Wild are about to go on a big losing streak, starting with a 4-1 loss to the Ducks tonight.

At least you're consistent.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. :laugh:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Also an interesting note is that the Wild has played the easiest schedule in the NHL so far. Dead last in opponent win percentage--by a fair margin too. Most of the time they're beating their opponent on effort, luck, and far superior goaltending. You can't count on that in the postseason.

There's little difference between the Wild this year and Colorado that year besides the fact that Minnesota is doing it with a better team. The total level of overachieving is similar. Only the Wild's base is higher.

Only noting percentages fails to account for the massive overachieving the Wild has done on the offensive end. They should still be winning games, but like 2-1 or 3-2. Their defense is excellent, but their Corsi, scoring chances for, and shots charts are reflective of how mediocre their offense truly is.

I don't know if I'd consider #12 in scoring chances for and #10 in high danger scoring chances for as 'mediocre'. I know you would, because it's the Wild after all, but I guess you could say that it's not quite accurately reflective of the #4 offense in the league, or whatever we're ranked right now. But stop acting like we're a bottom 5 offensive team that's just getting lucky.

Last edited:

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
Regarding the Corsi angle, I'd be worried if our scoring chance percentages were lower. As it stands right now, it's highly improbable that a team gets this far into a season and "lucks" into consistently out chancing the other team on a nightly basis.

So much as I trust Corsi as a quick twitch predictor, they're underlying metrics are so good that I'm hesitant to make a big deal about it.

My only theory is that Minnesota didn't really have a single high volume shooter on the team. Parise is the closest, but he's not what it used to be. We just don't have enough "shoot first" type of players to inflate shot totals. I don't think it's intentional, it's just the way the roster turned out.

Edit : For some perspective; Parise leads the team with 144 shots, which is 42nd in the league. Next is Staal with 136. We only have two players in the top 100 for shots on goal.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Bottomline: Of course the Wild are contenders. They are probably the best team in the West right now. The only thing I question is their playoff coaching. I wonder if they have another gear that most championship teams have in the playoffs. Are they maxing out in the regular season? It's a fair question ... especially for Boudreau coached teams.

Teams like the Kings and Hawks have proved they have another gear in the playoffs. Even SJ to a degree.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i maintain as always most teams that make it to the playoffs are contenders. certainly the top six in each conference.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I think so, but according to HFBoards your team can't be a contender until they have made it to the conference finals

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Bottomline: Of course the Wild are contenders. They are probably the best team in the West right now. The only thing I question is their playoff coaching. I wonder if they have another gear that most championship teams have in the playoffs. Are they maxing out in the regular season? It's a fair question ... especially for Boudreau coached teams.

Teams like the Kings and Hawks have proved they have another gear in the playoffs. Even SJ to a degree.

All very fair questions.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
another colorado. overachieving. Happens every season.

I don't think Colorado had the scoring chance numbers that we do, and were also 24th in PK.

The Calgary team from 2014-15 was bottom 5 in both scoring chance % and high danger scoring chance % (Wild are top 4 in both currently) and 16th and 20th in PP and PK (Wild are 6th and 10th currently).

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
My half-baked Boudreau theory is that he's a brilliant coach who's able to consistently get his teams to overperform, thus creating lofty expectations. Then, in the playoffs other teams figure him out over long series' and when his teams lose, everyone says he's a choker when in reality, he got his team to a place they never should have been to in the first place.

The Wild are outperforming everyone's expectations in Boudreau's first year as head coach -I don't think that's coincidence. We'll see how they fare in the playoffs (assuming they get there) but if they fall short, I won't be blaming Boudreau.

Contenders? Not until they're past the Hawks.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Indeed. Also, no national coverage or attention please. Every time that happens, the rug gets yanked out.

We just played 3 consecutive national games. I think those old jinxes are dead.

We've had tons of Wild threads on the main boards...most not even from Wild fans...yet they keep winning.

The jinxes are dead. Just enjoy the ride and see how far they can go!

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Contenders? Sure, maybe, I don't know. Depends on their draw/health come playoffs. They'll be a tough out if they have home advantage.

The only reason they haven't won a Cup/Cups yet is because they won that meaningless, fateful game nearly 5 years ago in March. Darn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad