Mini ATD - One Player Per Franchise (SIGN-UP CLOSED)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'll manage the New Orleans Brass, a defunct ECHL team.

thumbnail.php

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Great!

In the sake of saving time if you guys have any questions on which teams players count for feel free to ask now. Here's a few...

Sprague Cleghorn: Montreal Canadiens (this one is really tough, feel free to convince me otherwise if you think he should count elsewhere)

I would put Cleghorn with Ottawa if only to put him back in the game.If he's in Montreal he's buried.Since it's so close, no harm done in favoring the option which puts Cleghorn back into play.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
There is no possibility to make it so you have to pick 1 player from each team? That would mean that you would need to cut away teams somehow, whether that making it era specific or whatever.

It's your choice though, but 30+ teams are still quite a fair share to pick from to put together a team of 20 players, which would mean that you would never really need to touch teams with a scarce selection unless it's BPA, but of course, it might not be fun to draft the 8th best player from Hartford/Carolina while Hossa is still on board or whoever else.

Maybe add coaches to the mix as well? That you can't pick a player from a franchise that you picked your coach from. Some coaches might be slightly harder to specify franchise for but should be doable.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'll be the St.Louis Eagles

I'm off on a family trip today and will be back tomorrow so let's hold off starting until then.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I assume anyone who's already in a draft in which they can't be bothered to even vote or participate in their own series will be denied entry to this draft, is that correct?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I assume anyone who's already in a draft in which they can't be bothered to even vote or participate in their own series will be denied entry to this draft, is that correct?

Participating in this draft should not in any way affect someone's participation in another draft they are already in. I will send out a PM to everyone who is in both the MLD and this draft, since that draft is still currently ongoing.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Yeah that's no problem.

If one's time dictates which draft(s) one can devote energy to, it should be both, neither, or if only one, then the one that started first.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would put Cleghorn with Ottawa if only to put him back in the game.If he's in Montreal he's buried.Since it's so close, no harm done in favoring the option which puts Cleghorn back into play.

Cleghorn only played 2 seasons for Ottawa, I don't think there's any way to justify him as an Ottawa player. He would either have to be a Canadien or a pre-NHL player. 4 seasons for the Habs, 7 in the NHA, let's make him pre-NHL.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Please re-consider. That's awfully confining.

I thought if you chose a player from a NHA team then he represents the whole league and no other NHA player may be taken.

At the very least allow one pre-NHL pro (NHA/PCHA) and one pre-NHL amateur (e.g., Silver Seven greats, early Montreal amateur HHOFers).

All Ottawa players count for the current Senators franchise, including those from the Silver Seven.

I've taken a quick look at all the teams, with only 20 roster positions to fill there are plenty of options, so we will stay with the pre-NHLers all count for one team policy.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
There is no possibility to make it so you have to pick 1 player from each team? That would mean that you would need to cut away teams somehow, whether that making it era specific or whatever.

It's your choice though, but 30+ teams are still quite a fair share to pick from to put together a team of 20 players, which would mean that you would never really need to touch teams with a scarce selection unless it's BPA, but of course, it might not be fun to draft the 8th best player from Hartford/Carolina while Hossa is still on board or whoever else.

Maybe add coaches to the mix as well? That you can't pick a player from a franchise that you picked your coach from. Some coaches might be slightly harder to specify franchise for but should be doable.

When I first thought of this idea I wanted to include coaches, but I think it makes things too difficult. It will be challenging to get specific types of players while staying within the one player per franchise rule...finding a coach that fits your team will be even harder. I could see the whole draft coming down to how people drafted their coaches and I'd rather it be about the players.

We'll see how this one goes without coaches and then maybe that can be one of the changes if we do another one in the future.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Without coaches would be a bad precedent. It would suck.

How about the rules not apply to coaches: choose any coach one wants. The rules would only apply to players. Simple yet not derivative.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Without coaches would be a bad precedent. It would suck.

How about the rules not apply to coaches: choose any coach one wants. The rules would only apply to players. Simple yet not derivative.

I would be fine with this. Everyone will get a top level coach so it won't be a huge factor.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I would be fine with this. Everyone will get a top level coach so it won't be a huge factor.
Coaching is all about style, not level.

A dump-and-chase successful coach from over half a century ago (do you know who mastered that style? you should. Of course, so many don't read bio info that one works so hard to compile that one wonders why bother?) would be a poor match with Gretzky, for example.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Coaching is all about style, not level.

A dump-and-chase successful coach from over half a century ago (do you know who mastered that style? you should. Of course, so many don't read bio info that one works so hard to compile that one wonders why bother?) would be a poor match with Gretzky, for example.

Correct it is more about style, not that level doesn't count at all...perhaps I should've said everyone will have plenty of options for coaches that fit their team's style. If coaches counted for each team you could get locked out from getting the right type of coach.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
at least one bio clearly says Jack Adams pioneered it, but it would not surprise me if it was attributed to someone else in one or more other sources. Most often development doesn't occur like flipping a switch; it is gradual.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
at least one bio clearly says Jack Adams pioneered it, but it would not surprise me if it was attributed to someone else in one or more other sources. Most often development doesn't occur like flipping a switch; it is gradual.

Pretty sure he's referring to Tommy Gorman who was my ATD coach this year

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Pretty sure he's referring to Tommy Gorman who was my ATD coach this year
Yeah, I was. He was cited in multiple sources as heralding in forechecking with the Black Hawks and Maroons, winning championships and converts with the style.

I thought about how Adams in Detroit used it famously in 1942 to almost beat the Leafs, but then lost four straight in the playoffs when the Leafs adjusted its line-up to get more hustle to the puck. Adams won the cup twice in the 1930's with the style, but it was AFTER Gorman's cup success with it.

Hence, I see both as equivalent in style, but was thinking about Gorman.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'll give a couple more days to see if we can get an 8th team, otherwise we'll just go with 7.

Things can always change, but plan on getting the draft order Wednesday and the clock starting Thursday (as usual drafting can begin prior to the clock if GMs choose to announce their picks early).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad