GDT: Minnehaha Mild vs. Reforado Assalanche, Preseason Gm.1, 1 pm MT

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
We have zero D depth so we're trying to find a #6, #7, #8.

JJ can only be one of these.
???

I was referring to Tufte in my post

I guess you’ve missed every bit of coverage of camp thus far and even Altitude pumping his tires plus Bednar calling his .5 ppg season in the AHL in his 4th year pro at the age of 24 a breakout season and a great year and when he was moved up to center Lehkonen and Nichushkin when MacKinnon was gone.
It seems I have.

Perhaps altitude was pumping him up, but in here it’s been crickets.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I didn't think there was a whole lot positive here, but game one of preseason... not a place to really care much. A few things:

Malinski's penalties definitely drew the ire of Bednar. He mouthed something NSFW on the third one. He also just played very poorly. He didn't do anything to help his case as the 7D. One more preseason game like this and he's destined to the AHL for sure.

Tufte is getting NHL games this year. Big body, hands in close, good skater for his size... if he shows effort consistently, he'd going to get a run on the 4th line quickly.

Kiviranta was solid and one of the better forwards, but saying that, he didn't stand out so much that he for sure earned a contract. Need more

The third line was clearly not totally invested in the game and going through the motions. I did appreciate the physicality they did bring though (though Colton's hit on the PK is a huge no-no that would get exposed in the NHL).

Annunen is going to get ate alive if he plays like this. The rebounds are terrible and he's slow. Just a really bad combo. I thought Holm looked better. More fluid in his movement, little better rebounds... he needs technical work. Honestly, the thought of either as the 2 is frightening.

Schueneman was the best D last night IMO. It wouldn't shock me to see him get another few games to see if that continues with the extra D competition. Also thought Clurman had a good game.

On the Wild side... Wallstedt is an absolute gem. I think he's a start for them as soon as next season. 25-26 tops. Walker is a top 9 NHLer. He may not crack the lineup right away (his waiver status works against him), but he's going to establish himself at some point this season. One guy that flashed a few times to me was Kumpulianen. I don't think he had a good game overall and certainly is far from ready... but he had 3 or 4 moments that really flashed in my eyes as a guy with a future.

Reactions: wayninja

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I remember Annunen having some serious hype a year or two after he was drafted - I know goalies are supposedly more of a crapshoot, but how and why do we end up with these guys? What skills is a guy who's getting hyped in European leagues not able to translate to the NHL? How does a guy with poor rebound control and lateral movement make it this far to begin with?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I remember Annunen having some serious hype a year or two after he was drafted - I know goalies are supposedly more of a crapshoot, but how and why do we end up with these guys? What skills is a guy who's getting hyped in European leagues not able to translate to the NHL? How does a guy with poor rebound control and lateral movement make it this far to begin with?

At the time he had a skillset that would have fit the league and the team. With the way the Avs have moved specifically in how they play in the defensive zone Annunen just doesn't have the skillset necessary. There's a reason the Avs have gone out and gotten goalies such as Grubauer/Bernier/Georgiev/Francouz in that they are a great fit with what the Avs do in the defensive zone. Annunen might find a job on a team that slows down the game and pressures the puck really well, the fit just isn't here with the Avs. The thing with Annunen has always been he has really good positioning, understands the technical game well and is huge. He's also sluggish and not very agile. Goal was to hopefully shore up those weaknesses to the point where they can be covered up by the defense but he hasn't reached that level yet.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My question with Annunen was he ever going to be an explosive enough of an athlete at the highest level? He's got good side and is pretty technically sound. But he's always been a bit pudgy. In his draft year the prevailing thought is he'll trim down and gain some quickness (handful of goalies each year get this treatment). You add quickness and lateral mobility to his game and you might have something. The problem has become that the athletic part just isn't there. He's trimmed down and still incredibly slow. His reading of the game isn't a high enough level to counteract this either. He won't ever be a big post to post save guy, but if he's slow to read on top of it... simple puck movement or quick passes off rebounds are going to be feasted on.

There are other goalies I would have preferred at his spot and it was a round or two high for him IMO... but I don't blame them taking Annunen. It was a risk on a guy having a flaw that could maybe be corrected. It just isn't working. In time you might get an okay #3. Which then becomes a question of him staying around for that role. Some goalies do, some don't. I'd also add that if you went with my preferred 1st round goalie year 1, year off, 3rd-5th round goalie, year off, repeat rotation... a guy like Annunen is who you take a chance in the 3rd-5th. It'll almost never work, but when it does, you have a chance at a Sorokin sort of guy.

One other thing to add. Small ice greatly exposes goalies who are not athletic. You'd think it wouldn't given a wider surface leaves more area to cover... but the pace of play picks up a ton on small ice. NA styles are quicker and less deliberate with puck decisions with a lot more cross ice movement and less collapsing/clog the middle defense. If a goalie doesn't jump at you as an athlete and they play on big ice, always be a bit wary.

Lumipanda

Oct 5, 2010
Finland
One other thing to add. Small ice greatly exposes goalies who are not athletic. Y

I really wish we'd move to smaller rinks in Finland, I don't quite understand the urge to play on bigger rink on Europe as a whole.
Reading the feedback on Annunen here is disheartening, I'd love nothing more than have a homegrown Finnish goalie in Avs, but it just isn't meant to happen with our goalie drafts in the first place it would appear.

That being said, I do hope Annunen gets a chance to swim or sink before he's given up on.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really wish we'd move to smaller rinks in Finland, I don't quite understand the urge to play on bigger rink on Europe as a whole.
Reading the feedback on Annunen here is disheartening, I'd love nothing more than have a homegrown Finnish goalie in Avs, but it just isn't meant to happen with our goalie drafts in the first place it would appear.

That being said, I do hope Annunen gets a chance to swim or sink before he's given up on.
It has been a while since I looked it up, but IIRC most Finnish teams are at the 60m x 28m standard. I don't think very many are below 28m (I think only one). Which doesn't sound like a lot, but it really is. And I agree, move to small ice already. I think the KHL is at 6 or 7 NHL size rinks, 10 or 11 Finnish size and the rest are full international size.

Small rink hockey is much more entertaining to me. I recall the days of people wanting the full 60x30 rinks, and absolutely hating it. Nothing is worse than the international Swedish trap game. :laugh:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
It has been a while since I looked it up, but IIRC most Finnish teams are at the 60m x 28m standard. I don't think very many are below 28m (I think only one). Which doesn't sound like a lot, but it really is. And I agree, move to small ice already. I think the KHL is at 6 or 7 NHL size rinks, 10 or 11 Finnish size and the rest are full international size.

Small rink hockey is much more entertaining to me. I recall the days of people wanting the full 60x30 rinks, and absolutely hating it. Nothing is worse than the international Swedish trap game. :laugh:

It always baffles me whenever people want international ice size rather than NA ice size. The international size might as well just be soccer on skates with how careful and deliberate every play is. There's just no need to play quick so they don't. It's so frustrating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad