Mini ATD - One Player Per Franchise (SIGN-UP CLOSED)

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Man it's dead around here...where's the tumbleweed emoji?

Anyone interested in doing a very casual, small draft for fun?

Here's my idea...

- All-time, 4-8 teams, you can only draft 1 player from each franchise, 12 F, 6 D, 2 G + 1 Coach (doesn't count towards franchise count).

- Players that played for multiple teams count for the team they spent their peak/prime years with, a player is only eligible for ONE franchise (I will make the final decision on close calls, no time for voting and whatnot).

- Players whose peak/primes occurred outside the NHL count for their country, and you can only have 1 player per country (i.e. if you draft Sergei Makarov he counts for Russia/USSR). Czech Rep. and Slovakia are one country because virtually every player that would be drafted would have played for CSSR.

- Franchises that moved all count as one (i.e. players who played for the Whalers count for the same franchise as players who played for the Hurricanes)

- Players whose peak/primes were with a pre-NHL team count for a pre-NHL franchise, this includes all PCHA, WCHL, NHA, etc.

- The old Senators and new Senators count as the same franchise.

- The Montreal Maroons count as their own franchise, so do the NY Americans

- 12 hour clock for the entire draft, but please be available to check in multiple times per day most of the time.

- NO TRADING, but you can swap full sets of picks before your first pick is made.

Post if you'd like to sign up

Just to be clear, a player will be judged on his ENTIRE CAREER not just the portion he played for his qualifying team.

1. Hawkey Town 18 - Chicago Cougars
2. VanIslander - New Orleans Brass
3. Iceman - California Golden Seals
4. Johnny Engine - Shearstown Tigers
5. jarek - Visa Smallenfreudeners
6. BenchBrawl - Quebec Bulldogs
7. tony d - St. Louis Eagles

Last edited:

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I spent half my childhood in Kamloops and there's plenty of tumbleweed there.

Casual? for fun? Oh yeah.

I proposed the EXACT same thing to BenchBrawl when he PM'd me his desire to do another marathon draft and he never bothered to reply.

I am so in. I'll call in sick to work if need be for this.

Assemble the rules, get a sign-up thread started and I'll post a team franchise name (a real historical team) as usual.

Let's go. :yo:

I don't think you need to take off from work for this, but I like the enthusiasm. I'll wait to start a sign up thread until we at least get interest from a couple more GMs and have the minimum required of 4.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Sign me up as well.

Great!

In the sake of saving time if you guys have any questions on which teams players count for feel free to ask now. Here's a few...

Patrick Roy: Montreal
Chris Chelios: Chicago
King Clancy: Ottawa
Ron Francis: Hartford/Carolina
Bill Quackenbush: Detroit
Marian Hossa: Ottawa
Larry Murphy: Pittsburgh
Mark Recchi: Philly
Mark Messier: Edmonton
Al Macinnis: Calgary
Red Kelly: Detroit
Sprague Cleghorn: pre-NHL
Joe Malone: pre-NHL
Lanny McDonald: Toronto
Pat Lafontaine: Buffalo
Ed Belfour - Chicago
Adam Oates - Boston
Keith Tkachuk - Winnipeg/Phoenix
Doug Gilmour - Toronto
Joe Mullen - Calgary
Babe Siebert - Montreal Canadiens
Vincent Damphousse - Montreal Canadiens
Harry Cameron - Toronto
Newsey Lalonde - Montreal Canadiens
Rob Blake - LA
Scott Niedermayer - NJ
Ed Westfall - Boston
Max Bentley - Chicago
Ryan Suter - Minnesota

Also just to be clear, a player will be judged on his ENTIRE CAREER not just the portion he played for his qualifying team.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Czech Rep. and Slovakia are one country because virtually every player that would be drafted would have played for CSSR.
:( Tell Hasek that he and Chara are from the same country; tell Jagr that he and Hossa are fellow countrymen.

Please re-consider this. If a player played post-Soviet era when the Czechs and Slovaks were free to have their own country again after a long time of foreign rule... let them represent that country.

Last edited:

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
:( Tell Hasek that he and Chara are from the same country; tell Jagr that he and Hossa are fellow countrymen.

Please re-consider this. If a player played post-Soviet era when the Czechs and Slovaks were free to have their own country again after a long time of foreign rule... let them represent that country.

This strikes home. My father escaped Hungary as a 25-year-old man when the Hungarian Revolution in 1956 failed to expel the Soviets. He wanted to go to America or Australia but by the time he made his way to England, those two countries had reached their "quota" of Hungarian political refugees. So, he accepted being sent to Canada, landed in Toronto, was given $5 and told "This is your new country. Go and live your life."

I am all for the Czech Republic and Slovakia being recognized individually, but rememer the above players all played in the NHL and for the purposes of this draft would count for their NHL franchises. We are only talking about players with non-NHL peaks/primes. Can you think of a single Czech or Slovak player that will be drafted who didn't play for CSSR? I cannot and therefore don't think it will be a factor.

To be clear, Hasek would count for Buffalo, Jagr would count for Pittsburgh, Martinec would count for CSSR.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I am all for the Czech Republic and Slovakia being recognized individually, but rememer the above players all played in the NHL and for the purposes of this draft would count for their NHL franchises. We are only talking about players with non-NHL peaks/primes. Can you think of a single Czech or Slovak player that will be drafted who didn't play for CSSR? I cannot and therefore don't think it will be a factor.

To be clear, Hasek would count for Buffalo, Jagr would count for Pittsburgh, Martinec would count for CSSR.
Ahhh,.... I see.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
What about nha? Wha?

Maybe it's just easier to count all defunct North American teams as one?

Not a bad idea, the rule I had set previously was that pre-NHL teams would become part of the same city's current team (or nearby team).

EDIT: I like your way better, makes sure the older players get drafted.

Last edited:

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Not a bad idea, the rule I had set previously was that pre-NHL teams would become part of the same city's current team (or nearby team). For example Joe Malone counts for Quebec/Colorado.

Either way would work, although I will say I kinda like the PCHA having their own "franchise"

EDIT: I like your way better, makes sure the older players get drafted.

Why are you guys determining which teams count for each player pre-draft? Why not allow the picking GM to announce the team the player will be representing on their franchise?

Either way, I think I will sign up for this.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I proposed the EXACT same thing to BenchBrawl when he PM'd me his desire to do another marathon draft and he never bothered to reply.

Huh what? I did reply but never got a response.I found that weird, maybe some kind of technical problem occured? The title of my reply was Re:Marathon, check your inbox maybe you missed it.

Edit: Yes, just verified, I sent it and you were the recipient.Not sure what the hell happened.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Why are you guys determining which teams count for each player pre-draft? Why not allow the picking GM to announce the team the player will be representing on their franchise?

Either way, I think I will sign up for this.

because then you get cheap manipulation tactics like someone picking lemieux for pittsburgh, and jagr for florida.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hi VI!

DSC_1208.JPG

I was just passing through today and thought I'd swing by the arena to catch a Rivermen/Bulls game. A couple of listless teams, I tell ya - no one really wants to win! Same thing I thought when I saw a game in Birmingham just last night.

If I knew where the GM's box was I'd have dropped in and said hello.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Huh what? I did reply but never got a response.I found that weird, maybe some kind of technical problem occured? The title of my reply was Re:Marathon, check your inbox maybe you missed it.

Edit: Yes, just verified, I sent it and you were the recipient.Not sure what the hell happened.
What-we-got-here-is-01.png

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
because then you get cheap manipulation tactics like someone picking lemieux for pittsburgh, and jagr for florida.

There could be some rules put in place to guard against this.

Say, the player must have played a minimum of 5 years with his team. It wouldn't open up a HUGE amount of options, but it would make things a HELL of a lot easier for the person who would have to decide which team the player represents.

So, the player must have played with the team for at least 5 years. Or, failing that, you go with the longest tenured team (should be unlikely).

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
There could be some rules put in place to guard against this.

Say, the player must have played a minimum of 5 years with his team. It wouldn't open up a HUGE amount of options, but it would make things a HELL of a lot easier for the person who would have to decide which team the player represents.

So, the player must have played with the team for at least 5 years. Or, failing that, you go with the longest tenured team (should be unlikely).

The rules are a player counts for only one team, and that's the team he had his peak/prime with. It's obvious for most players, I just started listing a few who weren't as obvious. In the interest of saving time I will make the decision on all close calls. Feel free to PM me or post about players you are unsure of.

Looks like we have enough interest to do this. I'll make a sign up thread later today and we'll start drafting mid to late week.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Does Francis count as Hartford/Carolina or Pittsburgh?

MacInnis , STL or Calgary?

What about a guy like Sprague Cleghorn?

Bill Quackenbush?

Roy -> MTL
Messier -> EDM
Chelios -> CHI
Kelly -> DET

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
About the pre-NHL teams, the rule isn't clear to me.Do each pre-NHL franchises count individually (so you can pick someone from the Montreal Wanderers and someone else from the Vancouver Millionnares) or are you allowed only one pre-NHL franchise that counts for all of them?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Fine, I'm in as the Quebec Bulldogs.

Great to have you aboard.

Does Francis count as Hartford/Carolina or Pittsburgh?

MacInnis , STL or Calgary?

What about a guy like Sprague Cleghorn?

Bill Quackenbush?

Roy -> MTL
Messier -> EDM
Chelios -> CHI
Kelly -> DET

See post #6

About the pre-NHL teams, the rule isn't clear to me.Do each pre-NHL franchises count individually (so you can pick someone from the Montreal Wanderers and someone else from the Vancouver Millionnares) or are you allowed only one pre-NHL franchise that counts for all of them?

You are only allowed one pre-NHL player, so if you pick someone from the Montreal Wanderers you are not allowed to pick someone from the Vancouver Millionaires or Seattle Metropolitans or Edmonton Eskimos, etc.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
You are only allowed one pre-NHL player, so if you pick someone from the Montreal Wanderers you are not allowed to pick someone from the Vancouver Millionaires or Seattle Metropolitans or Edmonton Eskimos, etc.
Please re-consider. That's awfully confining.

I thought if you chose a player from a NHA team then he represents the whole league and no other NHA player may be taken.

At the very least allow one pre-NHL pro (NHA/PCHA) and one pre-NHL amateur (e.g., Silver Seven greats, early Montreal amateur HHOFers).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad