Minnesota Contenders?

Plickspect

Jan 21, 2016
The Wild will be contenders after they win the cup by pure luck, but it won't be sustainable next season.

What a sad state of affairs if a snorefest like Minnesota wins the cup.

I'm starting to like when people say this because I instantly know they never watch the Wild and have no idea what they are talking about.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm starting to like when people say this because I instantly know they never watch the Wild and have no idea what they are talking about.

You can't possibly defend this though. Jacques Lemaire using the trap? Offensive dynamos like Pierre Marc Bouchard, Pavol Demitra and Marian Gaborik are just being neutered by the system. Seriously it's 2017. Someone tell the Wild they can score too, not just defend for 60 minutes.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I have a Corsi question, and figured I'd put it here based on how often Minnesota's comes up when people discuss the Wild and their possibility or likelihood of making a deep playoff run.

Has there been any research or anything on the affect that PDO has on a team's possession?

What I mean is, and I'll try to explain as simply as possible, is that Minnesota has the 2nd best PDO in the league. A lot of people take that as luck, but that's beside the point; what it means is that our save % is higher than most, our shooting % is higher than most, or both are.

Obviously when a goal is scored, at either end of the ice, the play stops. There are no opportunities for follow up chances or additional shots, shot attempts, no o-zone or d-zone face offs, etc... that would add to those possession stats. So if Minnesota is scoring on a higher rate of shots taken than most, and also saving shots at a higher rate of shots taken than most, wouldn't that have an impact on the Corsi numbers? Minnesota is having fewer chances at follow up possession, and their opponents are having more chances at follow up possession.

Natural Stat Trick has us ranked #20 in score/venue adjusted CF% and #2 in PDO. Let's say we were 8th or 10th or 12th (or whatever) in PDO, wouldn't it most likely result in an increase in our Corsi ranking and maybe we'd be more average-to-above average, instead of below.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
They're contenders. They're in the top group to come out of the west. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the Sharks Wild or Hawks in the finals.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
They are a contender but still have major ? with regard to them because thus far they have been unable to go deep in playoffs

Hawks in particular have proven a trouble for them

This is easily the best Wild team and West is very open so if there was ever a year for them to break thru it would be this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad