GDT: Minnehaha Mild vs. Reforado Assalanche, Preseason Gm.1, 1 pm MT

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
IMO they should be 7 and 8. We should assume that #7 will play at least 60 games this year. #8 should play between 10 and 30.
Ideally yes, JJ and Hunt should be 7 and 8 but the Avs don’t have the cap space to get a legit #6. I mean a real good 6 D will still cost you couple of mill which Avs don’t have right now

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Tufte is a storyline everyone is trying to make happen but it’s not going to. The Dallas line played decent collectively but Kiviranta was the best for me. He’s probably just a forechecker with only random offense but the puck skill looked good, to be able to carry the puck and handle and make passes at NHL speed consistently is actually a high bar for guys in that role.

As I said earlier Malinski also is not going to happen, now anyway. He’s going to have to break through from a callup. I think the capability is there but he needs a bit more time.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Tufte is a storyline everyone is trying to make happen but it’s not going to. The Dallas line played decent collectively but Kiviranta was the best for me. He’s probably just a forechecker with only random offense but the puck skill looked good, to be able to carry the puck and handle and make passes at NHL speed consistently is actually a high bar for guys in that role.

As I said earlier Malinski also is not going to happen, now anyway. He’s going to have to break through from a callup. I think the capability is there but he needs a bit more time.
Is there something I missed?

I haven’t seen any chatter at all about him. His signing was barely a blip on this board.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I haven’t seen any chatter at all about him. His signing was barely a blip on this board.
We have zero D depth so we're trying to find a #6, #7, #8.

JJ can only be one of these.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Hopefully Avs will have some cap space at the trade deadline so they can trade for a solid bottom pair D. Trade a pick or prospect for someone and have them retain salary

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
The things I'd do for Jesper Wallstedt. Nice of Yzerman to decide he needs a goalie and not go with the best one on the board so Minnesota takes him. Luckily for us Minnesota will let him toil in the AHL for another year rather than bringing him up. Might be one of the smartest goalies in hockey today in how he reads the play, positions himself, and applies the technical aspects of the game.

Was distracted for parts of the game via family though first impressions of Annunen are wow look at those rebounds, he's become more efficient in his mobility/mobility usage, he has the technical and positional parts of the game pretty down pat enough for NHL games, still concerned about his ability to deal with a high pace of play in-game. Honestly looks a lot like Jonas Johansson out there. Arvid Holm is an interesting one in that he looks more well rounded than Annunen in terms of mobility/agility and not as bad on his rebounds. Concern is the same as Annunen's in that I'm not convinced he can handle how high the pace of play can get in the NHL mentally. He might be another Bibeau/Werner.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I’m not sure what makes people think Annunen is ready to be an NHL goalie. It’s more likely than not he’s not ready yet, and for a team that’s a contender, you can’t overlook getting a back up goalie so you don’t have to overwork Georgiev again with 60+ starts

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I guess you’ve missed every bit of coverage of camp thus far and even Altitude pumping his tires plus Bednar calling his .5 ppg season in the AHL in his 4th year pro at the age of 24 a breakout season and a great year and when he was moved up to center Lehkonen and Nichushkin when MacKinnon was gone.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
How’s Tufte’s skating?

Any chance this guys size is similar to Thompson and Nuke where there could be a mini breakout?
It’s early but if he can take faceoffs play responsible d forecheck and add in a goal or two every now and again I’d like to see some size in the bottom six.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm not a very inspiring person to be fair.
You the third most respected poster here after myself and Sir Avgaard hockey professor.

I’m not sure what makes people think Annunen is ready to be an NHL goalie. It’s more likely than not he’s not ready yet, and for a team that’s a contender, you can’t overlook getting a back up goalie so you don’t have to overwork Georgiev again with 60+ starts
Last year they thought they could turn Newhook into a 2C after the fans bitched about it all summer. Look how that turned out. Similar situation here with the back up. The Avs need one and needed one 3 weeks ago.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
You the third most respected poster here after myself and Sir Avgaard hockey professor.

Last year they thought they could turn Newhook into a 2C after the fans bitched about it all summer. Look how that turned out. Similar situation here with the back up. The Avs need one and needed one 3 weeks ago.
IMO they are just waiting out the other teams and then pounce on someone that becomes available and cheap.

Reactions: Vk1ing

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't think he'll ever be an NHL goalie tbf.

Reactions: the_fan

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The Avs no longer get the benefit of the doubt after sleeping at the TDL. I will believe this when I see it but as of right now im gonna assume they going with Annunen as Goalie 2.
You could be right as the Avs don't have B2B games until Nov 24th and they have quite a few 2-day rest so the workload is not that bad for George. I still think they will pick up somebody though so that they can have Anunen getting games in the AHL instead of sitting on the bench in the NHL.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022

The avs tried newhook at center to see if he had the chops to make it, not because of the fan base. I can only comment at things that become public knowledge. There’s so much that goes on behind the scene.

Reactions: MarkT

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The avs tried newhook at center to see if he had the chops to make it, not because of the fan base. I can only comment at things that become public knowledge. There’s so much that goes on behind the scene.
I meant to say Avs fans were saying all offseason that they needed a 2C and that Newhook wouldnt be it but the Avs did nothing to address this last season. It turned out exactly how most of us said it would. The Avs cant make the same mistake with the back up issue right now. Team needs a back up and not Annunen who just isnt ready and may never be ready.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I meant to say Avs fans were saying all offseason that they needed a 2C and that Newhook wouldnt be it but the Avs did nothing to address this last season. It turned out exactly how most of us said it would. The Avs cant make the same mistake with the back up issue right now. Team needs a back up and not Annunen who just isnt ready and may never be ready.
Yeah after losing kadri it was pretty obvious. There are those that still think the position wasn’t addressed well. I have no issue giving a game or three to Justus, if frankie is done all year sure. Georgiev is gonna get most of the starts as long .as he’s (Frankie)healthy by the playoffs I won’t freak out

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I guess you’ve missed every bit of coverage of camp thus far and even Altitude pumping his tires plus Bednar calling his .5 ppg season in the AHL in his 4th year pro at the age of 24 a breakout season and a great year and when he was moved up to center Lehkonen and Nichushkin when MacKinnon was gone.
It does take a bit longer for the bigger men to eventually figure it out, especially him since Stars drafted him as a long-term project. I agree that there are others right now with an inside track, but Tufte becoming an NHL player wouldn't be a huge shock to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad